October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Stellaris

More
10 Mar 2018 10:08 #265255 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Stellaris
YEAH BUDDY

The real question is what to do with their worlds and peoples. Will they be allowed to experience the glory of the hallowed grounds of earth? Will they be left on their own worlds and given rights more appropriate to a conquered species? ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2018 13:48 #265274 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic Stellaris
Someone needs to let me know when it's on sale again (and what bits to buy) as I'll never play it enough to warrant paying anywhere near full price for it.

More
10 Mar 2018 14:12 #265277 by Gary Sax
I'll try!

Trying the New Horizons Star Trek mod for this. I don't even know what race to start with! Tons of little side races that might be fun... but I should really just go with a Federation founding race. Maybe Andorians?

More
10 Mar 2018 15:42 #265281 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Stellaris

Gary Sax wrote: YEAH BUDDY

The real question is what to do with their worlds and peoples. Will they be allowed to experience the glory of the hallowed grounds of earth? Will they be left on their own worlds and given rights more appropriate to a conquered species? ;)

We are a Xenophilic race and we welcome them into the brotherhood of man with far to firm a hand shake. They shall be acclimated, or should one say assimilated, in short order. Our Federation is actually quite a nice place. We have color TV and air conditioning.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Mar 2018 16:06 #265283 by ratpfink
Replied by ratpfink on topic Stellaris

Southernman wrote: Someone needs to let me know when it's on sale again (and what bits to buy) as I'll never play it enough to warrant paying anywhere near full price for it.

It's on sale right now at the Humble store.

More
10 Mar 2018 16:10 #265284 by southernman

ratpfink wrote:

Southernman wrote: Someone needs to let me know when it's on sale again (and what bits to buy) as I'll never play it enough to warrant paying anywhere near full price for it.

I'm not a video gamer (just an old ex-PC gamer and just like the idea of a 4x space game) so my knowledge of buying stuff stops at Steam and the Paradox shop, I've never even heard of Humble.

More
10 Mar 2018 16:34 #265287 by Gary Sax

repoman wrote:

We are a Xenophilic race and we welcome them into the brotherhood of man with far to firm a hand shake. They shall be acclimated, or should one say assimilated, in short order. Our Federation is actually quite a nice place. We have color TV and air conditioning.

Gotta build those pleasure domes.

More
10 Mar 2018 18:20 - 10 Mar 2018 18:23 #265291 by southernman
OK, found Humble. What's the difference between the three editions, which is worth it and which is just fan bait ?

And what about the expansions and DLC, any of them a must-have if if I buy the base game now ?
Last edit: 10 Mar 2018 18:23 by southernman.

More
10 Mar 2018 18:50 - 11 Mar 2018 10:02 #265292 by Gary Sax
Other editions don't add much. Get the base.

Paradox is very good about rolling most important changes into the *patch* rather than the pay DLC content. So you don't strictly need to buy the DLC to get a massively upgraded game. I like the Utopia DLC itself best since it adds dyson spheres and a few other late game wonder technology, but it super not necessary at all. They ended up rolling the vital parts of Utopia into the full game when they realized how important is was (a sort of civic system called Ascension Perks). The most recent one (Apocalypse) adds death star and some other end game toys but again, by the time you get these things you've generally already begun the end of the game so I don't consider them vital.

I guess overall would not get the DLC unless it is also massively on sale, and even then I'd wait to see if you like the base game. I do think synthetic dawn is a cool dlc if you're into the robotics part of sci fi, it adds robot empires and some borg like civics, etc that are very cool.

This is a good list I mostly agree with:
www.strategygamer.com/articles/stellaris-dlc-buying-guide/

Though I consider Utopia less essential than they discuss in here because they ended up putting the ascension perks system into the non-DLC game because it ended up being a key part of what they are expanding. Though some of the coolest ascension perks (gene modification, psionics, cybernetics) are still behind DLC.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2018 10:02 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
10 Mar 2018 23:17 #265302 by Gary Sax
Historical developments.
Attachments:

More
11 Mar 2018 07:21 #265310 by repoman

Gary Sax wrote:

repoman wrote:

Gotta build those pleasure domes.

And by "Pleasure Domes" you clearly mean "Fortresses" to quell unrest through the pleasurable application of my hobnailed boots to the soft necks of the discontented.

More
11 Mar 2018 10:01 #265313 by Gary Sax
Well, in this game you can build either one so your call. ;)

More
12 Mar 2018 11:11 #265393 by Gary Sax
I don't know what it is about the first, say, half of a Stellaris game. It's totally hypnotic to me. I'm not even sure it's that good re: tension but it makes me want to play.

I look forward to when they can make the 2nd half as good as the first. I think politics and trade need a boost. War is now interesting into the late game, so they fixed that w/apocalypse patch.

More
12 Mar 2018 12:03 #265402 by repoman
Politics is a bit weak I agree. Game is very similar to Sins of a Solar Empire.

In Galactic News, the Ancient Guardians have awoken and sent out a message of "Submit or be destroyed."

We kneel to no one.

More
12 Mar 2018 13:02 #265421 by southernman

ratpfink wrote:

Bought it - now to see how long before I actually start playing it ...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.877 seconds