October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

How Many Unpainted Minis Do You Own?

More
18 Jul 2018 10:36 #277817 by ubarose
I have no idea how many minis we have unpainted. We will probably never get them all painted, especially since it seems that as soon as we get a game finished, we get an expansion which adds more minis.

We tend to paint as a family in batches and try to get an entire game done, so I have no idea how long an individual mini takes since there are usually 3 of us working assembly line style. The Spawn started painting with us when she was 8 years old. With her young eyes, and 10+ years of experience, she has now taken over a lot of the detail work.

Cthulhu Wars will remain unpainted. I've played with painted versions, and prefer our unpainted set.

My biggest, and most favorite project is Dreadfleet. Someday that one will be done.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, SuperflyPete, birdman37, GorillaGrody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2018 14:45 - 18 Jul 2018 14:46 #277840 by GorillaGrody
I almost don't know how to answer this, or the sister question, "what systems do you have completely painted"?

For years I built my IA and Descent collections by having folks send me two expansion boxes, painting them both, and sending one back. The detail on FF minis, and their relatively low volume for what you pay, made this a pretty good deal for a painter of my limited talent. Paint by numbers, wash, and go. I got very fast, and got pretty good results.

Then I started taking GW things like Space Hulk, WQ, etc. More work, more detail, but also correspondingly pricey. I didn't mind, and it's what got me hooked on doing my own GW stuff.

About two years ago, without really thinking about it, I said yes to painting two full KS pledges each of Massive Darkness, Rising Sun and Mythic Battles, which all arrived within 6 months of each other. Never again. There's about one and a half good games among them, literally more than a thousand miniatures to paint, no one wants to pay for the losers on a secondary market, and it's going to take me more than a year to do all of this.

Life is now bad. I'm currently traveling, but if I could, I'd take a picture of my halfway-to-the-ceiling pile of cheap Chinese plastic and show it to you.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2018 14:46 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
18 Jul 2018 14:52 #277843 by Shellhead

ubarose wrote: Cthulhu Wars will remain unpainted. I've played with painted versions, and prefer our unpainted set.

Having looked at painted Cthulhu Wars figures online, it seems like a mistake to paint them from a playability standpoint. Players need to be able to distinguish the factions by color at a glance. But without paint, the detailed sculpts are harder to appreciate aside from sheer size. Maybe you could give your CW figures an inkwash to bring out the details without obscuring the faction colors.

More
18 Jul 2018 16:03 #277851 by the_jake_1973
I did a similar thing with my Runebound figs. Painted them gold and gave them a brown wash to bring out the highlights such as they are.

More
18 Jul 2018 16:13 #277852 by ubarose

Shellhead wrote:

ubarose wrote: Cthulhu Wars will remain unpainted. I've played with painted versions, and prefer our unpainted set.

Having looked at painted Cthulhu Wars figures online, it seems like a mistake to paint them from a playability standpoint. Players need to be able to distinguish the factions by color at a glance. But without paint, the detailed sculpts are harder to appreciate aside from sheer size. Maybe you could give your CW figures an inkwash to bring out the details without obscuring the faction colors.

I've also played with a washed game. It just made all the minis look dull and dirty.

More
18 Jul 2018 19:22 #277868 by birdman37
Twelve more than I owned yesterday.

I need help...
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, drewcula

More
18 Oct 2022 14:54 #336247 by Shellhead
Deliberate thread necromancy, because I am curious if any of you made progress during this pandemic. I have not. It turns out that I would rather play Marvel Champions again (and again) than break out the paints and brushes to finish my Space Hulk figs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
18 Oct 2022 15:55 #336252 by RobertB
The air rifle took up a lot of my hobby time last winter (shooting 10m in the basement for laughs), and I don't like painting when the sun is out and there are targets to shoot and fish to catch. I'll probably start painting again - I have a copy of Nemesis that needs painted.

More
18 Oct 2022 17:53 #336259 by Disgustipater
I’ve made it worse. I keep finding more minis to 3D print. I got into Zona Alfa (exclusion zone skirmish game) which is mini agnostic, so I printed a ton of hostiles (bandits, zombies, ghouls, vermin swarms, mutants, etc), alien plant life, and a few factions, and I haven’t even played it yet. Luckily my buddy genuinely likes painting so he’s been tackling them a few models at a time.

Still plugging away at four fleets for A Billion Suns, though I did get most of the contract related models painted.

And of course like 50+ stripped Hot Wheels cars for Gaslands waiting for conversions and paint. Did get some large terrain pieces painted though.

Finally, a few months ago I ran across a tank arena game called BRUTL! that is also all 3D printable with a big chunky tank for each person and a few scrapper bots.

I think I just like printing more than anything else.

More
18 Oct 2022 17:57 - 19 Oct 2022 12:24 #336260 by Shellhead
I haven't even painted the ship mini for Sleeping Gods, which only has that one miniature.

Someone should invent a 3D painter, like a 3D printer except that it paints your figure according to an uploaded file or whatnot.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2022 12:24 by Shellhead. Reason: first sentence: painted not printed

More
18 Oct 2022 22:32 #336261 by Michael Barnes
I'm fixing to have zero unpainted minis other than those in board games...I'm unloading all my D&D minis (a ton) because I'm strictly using tokens now. I'm done with painting completely I think, probably for a long time if not for good.

More
19 Oct 2022 02:03 #336262 by Virabhadra
Here's everything I've gotten done since April. Keeping a spreadsheet has been essential for staying organized.

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1BHdyz4RG...fI/edit?usp=drivesdk

Selling your airbrush, MB?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Disgustipater

More
19 Oct 2022 03:50 #336264 by Michael Barnes
Never hard one! I'd sell my paints if I could but I do T think there's a maket for it.

More
19 Oct 2022 09:42 #336272 by san il defanso
All my "real" minis are painted, and I'm not likely to get many more games in that vein because I just don't play them very much. By "real" I mean the nice kind that are really made for painters, as opposed to gumball machine types found in most FFG games.

My biggest pile of shame is my copy of Talisman. When we moved to the Philippines I had a can of spray primer that I didn't figure would be worth shipping, so I primed all 50-60 figures with the assumption that I'd get to them in Manila. Well, that was five years ago, a lot of my paints have dried out, and I've lost the will to finish that project. I only ever got the base game ones done.

More
19 Oct 2022 10:19 #336273 by the_jake_1973

Disgustipater wrote:
Finally, a few months ago I ran across a tank arena game called BRUTL! that is also all 3D printable with a big chunky tank for each person and a few scrapper bots.

I think I just like printing more than anything else.

I think we are in the same boat. I've been printing stiff from Ace Minis (tanks) and Filamentio (historical tanks) and chibi figs from Capsule Chibi.....very little painting is being done.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds