October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Buy your army to crush your enemies.

Dragon Rampant questions

More
29 Mar 2019 18:12 #294768 by Michael Barnes
I decided to go the Oathmark route, picked up the dwarves and goblins as well as their metal command/champion packs. It’s enough to put at least 5 6 model units on the board for each side with plenty of room for expansion and growth into 12 model units if I want to later.

I chose this over MESBG because I wanted to keep it simple and cheap. I also wanted something a little more generic. And I didn’t want to get corralled into buying GW/Forgeworld online only Finecast if I wanted to expand. I also didn’t really want those ghosts, but I may have to get one of those trolls for the Goblin army.

Very excited, the rules look really fun and the Oathmark models look great...and I may be able to put some of my Frostgrave dudes in there too.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Mar 2019 21:36 #294773 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Dragon Rampant questions
Please share us your list!

IMO, the type of army building used in DR is the most fun! Sure, you only have one "list", but shoehorning fictions into the list is one of the most fun I had in wargaming. There are special rules/options, but they are very, very minimal. I wish more games use this option, and I haven't found a good one for science fiction. My first one was Hordes of the Things.

I understand this is harder for designers, since they have to really think about which unit types & distinctions are important.

More
30 Mar 2019 00:05 #294775 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic Dragon Rampant questions
I’m still torn between this and Havoc.

More
30 Mar 2019 01:22 #294777 by GorillaGrody

blatz wrote: I’m still torn between this and Havoc.

Havoc’s a little crunchier; DR’s a little more Pick Up and Play, if that helps.
The following user(s) said Thank You: blatz

More
31 Mar 2019 08:32 #294791 by stormseeker75
Why would you choose this over Songs of Blades and Heroes? Is it just because the army creation is simpler?

More
31 Mar 2019 20:53 #294802 by Da Bid Dabid
Songs is small skirmish and Dragon is grand skirmish (more bases/figures). They feel pretty different on the table.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
31 Mar 2019 21:01 #294803 by Sevej
As Da Bid Dabid says, the scope is quite different.

Also for me, SOBH is nice, but sometimes I wish some of the special rules are incorporated as stats in stead. The game loves to claim it only has 2 stats, but I find quite a bit of the many, many special abilities annoying to pick.

I'd rather try their Battlesworn game sometime.

More
01 Apr 2019 07:28 #294812 by stormseeker75
Thanks, nerds. I will look into Dragon Rampart. That may be a good fit for my Age of Sigmar starter. I really don't like the squad rules. It feels so strange to have a group going around. I like individual models much better.

More
01 Apr 2019 08:43 #294814 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Dragon Rampant questions
Song of Blades and Heroes gets a lot of love, but my few plays of it years ago never really impressed me. The activation system was kind of neat, but that was basically it. It left me feeling kind of bland.

More
01 Apr 2019 08:52 #294816 by Da Bid Dabid
Fistful of Kung Fu and Of Gods and Mortals are REALLY great implementations of the Songs of... system. They add enough to the more basic rules with reactions and a hierarchy of units so the whole thing really hums along.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
03 Apr 2019 05:29 #294897 by Sevej

stormseeker75 wrote: Thanks, nerds. I will look into Dragon Rampart. That may be a good fit for my Age of Sigmar starter. I really don't like the squad rules. It feels so strange to have a group going around. I like individual models much better.

I'm not sure how Dragon Rampant will be any better in that regard. It's even more extreme as a group. In the official rules, one group can't be within 3" of other groups, even allies. Cohesion is a simple 3" radius from the leader model

More
03 Apr 2019 07:29 #294899 by stormseeker75
Oh, gross. Nevermind then! Maybe I'll just paint AoS.

More
11 Apr 2019 19:15 #295354 by GorillaGrody
Cleaning a windowsill I found a Tyrannosaurus toy resting on it. I cleaned it, rebased it, and repainted it.

I think this might become the centerpiece for a Dragon Rampant army. I might even seek out a saddle for him.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, birdman37

More
11 Apr 2019 23:29 #295358 by blatz
Replied by blatz on topic Dragon Rampant questions
Heh, I just picked up a T-Rex to use in Song of Blades and Heroes. Gonna paint him up 70’s/80’s Marvel Savage Lands style and run him with my Godsworn Hunt barbarians.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
12 Apr 2019 11:06 #295380 by Michael Barnes
Fun! That work in some kind of lizard man army too.

I’ve had the Oathmark figures in for about a week and I’m painting the Goblins. They are just like the Frostgrave plastics, and are in fact interchangeable with their pieces, which is pretty neat. They are pretty fun to paint- much lower stress than a GW model, and more forgiving of my sloppiness. They rank up nicely (square bases). The Dwarves look especially good and both sets are more classic 70s/80s takes on these races.

May try to play a Dragon Rampant game with them tonight. I’m thinking of doing a block of 10 spearmen, 2x blocks of 5 hand weapon/shield dudes, and 2x blocks of 5 archers on each side. Might get cheeky and throw in a troll and a dragon.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds