October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

Explain your stupid avatar.

More
17 Jan 2018 12:17 #261203 by Not Sure

Sagrilarus wrote: It's turned out to be a good choice for one particular reason -- the gold background is quite unique, allowing me to scroll down through long pages in a hurry and pick out my posts.

I'll mention that I recognize most of you by your avatar not your name, so when you switch I have to mentally change gears. No reason you shouldn't, but those of you that have run the same avatar for years are recognizable as old friends, even if we've never met in person.

Same thoughts for me, although green instead of gold, obviously. It's easy to spot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2018 12:52 #261209 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Explain your stupid avatar.
I'm Superman. And I'm straight outta Krypton.

More
17 Jan 2018 16:51 - 17 Jan 2018 16:52 #261225 by birdman37
I'm the Bhantom. Ghost who clucks. The chook who cannot die.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2018 16:52 by birdman37.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
17 Jan 2018 16:53 #261226 by Dr. Mabuse
Back in the early days of F:AT I used this:

My current one is based on the logo I designed for my TrashFest gaming event in 2017.

More
17 Jan 2018 16:58 #261227 by Not Sure

Dr. Mabuse wrote: Back in the early days of F:AT I used this:

My current one is based on the logo I designed for my TrashFest gaming event in 2017.

Yeah, but we want the raygun Halloween costume avatar back!

More
17 Jan 2018 17:17 - 17 Jan 2018 21:59 #261229 by Cranberries
My BGG avatar is this thing, which was a 3d model of a skull someone did that I turned green.

My current avatar comes from a picture of an underwater sculpture in Mexico, of the cast of the morning news program The Today Show that I saw at a traveling exhibit by National Geographic. I cropped it to emphasize Matt Lauer, who, in hindsight, was probably harassing someone when this sculpture was made.

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Jan 2018 21:59 by Cranberries.

More
17 Jan 2018 17:31 #261232 by stoic
Replied by stoic on topic Explain your stupid avatar.

cranberries wrote: My BGG avatar is this thing, which was a 3d model of a skull someone did that I turned green.

My current avatar comes from a picture of an underwater sculpture in Mexico, of the cast of the morning news program The Today Show that I saw at a traveling exhibit by National Geographic. I cropped it to emphasize Matt Lauer, who, hindsight, was probably harassing someone when this sculpture was made.

#METOO
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
18 Jan 2018 03:11 #261302 by Dr. Mabuse

Not Sure wrote:

Dr. Mabuse wrote: Back in the early days of F:AT I used this:

Yeah, but we want the raygun Halloween costume avatar back!

Oh man, I totally forgot about that one! My favourite costume as an adult.

More
19 Jan 2018 18:15 #261543 by Almalik
Replied by Almalik on topic Explain your stupid avatar.
Mine is just a counter from the Nuklear Winter '68 expansion Heart of Darkness. I've had at least one other one prior to this, but don't remember what it was\they were.

Back in the beginning I'd probably have picked a counter from Dragon pass or Nomad Gods, but someone had already cornered that market.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
19 Jan 2018 19:24 #261545 by Michael Barnes
Like you all don't know, it's Mark E. Smith of The Fall. Some people still think it is me, though.

But do you know...the rest...of the story?

It was back when I first started actually posting things to BGG, in 2004 or 2005. I was working this pitiful library job that I kind of hated and I started realizing what an antagonistic force I could be on that web site, particular after Bobby Martin and I started stirring things up. I was listening to The Fall a lot at the time. Like, a lot a lot. Those were iPod days, and I had almost everything loaded up on it and I'd sit in my office and listen to The Fall all day while pretending to work. But here is the secret history. It was NOT my original choice. For about two days, it was this image of Shane MacGowan's pearly whites:

Believe it or not, I kind of thought it was a bit too much. Even though I wanted something obnoxious and upsetting. So I said screw it, and went with Mark E. Smith.

What I was not prepared for was how upset some people would be about an avatar of a really ugly man. I got HATE MAIL about it, which was really weird to me. Someone at some point said that it didn't "add value" to the site. I had people ask me to change it, which blew my mind. So of course I did not, and now it is my signature image on the internet.

Back when I got banned, I was actually touched by that rally where a bunch of folks changed their avatar to mine, that was pretty neat.

The funny thing is, I have never once thought about changing it and I never have, not even for a joke or anything. Well over a decade.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, southernman, Black Barney

More
20 Jan 2018 15:57 #261575 by Ancient_of_MuMu
The dentist who recently fixed Shane MacGowan's teeth did so because he regarded it as the Mount Everest of dentistry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
20 Jan 2018 16:35 #261578 by Shellhead
Barnes, it makes me sad to contemplate the extraordinarily uptight members of TOS. It makes me wonder if the board game hobby has a particular appeal to people suffering from OCD.

More
21 Jan 2018 09:31 - 21 Jan 2018 09:41 #261593 by Cranberries

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: The dentist who recently fixed Shane MacGowan's teeth did so because he regarded it as the Mount Everest of dentistry.

The new teeth have, however, already expanded his diet. The dentist added: “There was a moving moment when someone gave Shane an apple to eat … something he hadn’t done in 20 years.”

relevant passage from Cryptonomicon

Oral surgeons, it seemed, were not comfortable delving more than elbow-deep into a patient's head. They had been living in big houses and driving to work in Mercedes Benz sedans long before Randy had dragged his sorry ass into their offices with his horrifying X-ray and they had absolutely nothing to gain by even attempting to remove these not so much wisdom teeth in the normal sense as apocalyptic portents from the Book of Revelations. The best way to remove these teeth was with a guillotine. None of these oral surgeons would even consider undertaking the extraction until Randy had signed a legal disclaimer too thick to staple, something that almost had to come in a three ring binder, the general import of which was that one of the normal consequences of the procedure was for the patient's head to end up floating in a jug of formaldehyde in a tourist trap just over the Mexican border. In this manner Randy wandered from one oral surgeon's office to another for a few weeks, like a teratomic outcast roving across a post nuclear wasteland, being driven out of one village after another by the brickbats of wretched, terrified peasants. Until one day when he walked into an office and the nurse at the front desk almost seemed to expect him, and led him back into an exam room for a private consult with the oral surgeon, who was busy doing something in one of his little rooms that involved putting a lot of bone dust into the air. The nurse bade him sit down, proffered coffee, then turned on the light box and took Randy's X rays and stuck them up there. She took a step back, crossed her arms, and gazed at the pictures in wonder. "So," she murmured, "these are the famous wisdom teeth!"
Last edit: 21 Jan 2018 09:41 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, cdennett

More
21 Jan 2018 12:50 - 21 Jan 2018 12:51 #261606 by Not Sure
Ah, the good old days when Stephenson wrote like Pynchon on a recreational-level dose of Adderall.

If that sort of thing still amuses anyone else, I highly recommend checking out Nick Harkaway. The Gone-Away World and Angelmaker are both batshit in the best sort of way. I've been saving his new one (Gnomon) for a long plane trip I have coming up.
Last edit: 21 Jan 2018 12:51 by Not Sure.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Nodens

More
23 Jan 2018 17:08 #261887 by Hex Sinister
Mine is simply one of my favorite records, DRAGNET by the Fall. My all-time favorite group. It's also somewhat representative of my personality and my mild obsession/struggle with balance and duality.

Fun fact: In the track "SPECTRE vs. RECTOR" there is reference to Yogge Sothothe.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.294 seconds