October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

X-Wing 2.0!

More
14 Sep 2018 10:35 #281608 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic X-Wing 2.0!
well, they are updating it. 1.0.1 looks like variable points is mostly fixed. variants are almost there. titles are working.

still a pretty old feeling UX.

overall just pretty embarrassing to release the app/webpage in this state.

I've been using LaunchBayNext instead, which is mostly there. Lando crew showing at 0 points.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2018 08:49 - 15 Sep 2018 11:23 #281659 by GorillaGrody
Replied by GorillaGrody on topic X-Wing 2.0!
On one hand, my first impression is positive, and aligns with Charlie's. Before, this game was one in which nerds with lots of disposable income give one another wedgies with unrecognizable hunks of indifferent plastic. Now, it's a game about Star Wars. The changes to 2.0 are smart and thematic.

I'm also mostly happy with the implementation of the threat system. I had maybe one friend who wanted to bother with building a squad using the points and little cards, and who may or may not want to enter their personal info into a database in order to do the same thing. The simplified threat system means I might get my wife and a couple of my friends back on board.

On the other hand...

I guess if I were a committed competitive player, I'd be pretty bummed. It seems to have alienated many of the nerds who just want to get to the broken combos, while the whole idea of an iterated miniatures system seems toxic to casual players, who might have been on board at first when it was just tie fighters and Y-Wings, but have now seen a whole cycle in action and have recoiled in horror at the ultimate expense, redundancy, and cultural baggage. I see little interest for this reboot anywhere, either online or in meatspace.

I think the golden age of miniatures games is soon to end, friends. We're about to enter a miniatures recession, like CCGs back in the 90's. Though I've been really happy with the choices available to me these last five years, I guess it's probably about time.
Last edit: 15 Sep 2018 11:23 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, charlest, Hadik

More
15 Sep 2018 11:24 #281665 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic X-Wing 2.0!
I was a serious devotee, early on. I got two basic sets in a math trade and took off. I was a long-time GW gamer, but had lost the will (and time) to paint and hated playing with unpainted stuff. While I'm not a serious Star Wars fan, I loved the Wings of War system (which GW had also used in one of their almost-but-not-quite a real game spinoffs from White Dwarf) and I held that love as it moved to X-Wing. I got into it hardcore. I was playing on weekends with a regular group and in tournaments. And then...

It got to be exactly what you're describing: nothing but the ultimate tweaked combos. I wanted to be able to experiment with different things, not get demolished by whatever ultimate Millennium Falcon combo was the latest thing in Every. Single. Game. I also recognized that collectible games of any type are simply no longer my thing. I have too much stuff going on now to have to keep up with the Joneses every week. So, when Scum & Villainy came out, I stopped. I still have a box full of Rebel and Imperial ships downstairs that I'd like to sell. But now that they're First Edition, I probably won't be able to. And, yes, I had no interest whatsoever in the reboot, because it's still a collectible thing.

More
15 Sep 2018 20:00 #281683 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic X-Wing 2.0!
I get why people are pissed about a 2nd edition (buying 1-2 conversion kits per side), but this edition upgrade works for me. Makes me actually want to get into it, too. Focusing on the right things from their press releases (maneuver, the actual game, a little less of the pregame).

More
17 Sep 2018 09:22 #281744 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic X-Wing 2.0!

Gary Sax wrote: I get why people are pissed about a 2nd edition (buying 1-2 conversion kits per side), but this edition upgrade works for me. Makes me actually want to get into it, too. Focusing on the right things from their press releases (maneuver, the actual game, a little less of the pregame).

I think the designer trio are legit fans of the game and want to do right by it. I had some interview quotes in my Geek & Sundry review and I had to cut a bunch more due to length. These guys are excited about X-Wing and it's easy to recognize their passion.

The cost sucks, but the game had moved into an unhealthy state and I think they nailed it in regards to making meaningful changes without completely overturning the game. As a casual player I'm very happy with the alterations.

More
17 Sep 2018 09:31 #281745 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic X-Wing 2.0!
The cost of this is in the noise for any serious player.

Focus is now more on maneuver? That's a positive change in my opinion. Haven't looked into the details.

More
18 Sep 2018 08:40 #281812 by edulis
Replied by edulis on topic X-Wing 2.0!
we had a meet-up at the FLGS, in our small town interest seemed moderate. We had one player who had quit 1.0 come back and one new player just starting . I picked up a core set and the conversion for the imperials which is the faction I mostly play. I feel like I will eventually need a rebel kit as well, just so I can play with just my stuff. And I am sure I'll get the other conversion kits at some point.

We mostly punched out cardboard- there is a lot of stuff in the conversion kits. But we did mange to each play one game. I really liked the linked actions and that just about every ship has some sort of repositioning option now. Both me and my opponent had a punisher on the board, munitions are way more effective. You don't burn a target lock when you fire missiles and they all come with more than one shot. I think the need to jam will be a thing.

Neither of us had turrets, but the table over did and I heard more than a bit of discussion about pointing turrets the wrong way, or miss judging where an enemy ship would be. Being able to dodge turrets is a huge improvement.

I had some trouble with the new dial and kept putting my maneuver 180 degrees off. Over all I think the game is in a better place. I can't wait to play again.

More
18 Sep 2018 10:25 #281815 by jpat
Replied by jpat on topic X-Wing 2.0!
Thanks for this thread. I've been sitting on 1.0 waves 1-3 and ... I don't know. I liked it, but I got way too much too soon (almost like it was designed that way). I still don't know what to do with it except maybe see whether someone wants to pick it up locally. I'm just not sure I can see getting into this again, even though it's at the store where I go to play SW Destiny. But maybe.

More
25 Sep 2018 17:27 #282256 by lj1983
Replied by lj1983 on topic X-Wing 2.0!
well..shit. I wrote a long post about playing some x-wing over the weekend. and lost it when my browser went back...somehow.

So, X-Wing 2e is mostly like 1e. if you liked 1e, you'll likely like 2e. rules are bigger than originally, but smaller than how they ended.

mostly good, some bad stuff (no pre-order stuff still). I'm glad they can adjust points, we'll see how well it works out. Quadjumpers are awesome and tons of fun.

More
09 Nov 2018 22:49 #285850 by Gary Sax
New clone wars starters and boosters look pretty neat.

More
12 Nov 2018 04:48 #285976 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic X-Wing 2.0!
I busted out my collection at the weekend and started going through my upgrade kits. It took fucking hours just to do Rebels and Imperial. Not started Scum yet. Beginning to wish I'd sold the whole damn lot. Don't know what to do with some of the edge case ships I hardly ever run like Hound's Tooth and Ghost. Not to mention my epic ships. I don't think the conversion has been handled very well: if they ever get round to including epic ships, it'll mean yet more "upgrade kits".

I did sell off my first order/resistance stuff. Really shitty for FFG to make that a separate kit, and there's just not enough models to make it worthwhile. The only thing that makes me sad about this is that I would have liked to have some more female pilots, but there's no Rey without the new trilogy stuff. Splitting off even more new factions for the Clone Wars is equally shitty.

The app is hot garbage. Going forward I mostly want to play the pre-built ships and they're not even an option on there as far as I can tell.

As part of the process, I did discover and, perhaps rather stupidly buy, a "hired guns" box because I loved the alternative ship designs. They seemed hard to come by but I found one in an obscure store, which added to the allure. I'm not interested in any of the official v2 ships, partly because there are now just too many factions.

More
12 Nov 2018 08:49 - 12 Nov 2018 08:51 #285984 by Gary Sax
Wow, I don't say this as any sort of questioning but I haven't seen a ton of criticism of the transition mechanically... beyond people angry there is a second edition in the first place. Interesting.

Besides multiplying upgrade kits, what does the faction proliferation do mechanically?
Last edit: 12 Nov 2018 08:51 by Gary Sax.

More
12 Nov 2018 08:54 #285985 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic X-Wing 2.0!

Gary Sax wrote: Wow, I don't say this as any sort of questioning but I haven't seen a ton of criticism of the transition mechanically... beyond people angry there is a second edition in the first place. Interesting.

Besides multiplying upgrade kits, what does the faction proliferation do mechanically?

Nothing. Can't comment as not played yet. I didn't mean the switch was shitty mechanically, just that splitting and diversifying the factions merely further divides and confuses consumers, especially given that the new factions have tiny ship options right now.

More
12 Nov 2018 11:56 #285999 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic X-Wing 2.0!

MattDP wrote:

Gary Sax wrote: Wow, I don't say this as any sort of questioning but I haven't seen a ton of criticism of the transition mechanically... beyond people angry there is a second edition in the first place. Interesting.

Nothing. Can't comment as not played yet. I didn't mean the switch was shitty mechanically, just that splitting and diversifying the factions merely further divides and confuses consumers, especially given that the new factions have tiny ship options right now.

C'mon that's not true. It would be like saying "why do we need Space Marines and Imperial Guard and Sisters of Battle?"

By separating the factions you get more list diversity and broaden the feel of different builds.

I was always annoyed you could field them with their OT counterparts in 1.0.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983

More
12 Nov 2018 12:35 #286003 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic X-Wing 2.0!
I bought relatively few ships, getting no more than 1x of any ship unless it was included in a starter or aces set. I mostly focused on imperials, and the lists I used to run are split up.* I haven't bought any conversion kits, yet, but I had probably spent less than $200 before this.

*Is the inquisitor in with the original trilogy? If so, that one is intact. I think the other one we liked was with the defender and some new stuff.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.472 seconds