October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

We need to talk about Into the Breach

More
10 Mar 2018 13:04 - 10 Mar 2018 13:05 #265272 by Jexik
I take back not liking the Blitzkrieg. I failed a couple times, but they're way more fun when you try to get that 2 islands in 30 minutes achievement. Stop trying to be perfect and just protect that grid in record time! Go to islands with Ooze and spider bosses.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2018 13:05 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2018 06:11 #265348 by Matt Thrower
It's a weird game. Every time I finish a run, I feel like I'm pretty much done with it. Then the next time I've got ten minutes to kill I figure I might as well start another one and, what do you know, that's two hours gone.

One thing about it that does irk me is not being able to test the squads before unlocking them. Some I really just don't get on with - Blitzkrieg and Flame Behemoths so far - and that makes it harder to unlock more achievements to get more entertaining squads to play.

The Behemoths sound more fun than they proved - the lack of direct damage is really frustrating.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
12 Mar 2018 10:10 #265383 by Jexik

MattDP wrote: One thing about it that does irk me is not being able to test the squads before unlocking them. Some I really just don't get on with - Blitzkrieg and Flame Behemoths so far - and that makes it harder to unlock more achievements to get more entertaining squads to play.

Random and Custom are your friends during this dark time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
12 Mar 2018 10:26 #265389 by Count Orlok
I finally managed to win with the Blitzkrieg squad. I'm not sure exactly what went right, but I avoided sectors with objects liable to lightning destruction, and rushed to upgrade damage on the lightning mech and boulder thrower. More than anything, I think I just got lucky on the final island, where I was screwed over many times before. The bomb is just as vulnerable to collateral damage as the stupid train.

Next onto the Steel Judoka - any suggestions as to how to play them? They seem a bit low on the damage potential.

More
12 Mar 2018 11:23 #265394 by Gary Sax
The Judo dude has armor and plenty of health iirc. So it needs to keep in there, take damage and flip your opponents to shoot at each other.

More
12 Mar 2018 13:53 - 12 Mar 2018 14:02 #265439 by Jexik

Gary Sax wrote: The Judo dude has armor and plenty of health iirc. So it needs to keep in there, take damage and flip your opponents to shoot at each other.

Yeah, sometimes, the answer with them isn't to kill stuff or even move stuff. Just stick the armor guy in the path of the speeding firefly spit. The siege mech is pretty great though (damages and pushes in 4 directions), especially if you upgrade it so it does more damage and/or doesn't damage your own buildings. You can also take a look at levels in advance to see if there are gonna be good spots to pull guys into water. The sandworm enemies are the absolute worst though... man that made one of those islands rough! They cannot be judo'd or grav'd.
Last edit: 12 Mar 2018 14:02 by Jexik.

More
12 Mar 2018 17:55 #265491 by Gary Sax
They are just the worst generally for any of the teams that need a bunch of things to come together to do damage.

More
14 Mar 2018 13:04 - 14 Mar 2018 13:08 #265663 by Jexik
Hazardous is the last team I have to beat it with. Abe Isamu (armor guy) makes it (and Zenith Guard) easier to win with, but it's still hard.

One weird rule quirk that makes the Ice team way better- Ice will not overwrite a shield, so if you pick the pilot who starts with a shield, she can get that one achievement super easily. I didn't actually know this in my win with them, I got used to putting the ice mech on spawns or in the line of enemy fire. They have trouble with the "kill 7 enemies" missions, but I do like the control that this squad offers.

Some pilots really do make teams better. Like I said, the rust team is way better with Camila, and Abe helps a bunch of squads. Any squads that don't need that armor though... I have a hard time arguing against Camila or some of the other movement oriented pilots. A lot of the time, the unwinnable looking situations seem to stem from just feeling stuck.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2018 13:08 by Jexik.

More
14 Mar 2018 16:26 - 14 Mar 2018 16:26 #265681 by Gary Sax
I need to get back into it. I've had long periods to game with, so I've been playing Stellaris. When I get back to shorter chunks I think I'll do Into the Breach again.

Yeah, the pilot-team synergy is super important. I think they should say something about it generally, tbh, so that you don't get too discouraged on some of the squads.

My favorite is the AI dude who gives you an extra move, though it requires a reactor.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2018 16:26 by Gary Sax.

More
01 Sep 2018 12:09 #280916 by Jexik
I started over again now that it's on more platforms (Mac, Switch, probably more). It really is a great board gamer's video game. I had gotten all 55 achievements before, probably took me around 50 hours, playing mostly on normal. It'll be much quicker this time around; I got the Blitzkrieg 2-Island speed run on the first try for example. I've gotten a better handle on the Steel Judoka squad.

More
01 Sep 2018 12:35 #280920 by Gary Sax
I played this so much, but ground to a halt on some of the more complex combos. My favorite was fire team, just a ton of fun.

I would 1000% buy a into the breach model/toy.

More
04 Sep 2018 07:55 - 04 Sep 2018 07:56 #281030 by Jexik
The other thing that I've started doing is spending a little more time contemplating my initial placement. That first turn is often where you'll establish control or start watching things slide away from you. You can see how far enemies can go, so sometimes you can bait them into attempting to web Camila or take a ranged attack at a guy who does not have a building behind him, etc. Especially with guys that are a little more tricky to use, like the Mirror Mech (brute that shoots both ways), or the Judo guy (leave all 4 spaces next to him open, preferably with one or more water spaces among them), putting them somewhere where they can act safely even if they can get webbed or jammed up really helps.

Blitzkrieg is probably my new favorite just for the fun factor and "ah fuck it" sort of attitude. I've gotten better at not blowing up my own stuff too. Yet another squad where I like using Abe (armor guy) on the ranged mech in this case. The hook mech already has armor. I usually don't upgrade lightning guy's damage at all just so I can set up crazy chains with my own guys.

When it came to doing the all of one type run for the custom squad, I had a ton of fun with Lightning Mech, Judo Mech, and that punching guy from the Rift Walkers (first squad).
Last edit: 04 Sep 2018 07:56 by Jexik.

More
04 Sep 2018 09:01 #281034 by Chaz
I just got this on the Switch, and have spent quite a while trying to get through island 1. Finally, I did it, and miraculously, I got through island 2 on the same mission! I went into the store to buy stuff, and wound up with no other weapons I wanted to buy, and one star short to buy a new core. I had a passive that put up a shield after a building is hit, and wasn't really using it, so I sold it to get the last star I needed.

Except I didn't sell it. I somehow mis-clicked, and sold the fist weapon from my main mech. That's when I found out there's no undo or buyback option in the store. So, with a mech with no actual weapon he could use, I had to bail on the most successful run I've had so far because of the stupid store.

I'm sure I'll get back to it at some point, but even two days later, I'm still too annoyed at it to start it up again.

More
04 Sep 2018 09:33 #281037 by Gary Sax

Jexik wrote: The other thing that I've started doing is spending a little more time contemplating my initial placement. That first turn is often where you'll establish control or start watching things slide away from you. You can see how far enemies can go, so sometimes you can bait them into attempting to web Camila or take a ranged attack at a guy who does not have a building behind him, etc. Especially with guys that are a little more tricky to use, like the Mirror Mech (brute that shoots both ways), or the Judo guy (leave all 4 spaces next to him open, preferably with one or more water spaces among them), putting them somewhere where they can act safely even if they can get webbed or jammed up really helps.

My moment with this game was realizing just this... I started looking at how far the enemy could move and placing accordingly, especially on that first turn. It super helped, especially with any entangling or grabbing enemies.

More
04 Sep 2018 11:38 - 04 Sep 2018 11:43 #281065 by Jexik

Chaz wrote: I had a passive that put up a shield after a building is hit, and wasn't really using it, so I sold it to get the last star I needed.

Yeah, that's one of the worst passives.

Except I didn't sell it. I somehow mis-clicked, and sold the fist weapon from my main mech. That's when I found out there's no undo or buyback option in the store. So, with a mech with no actual weapon he could use, I had to bail on the most successful run I've had so far because of the stupid store.

I'm sure I'll get back to it at some point, but even two days later, I'm still too annoyed at it to start it up again.

That really sucks. That's like when you die in Phantasy Star IV and realize you haven't saved for 6 hours. Yeah, aside from the 1 reset per mission and being able to undo moves if you haven't taken an action since the move, there isn't a whole lot of forgiveness in this game.

As far as general advice goes... sometimes it's better to push guys than to kill them, and pushing them into each other does damage to both. So if that punching mech pushes a 3 HP guy into another, he'll kill it. The cannon mech can kill a 2 hp guy in a similar way, etc. And blocking spawns is good too. Think about your mech's health as being one of the first resources that you're willing to use up. It can be painful if they die since you'll lose the XP for that pilot, but otherwise the guys in the mechs are pretty expendable early on.
Last edit: 04 Sep 2018 11:43 by Jexik.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds