October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Monsterpocalypse... is back!

More
08 Mar 2018 21:30 #265138 by Cranberries

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Also...how fucking great is it to be able to be excited about this NOT being a god damned Kickstarter?

I saw something about Pacific Rim game kickstarter being placed on the day of the movies release.

So..... I get to watch a movie, get excited because of that marketing...wait forever (if ever) for the game to be delivered, instead of just going to the store and buying it right after watching the movie.

Stupid as fuck.

If they made a Pacific Rim game based on Heroscape’s bones I would sell a kidney

Yes, but *whose* kidney?

Here's Space Hulk using Heroscape parts: www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=47580
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, stoic

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2018 08:17 #265165 by stormseeker75
Okay, this has a map so it will likely use squares like HeroClix. I'm in. I don't want to play with tape measures. This will be silly fun to paint and hopefully fun to play.

More
09 Mar 2018 08:49 #265167 by Michael Barnes
It says somewhere on the page that it’s on a grid.

More
09 Mar 2018 09:05 #265174 by hotseatgames
I hope the other monsters look cool... I'm not thrilled by the armored bug thing that seems to be inspired by Doom.

More
09 Mar 2018 09:09 #265177 by Da Bid Dabid
Steve I'll buy yours off you for cheap when you decide you aren't into it.

I'm in when the giant apes come back.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
09 Mar 2018 09:46 #265182 by Colorcrayons
From David Kidd:

Hey guys, just thought I'd add my two cents as the sculptor of these new models shown in the promo vid (this isn't an official PP statement at all as I'm a freelance sculptor but I have some insights from working closely with the project team on this).
To my mind there is no reason you can't play your own games at home with your older models. The "new models only" thing is for organised play and tournaments, something that PP is very into and very proud of for their game systems.
AS to the actual ingame issues with the older models, I can only conjecture that, while I've been told the new rules are very much based on the originals (streamlined and updated)there may be issues with model size when it comes to true line of sight etc. We've been upscaling most of the designs so far (between 15 and 35% depending on the model) This is conjecture on my part based on conversations where I got the impression it's moving slightly away from the more boardgame like aspects towards a more tabletop type affair, something like 2nd edition EPIC. But all that cool building smashing and monster throwing fun is still in there...
ALso, the assembly complexity of the models isn't going to be on a par with even most current GW or modern tabletop games (trying to keep it as simple as the designs will allow) so don't worry overly about that.
Bottomline to all you guys worried about how this will all compare to the old game, relax and enjoy the rebirth!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
09 Mar 2018 10:57 #265193 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Monsterpocalypse... is back!

Michael Barnes wrote: Also...how fucking great is it to be able to be excited about this NOT being a god damned Kickstarter?

My first thought when I read the thread is, "another kickstarter?"

More
09 Mar 2018 11:06 #265194 by stormseeker75

Da Bid Dabid wrote: Steve I'll buy yours off you for cheap when you decide you aren't into it.

I'm in when the giant apes come back.

Deal! I get the FOMO monkey off my back and I make you happy. Win/win!

More
09 Mar 2018 16:23 #265217 by Josh Look
I am down for this. So down.

I played metric shit tons of Warmachine and Hordes back in the day, but Monsterpocalypse was always the game that interested me most. It was really tough to collect and play though, especially for people just getting into it. You had to settle for a mix of figures from different factions, which meant a wide array of special abilities to keep track of. The iconography wasn’t great either. Years later I found someone took the time to make cards for every figure that explained all their abilities, much like what you have in Warmachine. The game had pretty much dried up at that point though. The Voltron self-contained Voltron set was much easier to play and offered some great fun, but with such a small collection of figures, long term appeal was limited.

Anyway, stoked to see it’s back and that it’s being done right and I can’t wait to dump insane amounts of money into whatever faction I pick.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
09 Mar 2018 16:31 #265218 by Colorcrayons
I don't get it. It's all so reasonable here. Where is all the self righteous indignation about 2.0 that I am reading on ToS?

More
13 Mar 2018 01:09 #265536 by Pat II
Replied by Pat II on topic Monsterpocalypse... is back!
This was the game for me...but the blind purchase kept me out. Hopefully they change that.

More
13 Mar 2018 19:06 #265628 by Colorcrayons
I was only excited about the resurrection because I want the kaiju models for other purposes.

But thinking about it further, the game design itself is actually really good, even if it is a lot deeper design than what I expect from a kaiju themed game.

But I am coming round to being pretty excited for seeing what the design has to offer in this new iteration. For the first time in a decade, I'm excited to actually play 'Monster Pasta Lips' (as it is affectionately called by some here in the Scandinavian Midwest) and get into the game itself. It's rather refreshing.

More
14 Mar 2018 19:01 - 14 Mar 2018 19:03 #265705 by Colorcrayons
Tiny update on Twitter from GAMA:

I feel vindicated a bit for rebasing my figs on clear bases. This has to mean they are going to cards if the info is not on the bases.
Warning: Spoiler!

And a bit of concept art, which isn't shocking since it seems to adhere nearly identically to previous designs for the monsters, with perhaps a bit more detail.

Last edit: 14 Mar 2018 19:03 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
14 Mar 2018 19:09 - 14 Mar 2018 19:10 #265706 by Gary Sax
That model and paint job look fucking great. But then they always look great when you have a pro ringer do them.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2018 19:10 by Gary Sax.

More
18 Mar 2018 14:34 - 18 Mar 2018 14:35 #265933 by Colorcrayons
A prediction about the old prepaints.

Long story short: The prices are only going to go up, not down because of it's ressurection.

I've been pondering this a lot.

From the perspective of fresh new consumers of Monpoc, unless they are tournament freas who needs to be in every official event, why would I go through the effort in buying more expensive sculpts and then pour the time into assembly and paint?

And even if I was a competitive person needing to be in official events, I still think the ease and durabity of the prepaints trump any stylistic upgrade that the hobby models offer.
They would likely have one hobby faction and the rest of their collection would also be likely to be old prepiants instead of all new models.

With that being a likely potential, if the Monpoc ressurection has any traction, I can see the prepaints not only holding a steady string price, but they could potentially become more expensive than their resin counter parts aimplay because you don't have to put any effort into them. You actually save time and money by using the prepaints, even if one were to purchase them for more than the unpainted counterparts.

Long game: prices go up, especially on monsters. Units may likely too, but certain unit prices were high simply due to rarity. Rarity is now taken away, but the hobby effort has an inherent cost as well. So unit prices would remain volatile.

Personally, I would be fine continuing using the prepaints monsters and buying unpainted units to finish.
Last edit: 18 Mar 2018 14:35 by Colorcrayons.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.256 seconds