October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Netrunner

More
10 Jan 2013 06:20 #141195 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: Netrunner

SaMoKo wrote: I'm not so much seeing how many players find that the corp controls the pace and information of the game. The runner, by determining when hacking attempts are made and where, will determine when and how quickly resources are spent. Some of the tricks up the hacker's sleeve (especially the blue criminal guy) are just as nasty as the traps the corp will set. Add to this that the runner can feint an attack by jacking out after the first ice, and I'm finding that there's equal room for bluffing and head-games on both sides, which was a great surprise.

This is what I keep saying, but everyone seems content to parrot "the corp has all the hidden information" over and over and over again.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Jan 2013 07:46 #141196 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Re: Netrunner
Seemed that way to me for a bit, until I found myself paranoid about Infiltration before advancing a Junebug. Now I'm trying to figure out how to get my opponent to use those damned things on Assets (with little success so far). On the plus, I've had great luck with by using a Private Security Force to rail a runner who thought he was safe with a mid sized hand. Timing when to flip a completed Agenda is sometimes critical.

Being the evil corp is tough work man, but that's what makes it fun. Definitely a strong metagame going on, and the deck building adds another layer. The more I think about it, this game would be so much worse without both players building and tweaking decks every game. The influence system makes that easy and quick, which is a big reason why the game works so well for me.

More
10 Jan 2013 09:20 #141199 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Re: Netrunner

dragonstout wrote: This is what I keep saying, but everyone seems content to parrot "the corp has all the hidden information" over and over and over again.

I'm not sure they do. What they might be saying is that the corp has *more* of the hidden information, because it happens to be true. Also worth noting that *all* the corp IDs have to play the hidden information game whereas most of the Runner ones do not.

Picked up the new data packs yesterday. Review will be forthcoming. Initial impression is that they make Anarch and Jinteki a lot more fun to play: less impact on the other factions.

More
10 Jan 2013 09:45 #141200 by Erik Twice
Replied by Erik Twice on topic Re: Netrunner
I think the Runner's hand is the most important information of the game, and it's hidden.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout, bioball

More
10 Jan 2013 14:42 #141206 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: Netrunner

dragonstout wrote: [quote="SaMoKo" post=141180This is what I keep saying, but everyone seems content to parrot "the corp has all the hidden information" over and over and over again.

It's legitimate to say that the corp has the majority of the hidden information. All corp cards enter play face-down. All runner cards enter play face-up. Notice the difference?

More
10 Jan 2013 16:49 #141224 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re: Netrunner

Erik Twice wrote: I think the Runner's hand is the most important information of the game, and it's hidden.

This is how I feel about it as well. I think the Runner has the advantage in terms of hidden information.

More
10 Jan 2013 17:33 - 10 Jan 2013 18:50 #141231 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: Netrunner
Erik Twice is right on target.

The Corp has more face-down cards in play: *duh*. But first of all, frequently the runner has a good idea as to what they are thanks to R&D and HQ runs that failed to score an agenda. The runner can also FORCE reveals of the face-down cards, just by running. The riskiest move in the game is not a run, it's putting an agenda down in a data fort. And the thing that makes it risky is that the Corp does not know if the runner has the necessary icebreakers, or an Inside Job, or that Shaper card that gives an ICE every type, etc.

A run where you don't know what the ICE you're facing are, or whether it's an agenda or node you're running on? Whatever, an action wasted, maybe some damage taken. Most ICE, it doesn't matter *that* much what it is.

Put an agenda down somewhere where the runner has the necessary tools in his hand to get to it? Game-losing.
Last edit: 10 Jan 2013 18:50 by dragonstout.

More
10 Jan 2013 18:20 #141238 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re: Netrunner
I've always thought the Runner had the advantage by having greater ability to control the tempo of the game. I see it as very similar to trying to control the tempo in MtG.

More
11 Mar 2013 16:33 - 11 Mar 2013 16:38 #146947 by Disgustipater
Replied by Disgustipater on topic Re: Netrunner
Thread necro, but now that the game and some add-ons have been out for a while, maybe opinions have solidified.

I've avoided this game because I didn't want to have to buy all the expansions (I would have to), and it's 2-player only. But recently I've been thinking about picking this up to play with my wife and I was curious about a few things.

1) How prominent is deck-building? I loved deck building in Magic, but she will have zero interest, so I would be putting each deck together. Is there any issue with me knowing the details and strategies of both decks?

2) From what I've read in the thread, the core decks could use some outside tweaking. I'm fine with buying a few add-on packs (I guess they're called?), but I really don't want to continually buy new stuff. Since I would be sleeving these, I could always add extra copies of stuff I would need (but already own) by just slipping a printed piece of paper into the sleeve. Now that you people have been playing it for a few months, can I realistically expect to get "endless" play out of the same decks over and over?

I'm going to rent this next week to at least give it a try, but I wanted to find out about its viability beforehand.
Last edit: 11 Mar 2013 16:38 by Disgustipater.

More
11 Mar 2013 18:00 #146975 by JoelCFC25
Replied by JoelCFC25 on topic Re: Netrunner
The starter decks are necessarily pretty limited. By all means play them a few times each while you are finding your feet with the game. But inevitably you will find yourself wanting to use some/all available influence on juicy out-of-faction cards. So I would say deck construction is a huge part of the game once you are past the initial learning curve (if you even wait that long). If you end up constructing decks for both sides, mainly you just miss out on the element of surprise--i.e., what the opponent may or may not have spent influence on. You'd know to be wary of Snares splashed into an NBN deck because you put them there!

No matter how many cores and/or add-on packs you buy, I think it's fair to say that playing the same decks repeatedly would get stale eventually. There are countless possibilities to avail yourself of--why ignore them?

Once you hit the 2 or 3 add-on pack mark, you're going to have a nice pool of cards from which to choose. As long as it's just the 2 of you and you aren't going to attempt to keep pace with the competitive crowd, this could last you a long, long time. If you have completionist tendencies, I could very easily see you going down a rabbit hole with this one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Disgustipater

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.275 seconds