October 09, 2023
2479 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2683 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Any useful GW gubbinry worth getting?

More
14 Jan 2019 11:12 - 14 Jan 2019 11:20 #289967 by Matt Thrower
Thinking I might invest in some more Shadespire figures, which means going to a GW discount retailer. Yay! While I'm there, I thought I might as well see if there's any generically useful stuff worth buying. Going to grab some Hexwraith Flame for the ghosts and a paint handle which looks really handy - any other tools, paints, technicals, scenery or other neat things that might be worthwhile?

Vaguely interested in the Arcane Hazards but I see folk complaining they're no use for the original board and I don't really understand what the problems are?
Last edit: 14 Jan 2019 11:20 by Matt Thrower.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2019 11:23 #289968 by charlest
Totally up to taste, but I'd much rather buy another Shadespire warband than spend money on scenery bits (not talking about paints and supplies in that regard).

I've enjoyed every single Shadespire faction thus far.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
14 Jan 2019 11:34 - 14 Jan 2019 11:39 #289969 by Michael Barnes
The painting handles RULE. I tried one and I am totally converted. I just bought the large one to paint up some Adeptus Titanicus stuff.

You might ought to get some Corax White spray if you are doing the Briar Queen band with Hexwraith flame...you might also consider Nighthaunt Gloom and Nihilax Oxide- they all have a similar ghostly effect over Corax White but in different colors. Hexwraith is GREEN green, Nighthaunt is a dusky blue like Thunderhawk Blue, and Nihilakh is a pale turquoise. Really quite versatile paints.

The gemstone paints are really fun...they are thick, gel paints that you put on silver for a simple gemstone effect.

If you don’t have a Citadel Glaze brush, try it. Not for glazing. For highlighting.

Arcane Hazards is OK, the pieces are really cool. But like Charlie said, get another Warband over it.

I really like Eyes of the Nine, the Tzeentch warband.

If you don’t have them, consider the Echoes of Glory Card pack- it updates the Steelheart’s Champions and Garrek’s Reavers and also adds a bunch of universal cards. The Leaders card pack is also worth getting.

The Shatteres City board is also worth picking up.

Next week the Troggoth and Darkoath warbands are coming to preorder.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2019 11:39 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower, Hadik

More
14 Jan 2019 11:41 #289970 by Michael Barnes
Also, think about buying the Adeptus Titanicus Grand Master Edition if you are looking for a more substantial impulse buy.

More
14 Jan 2019 11:55 - 14 Jan 2019 11:56 #289971 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: If you don’t have them, consider the Echoes of Glory Card pack- it updates the Steelheart’s Champions and Garrek’s Reavers and also adds a bunch of universal cards. The Leaders card pack is also worth getting.

The Shattered City board is also worth picking up.

I thought those were just re-issues of the board and cards in the original box?

Might grab the Nihilakh Oxide - I was going to do my Stormcasts Hoplite-style, so it might look nice on those, too.

Not interested in the Troggoth band, but I might be in the wood elves. I've been looking into recommended expansions, and Magore's Fiends seems to have a lot of popular cards so I might get that, too. I quite like the variety of the Tzeentch figures, but they're not popular. I really wish they'd do a Nurgle one.

Michael Barnes wrote: Also, think about buying the Adeptus Titanicus Grand Master Edition if you are looking for a more substantial impulse buy.

LOL. No.
Last edit: 14 Jan 2019 11:56 by Matt Thrower.

More
14 Jan 2019 20:23 #290003 by Sevej
If you want to get terrain for Shadespire, then take a look at third party stuff.

hexy.store/27-wargaming-terrains

More
14 Jan 2019 21:13 #290005 by themothman421
Just in case you are interested in stuff like dice, the warband-specific dice seem to go out of stock quicker than you'd think. It took me a good bit of scrounging to find one of the "Deathrattle" dice packs for my Sepulchral Guard warband.

More
15 Jan 2019 04:10 - 15 Jan 2019 04:11 #290017 by Matt Thrower

Sevej wrote: If you want to get terrain for Shadespire, then take a look at third party stuff.

hexy.store/27-wargaming-terrains

Yes, I've seen those. They're really nice. But resin casts worry me because they're fragile for transport.

These are a tempting catch-all alternative, which will probably work for Frostgrave as well.

www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Age-Of-Sigmar-Azyrite-Ruins-2018

I know it might make sense to get another warband, but I'm such a slow painter it's offputting, and I don't really like any of the other models that much. Whereas I am continually forgetting where the blocked hexes on the Shadespire board are.
Last edit: 15 Jan 2019 04:11 by Matt Thrower.

More
15 Jan 2019 06:23 - 15 Jan 2019 06:25 #290023 by Jazzbeaux
Perhaps the Underworlds carry case? Transport stuff in safety?

Those Azyrite Ruins are nice, I have some, but there are a lot of open doorways which don't actually block if that's an issue. Obviously the pieces themselves are blocking, but figures could move through them...

Where are you going to spend your hard earned? Triple Helix?
Last edit: 15 Jan 2019 06:25 by Jazzbeaux.

More
15 Jan 2019 06:46 #290024 by Matt Thrower

Jazzbeaux wrote: Those Azyrite Ruins are nice, I have some, but there are a lot of open doorways which don't actually block if that's an issue. Obviously the pieces themselves are blocking, but figures could move through them...

Where are you going to spend your hard earned? Triple Helix?

Haha, yep. It's a bit annoying paying P&P when it's not actually far away, but given it's in the middle of nowhere in an area I don't tend to pass, it might as well be Scotland.

Underworlds is hex-based so a blocked hex is simply blocked, gaps or no. It's just nice to have a visual marker on the board beyond the hex outline to indicate where impassable terrain is. So the ruins should be fine.

More
15 Jan 2019 06:50 #290026 by Jazzbeaux

MattDP wrote: Haha, yep. It's a bit annoying paying P&P when it's not actually far away, but given it's in the middle of nowhere in an area I don't tend to pass, it might as well be Scotland.

Well that will guarantee you get what you want, I do pop in but they don't always have everything on the shelves...

More
15 Jan 2019 08:49 #290030 by Matt Thrower

Jazzbeaux wrote: Well that will guarantee you get what you want, I do pop in but they don't always have everything on the shelves...

That's very kind, and it would be great to see you - been a long time - but I imagine we might struggle to find a convenient place to meet.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.482 seconds