October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about other nerd culture stuff in here.

The Sub-50 Club

More
22 Jul 2018 14:12 #278139 by SuperflyPete
The Sub-50 Club was created by SuperflyPete
I was cleaning my office last night and it occurred to me: I have 49 games now. I have finally distilled my gaming to the point where (not counting classic stuff like Clue and Monopoly) I have less than 50 hobby boardgames.

Only a few rubbish games are left; I tossed the contents of GI Joe Commando Attack into a fire pit so I could reuse the game box as a shipping box. I, obviously, kept the foam ring launcher because the cat loves (read: hates) it.

I think when I get down to 40, I will have achieved Gamehalla: My forever shelf is the only shelf left.

You?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2018 14:34 #278143 by bendgar
Replied by bendgar on topic The Sub-50 Club
Yeah.
I have 26 big box games, 1 BIG box game (Cthulhu Wars) and maybe 10-12 card games (Wizard, Coloretto, No Thanks).

Some days I still feel like I have too many.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
22 Jul 2018 15:00 #278145 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic The Sub-50 Club
I got one wife, one motorcycle, three cats, three cars. Some days it feels like I've got too much of any one category. Some days it feels like too few. Games are the same way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons, BillyBobThwarton

More
22 Jul 2018 15:02 - 22 Jul 2018 15:12 #278146 by southernman
Replied by southernman on topic The Sub-50 Club
The number is pretty subjective, the last thread like this was people getting below 100 games. I think it's pretty relevant to your gaming opportunities how mnay of your favourite games you keep, I'm sure people gaming 4 times a week are quite comfotable with their shelves holding more that 50. I got rid of games a few years back when my gaming dried up but I've had a few more opportunities lately so have been grabbing more favourites again.
I could probably get down to 50 of my top favourites but I know I wouldn't be as happy after and, in the end, that's what really counts.

PS I'm the only one in my groups who buys non-euro games so I seldom get to play favourites that others already have.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2018 15:12 by southernman.

More
22 Jul 2018 15:09 #278148 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic The Sub-50 Club
My collection follows supply and demand. When I was hosting regularly there was demand so I would increase the supply. When I'm not gaming so much I decrease the supply.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

More
22 Jul 2018 15:47 #278149 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic The Sub-50 Club
I have 19 games plus 2 I'm trying to sell:

I can't actually see my collection growing much more. There are some games would be fine to own if someone dropped me on my lap, but only a couple that I want to actively pursue (Civilization, Colossal Arena, even more 18XX titles). That said, it will probably grow steadily in size as I play more, because I put over 50 hours of gaming last month and chances are my currenct collection can't accomodate for that.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, ChristopherMD, Frohike

More
22 Jul 2018 16:36 #278152 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic The Sub-50 Club
I think the idea isn’t to have a “set X”, because as you buy games and divest them it will fluctuate. It’s more of “the perfect situation is when you only have your favorite games and no shelf toads”. I just sold Stone Age, which I would have never seen myself doing, but it’s been SO played that it just won’t see any table time. Thus, a classic, beloved game became a shelf toad. When I scored the mathematically maximum points possible that was when I ran out of wannaplayanymore.

Also, I have it on IOS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman, Colorcrayons, drewcula

More
23 Jul 2018 05:24 #278180 by Chaz
Replied by Chaz on topic The Sub-50 Club
It's probably a combination of chances to game, and storage space. I have absolutely zero opportunities to game lately, between having a toddler and no real circle of friends near me, and with another kid on the way in October, that's not likely to change. I've got no real reason to own any games, let alone the 75 I do own. But all my games are contained to five wall shelves in my basement office. They're out of the way, and I don't have anything else to use the space for, so there's no real cost in keeping them, so I do. If they were out in the open, or if I had another planned use for the shelves or wall space, I'd be more likely to think about getting rid of some or all of them. But then I'd probably be mad at myself if I got gaming time again in a few years.

More
23 Jul 2018 08:23 #278182 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic The Sub-50 Club
I have one shelf that's sub-50.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, SuperflyPete

More
23 Jul 2018 08:45 - 23 Jul 2018 08:50 #278186 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic The Sub-50 Club

SuperflyTNT wrote: I think the idea isn’t to have a “set X”, because as you buy games and divest them it will fluctuate. It’s more of “the perfect situation is when you only have your favorite games and no shelf toads”.

I have a few games I would otherwise think of as shelf toads, but they are more like shelf candy.

My collection is already pretty minimized and has been for over half a decade now. So I have some room for a few titles to sit and simmer in order to find out if they will make the cut.

In the past couple years, I've made a couple more aquisitions. Dungeonquest from you, Black Fleet from a local, Gorechosen, and a couple small filler odds and ends.
Good titles and stuff I like to play, but some of those may or may not pass the "This game is so good, I don't care if a rarely play it. It's staying just in case I get a chance." test.

But really, as long as I have Wiz-War, Survive, Gorechosen, Room 25, Dungeonquest, Fjords and YINSH; everything else can go away and I would only be slightly sad. But I've felt that way for a bit now without having to give it a second thought.

[Edit]
If it means anything, at least your copy of Dungeonquest has seemed to have found a 'forever home'.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2018 08:50 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete, drewcula

More
23 Jul 2018 10:19 #278189 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic The Sub-50 Club
I’m not worried so much about space as having things which serve little purpose. Call it “feng shui” or whatever, but I don’t like owning a lot of stuff. I’m kind of a practical person in that regard.

I keep building materials that I’m not likely to use for any “set purpose” but I always seem to find something to build and it’s nice to be able to just do it.

When it comes to games, though, I don’t want to have 350 games anymore. It’s like a reminder that I’d rather be playing them and most of the time won’t.

More
23 Jul 2018 20:57 #278220 by Not Sure
Replied by Not Sure on topic The Sub-50 Club
I thought this was going to be roll-call for the dwindling number of members still under age 50.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample, SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons, birdman37

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.428 seconds