October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2662 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Let's Talk About Gaslands

More
05 Jun 2018 20:58 #274784 by the_jake_1973
A local games group does a thing where they rent a pretty nice cabin for a long weekend of playing games and such. I am guessing a Trashfest MW would be more entertaining. The cabin they rent has a number of good size tables for games. Just a thought.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jun 2018 21:53 #274787 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Michael, those cars look great! My kids are also getting my into it. They’ve made some hilariously awesome cars and are having a blast with it.

More
06 Jun 2018 13:41 #274827 by Da Bid Dabid
For the record, Jake and his wife are pretty sweet people as well and don't listen to his lies I did take a car. I hope I get that Spartacus invite!

On topic when I finish my board we will have to have a meet up to play. Just got the keys to my new house so the game/hobby rooms are being organized over the next month or so... maybe sometime mid to late July?
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
06 Jun 2018 15:49 #274843 by the_jake_1973
I think I have a BBQ competition on July 21st, but otherwise open.

I used a ring cut from a spring and some thin brass wire to make a driver side targeting reticle on that car I was working on, David. It is in the paint shop now, so I should have pics this weekend.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Bid Dabid

More
07 Jun 2018 08:57 - 07 Jun 2018 09:00 #274897 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
Somehow this picture reminded me of Gaslands:

https://scontent.ffcm1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/34603314_1614277015364957_5707969286790709248_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&oh=1083656419f7dca5da5e5ee7166d4a91&oe=5BBD3259
Last edit: 07 Jun 2018 09:00 by Shellhead.

More
10 Jun 2018 15:20 - 10 Jun 2018 17:50 #275061 by Michael Barnes
Finally played a few game with my son.

Goodbye, X-Wing!

It’s -phenomenal-. My boy picked it up quickly, we were playing and laughing and really getting into it by the first gate. We both had two cars- he had the Zombie Basher Boys in a ‘77 Stingray with an HMG literally chained to the roof and Ice Devil, one of those bozo looking performance car-looking Hot Wheels with a rear-mouted MG. I had Angry Anderson in a MG-turret armed 67 Firebird and Black Devil, my Horned flamethrower car pictured above.

I forgot the no weapons before the first gate rule so we were shooting right away. It didn’t make a huge impact though- lots of misses and evades. On the first gate, Black Devil hit it in 5th gear and made this incredible swerve to avoid Ice Devil...but slid, spin, and wiped out against the wall. Ice Devil was going way too fast and flew into the scatter terrain in the middle. Both cars survived, somehow. Angry and the ZBB got tangled at the first gate- I swear to god, the ZBB car evaded like 8 straight hits (meaning he rolled 8 straight sixes in evade rolls. Ice Devil never got to use his tail gun, but a crewman managed to use a handgun to wreck Black Devil at the second gate...and since he never got to use the flame thrower, he EXPLODED. Amazing. ZBB managed to wreck Angry with a handgun shot as well. So River won.

We also did a zombie bash with one car each- lots of fun, just driving around to splat zombies.

The design is just brilliant- the way the gears modify speed-based resolutions works so well. The drama level is high, and if you play with the “touch it/use it” template rule, it’s more seat of the pants than even X-Wing. And the collision rules don’t suck!

And there’s not a row of cards for each vehicle to fuss with.

Love this game. I bought he terrain pack from Death Ray Designs and we are using some 40k stuff and it’s plenty.
Last edit: 10 Jun 2018 17:50 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Brewmiester, Da Bid Dabid, the_jake_1973

More
10 Jun 2018 20:05 #275070 by Da Bid Dabid
Most of this stuff is getting worked on at a glacial pace with my free time going into moving into a new house, then the terrain board for Gaslands being the 1st priority (foam is pretty much all done now), but here are two rocket buggies I'm calling finished and I decided to add a crew member to the back of my monster truck. Primer at some point then slow paint of all 3 to match their flamethrowing buddy.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester, the_jake_1973

More
11 Jun 2018 09:33 #275089 by the_jake_1973
I'd hit kind of a creative block until last night.

Some cool results for the magnetized weapons.

Explosive Ram.

Missile launcher.

You can also see the forward MGs and the gunsight. The chopped top is looking good.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Bid Dabid

More
11 Jun 2018 15:08 #275113 by Space Ghost

Michael Barnes wrote:
Love this game. I bought he terrain pack from Death Ray Designs and we are using some 40k stuff and it’s plenty.

What terrain pack did you get?

More
11 Jun 2018 15:42 #275115 by Michael Barnes
deathraydesigns.com/product/death-rally-...n-pack-for-gaslands/

The gates are great. The start/finish line has a billboard that isn’t pictured. The tank traps are simple pieces, but good for scatter. The tires make about 10 piles- good for destructible and treacherous hazards (we play that they just give you 2 hazards and then they are removed). The turrets are good, sort of annoying to build so I put River on that task. The zombies are 2D acrylic silhouettes, which I prefer to models for their purpose- but you only get 20 and that’s the recommended minimum for 2 players. The monster truck piece is a complete waste. I have no idea why you would use it over a $1 Hot Wheel.

With that stuff, some Sector Mechanicus stuff, Prometheum Relay Pipes, and bits from the Munitorium Armored Containers kit you have everything you need.

I got the 4x4 “Petrolands” mat from Mats by Mars on the way. Didn’t really need it, but the other 4x4 I have is too dark/gray.

More
11 Jun 2018 15:54 #275118 by stormseeker75
Barnes either has a sugar mama or he's selling kidneys.

More
14 Jun 2018 00:40 #275350 by Michael Barnes
Y’all are my sugar mamas.

OK, a few more games with my son in.

We've seen lots of pics of cars and talk about modeling, but not much about the game here. Well, let me tell you. This is THE BEST VEHICLE-BASED MINIATURE GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED. Period. Full stop. End line. Check please.

This system is just fucking FANTASTIC. It plays so smoothly and the way just a handful of different numbers play off each other and influence movement and resolutions is absolutely brilliant. Limiting certain template moves to certain gears, granting free shifts to reduce hazard or change gears on "easy" moves, push-your-luck dice-rolling that can wind up causing a miracle or a disaster...it's just brilliant, brilliant stuff.

The hazard management is what really got me on the last game, how smart it is. See, there are six impulses (well, gears) and you can move in every impulse up to your current gear- so planning ahead to stay in the running or slow it down so you _don't_ have to keep moving is critical. But you also have to keep on top of your hazard count. At 6, you wipe out and bad things can happen. So you have to weigh the risk of a shift, taking a slide, or a difficult manuever with the hazard it incurs.

One thing we learned last game is that rockets will FUCK YOU UP. Not just because they roll 6D6 damage, but also because they have BLAST, and that puts two hazard on a card that gets hit by ANY of those 6 dice and doesn't evade. So River's 4 hazard Warthog (yes, from Halo) was suddenly in a wipe out after a successful attack. WHICH RESULTED in two other crashes and ANOTHER car wiping out AND flipping AND exploding. Needless to say, that all ROCKED!

What has really surprised me is that I also think this may be THE BEST RACING GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED. I always say that one of the things where racing games fail is that they lack a sense of SPEED. Gaslands has that. ESPECIALLY if you play with the "touch it, use it" template rule, which adds this awesome level of judgement. You wind up in these choices to risk a move you may not be able to make...only to find that you squeeze through or wind up clipping an obstacle. But more than that, the way the impulses work (yes, it really is something descended down from Star Fleet Battles) make fast cars feel fast, and the need to actually throttle down to make sharper turns for example is a major concern throughout the game.

And it all requires NO cards. The keywords are all simple and intuitive (like "turret"). The squad/team building is as simple as deciding what you want off the weapon chart, does it fit on the cars you have, and does it fit into the "cans" (points) you are playing. There are optional faction and advanced skill rules, but I think they are kind of not necessary.

All in a $12 book that you use $1 Hot Wheels to play. Not a $300 Kickstarter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Gary Sax, GorillaGrody, WadeMonnig

More
14 Jun 2018 01:02 #275351 by Michael Barnes
imgur.com/a/BgHwoBX

Pics of The Crimson Ghost and The Phantom. Need to highlight them a bit, add some mud and rust.

More
14 Jun 2018 06:42 #275357 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Let's Talk About Gaslands
I really like this new wave of rules light minis game that allows you to actually play. They are not exciting to read, but a blast to play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
14 Jun 2018 07:23 #275363 by stormseeker75
I've been working on my cars. I should have pics this weekend and we'll be ready to play another game. I love this. I bought dice because mine were janky.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds