October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's chill with: FROSTGRAVE

More
13 Feb 2018 12:03 - 13 Feb 2018 12:03 #263522 by GorillaGrody
Here’s my warband. I haven’t played in a year, and don’t know when I’ll play again, mostly due to the fact that I call my d20s “capitalist running dogs” whenever I play this game.

Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Feb 2018 12:03 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Brewmiester, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2018 14:21 #263526 by quozl
Replied by quozl on topic Let's chill with: FROSTGRAVE

Colorcrayons wrote: Blah blah blah. More crap only the Heroscape community would appreciate.

If you're willing to share, I'd love to try it out.

More
13 Feb 2018 16:19 #263528 by Michael Barnes
Looking good Grody! For those watching at home, those figures are all from the Frostgrave Soldiers box. So you can see you have a lot options.

Like I said before, you can also use weapons and arms from Barbarians and Cultists and vice versa. I would advise that you do a little bashing though and DON’T use mismatched arm sets- the shoulder clothes are different, some of the Barbarians are sleeveless, etc.

I just said “shoulder clothes”. That’s like the time I called socks “foot sheathes”.

I’m going full snow on my bases and I’m just using the integrated base. Slopping some Valhallan Blizzard on there, finis. I’m trying to keep all of this super simple, strictly tabletop. No fancy layering or anything. Using Jeff White’s heretical “highlight using the base color you used” technique. And...using LAYER paints as bases, goddamighty.

Should have th whole table done (minus the Warscryer Citadel, which I will probably spend more time on) by the end of the week. So much dry brushing...

More
13 Feb 2018 16:44 - 13 Feb 2018 16:45 #263529 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: I’m going full snow on my bases and I’m just using the integrated base. Slopping some Valhallan Blizzard on there, finis. I’m trying to keep all of this super simple, strictly tabletop. No fancy layering or anything.

Screw all that shit. You just need wall filler.

Incidentally, this got me thinking about how games get you to customise your figures. Frostgrave's frozen setting makes you want to put snow and ice everywhere, but in doing so you make the figures less useful for other systems. I wonder if this is at all deliberate.
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Feb 2018 16:45 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jur

More
13 Feb 2018 17:00 #263530 by hotseatgames
I just played a quick solo round to give the mechanics a try. I didn't have an opponent warband, so I started by doing 3 random creature spawns on the map, and every time a treasure token was picked up, I rolled again, starting with a 15 and counting down 1 each successive time, whether it succeeded or not. There was only one time that this did not result in a random creature spawn.

Highlights:
A bear did his best to maul one of my thugs, and finally did so, only to be struck down in revenge by my infantryman.

Fabulous Melchor was about to be gangbanged by 2 wild dogs and a boar... he successfully Plane Walked to the other side of a wall and sweet freedom. I now realize that I should not have been allowed to do this since he was technically in combat. But such rules are surely for lesser spellcasters.

My trusty warband scored some sweet loot and will be even more prepared next time, when they will have a rival warband against them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, Colorcrayons

More
13 Feb 2018 17:13 #263531 by Brewmiester
We had one game where my barbarian took out a bear, then attacked a rival warbands dog and got knocked unconscious. Luckily he wasn't seriously hurt!
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
13 Feb 2018 18:39 #263532 by Colorcrayons

MattDP wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: I’m going full snow on my bases and I’m just using the integrated base. Slopping some Valhallan Blizzard on there, finis. I’m trying to keep all of this super simple, strictly tabletop. No fancy layering or anything.

Screw all that shit. You just need wall filler.

I use snow flock. Woodland scenics and gf9 seem to sell it. Applied with pva glue, it's pretty low impact aerobics.

Here is an example of a reaper bear I use for Bjorn in War of the Ring, mounted on a 60mm base to give idea of scale.

The following user(s) said Thank You: jur, Brewmiester, hotseatgames

More
14 Feb 2018 08:57 #263546 by hotseatgames

Colorcrayons wrote: Another great resource is this warband builder I found online. It takes nearly all the work out of listbuilding and gives you a tidy print which includes spells on your page.
www.table-top.space/

That site is pretty decent; not the most ideal solution, but decent. You can also use the iOS / Android / PC app BattleScribe. I first found this for Shadow War Armageddon, but it also has Frostgrave support. I haven't created a warband with it yet but will be doing so soon.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
15 Feb 2018 11:05 #263661 by hotseatgames
Barnes, let's see that Warscryer Citadel! Regardless of its stage of completion.

More
15 Feb 2018 11:42 #263663 by Brewmiester
There are some resources available on the Osprey web site

Frostgrave gaming resources

Scenery, dungeon tiles, quick reference sheet, spell cards, etc.

More
15 Feb 2018 12:57 - 15 Feb 2018 13:01 #263675 by Michael Barnes
It just came yesterday. HUGE box.

With some Frostgrave dudes for scale. The main piece is two halves.

https://imgur.com/gallery/xKUT7

Some bestiary stuff!
Last edit: 15 Feb 2018 13:01 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons

More
15 Feb 2018 13:26 - 15 Feb 2018 13:26 #263680 by Colorcrayons
I really like that 4 armed yeti. It's better than the heroscape Dzu-Teh that I am using for the same purpose. How was the price on that?

What did you flock your figs with? Snow flock? Baking soda? It looks good. Nice and chunky, like a well trodden bit of turf should look like.

I love the citadel too, for the most part. The model should be an eleven. But like everything GW related the "MOAR SKULLZ!!!1!111!!!eleventyone!!!" crap really puts a huge ding against it, to make it an 8 at best. Id have to scrape off all of the twin tailed comets and skulls that I could, and considering the cost, that would piss me off.
But tha'ts my own personal taste.
Last edit: 15 Feb 2018 13:26 by Colorcrayons.

More
15 Feb 2018 15:06 #263689 by Michael Barnes
I think the Girillon or whatever it is was about $6-7. Those are all Pathfinder and D&D things. I’m gong to snow their bases and do some rocks/plants on the bigger ones.

The snow is Citadel Valhalla’s Blizzard. It is REALLY neat, I did one to test and was like “welp, fucked that one up”. But it dried and it looked just right. Like the other texture paints they have, it’s really coarse and grainy, you need something small and flat to mush it around, and you have to sort of pack it on. It kind of naturally dries in clumps and leaves some areas with less snow. Very impressed at how it does look like chopped up, churned up snow.

There are A LOT of skulls on this thing. You should see the pile of EXTRA skulls that I got from Arcane Ruins.

More
16 Feb 2018 13:42 #263764 by hotseatgames
Got my Ruins of Osgiliath in yesterday, and just got it assembled in a preliminary fashion. I believe I'll have to use some green stuff to strengthen some bonds. It's definitely a nice set of terrain. I am also 100% convinced that mine will never look like the one on the box, but it's GW so that's par for the course.

More
16 Feb 2018 13:58 #263766 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, not the best kit in terms of fit. Most GW scenery is like that. Most of that is made in China....correlation?

It’s easy to put a decent paint job on those.

1) spray prime black (you can do dark gray too, but it will turn out a lighter finish.)

2) HEAVY dry brush, using a large dry brush, of a Mechanicus Standard Grey or a similar craft paint color (like “Zinc”). really slap the model with the side of the brush.

3) Do a more traditional dry brush with quick, fast strokes of your chosen MEDIUM gray. You tilt the hue toward brown (Skavenblight Dinge), taupe, blue or green if you want. Or just keep it in gray with Dawnstone.

4) Next a similar dry brush of Administratum Gray or analogue light gray. Really focus on the edges and mind that you don’t start painting over the darker areas.

5) Finally, a SUPER light dry brush of Longbeard Gray. Or, you can also tilt it toward another color here. Or go Praxeti White for really bright highlights.

The wood is easy- Steel Legion Drab, Agra Earthshade. SLD drybrush.

You can do a full set of these Ruins in about an hour.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.304 seconds