October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

MTGO: the Cube returns...with the POWER NINE!!!

More
16 Dec 2012 07:19 - 16 Dec 2012 07:19 #139706 by dragonstout
Just a little news that might entice old MTG players to download Magic Online: the Cube is back on Magic Online starting this Wednesday till the beginning of January! And even better: they've put the Power 9 in the Cube (along with other overpowered cards like Sol Ring, Library of Alexandria, Mana Drain, Mind Twist, Moat)!!!! This is the first time that the Power 9 will be available to play online.

Also very important: as long as you download the new Beta client and sign on via the new Beta client by the end of the weekend, you'll get two free Cube tickets, which will help make Cube drafts cheaper, kinda. If you play an 8-man tournament using the Beta client, you'll get another 4 Cube tix.

I'm hoping the Power 9 stays in the Cube and that this is not just a one-time holiday thing, as I feel like no card should ever be banned for power-level's sake from the cube. Here's hoping it's a big success!
Last edit: 16 Dec 2012 07:19 by dragonstout.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2012 12:40 #139712 by Space Ghost
That's exciting, at least. I am having an internal debate about what to do with MtG -- keep or sell. I haven't really bought new cards in a significant quantity since Lorwyn.

More
16 Dec 2012 16:41 #139720 by dragonstout
Hey Space Ghost,

Of course, the MTGO Cube is completely irrelevant as to whether you should keep or sell your Magic cards: of course you should try it (again, maybe)!

About keeping or selling: it's all about your financial & space situation, I think. For Modern cards, i.e. tournament-worthy cards with the modern border: wait until February, when Modern season starts, and then sell those off like crazy before they might be reprinted in Modern Masters. For non-reserve-listed eternal cards, like Force of Will & Wasteland: I'm actually tempted to sell those off, thanks to Modern Masters, and because I have no chance to keep up with Legacy lately. For Power 9 specifically: this is tough; the big question is whether the release of the Power 9 online next year is going to increase interest in real life Vintage, or decrease interest as people move online. My bet would be on the former, but it's something to think about.

For other eternal staples: they've been pretty steady investments, so it depends on whether you need the money, or just want to get rid of clutter in your life. One of the most useful websites for making MTG-related financial decisions is:
www.blacklotusproject.com

If you're going to be doing major, major sales through eBay or whatever, it might be worth buying a month's worth of subscription to quietspeculation.com, as well, by far the best MTG finance site, and then just ask questions like crazy in the forums.

More
16 Dec 2012 17:10 #139723 by TheDukester
Maybe that 9-power card can finally summon some Mac support.

Or maybe I'm being too harsh — it's only been 11 years now. I'm sure they have a team of monkeys working on it around the clock.

Maybe I'll pass the time by doing searches for "Wizards" and "layoffs."
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
16 Dec 2012 18:21 #139725 by dragonstout
That's pretty much accurate...their digital team boggles my mind. Not having Mac support is absurd, especially when the lead Magic designer is a HUGE and vocal Mac fan, but even more especially when it's freaking 2012.

Personally, I have a Mac, and partitioned my hard drive with BootCamp and put Windows on the partition just so I could play Magic Online.

More
19 Dec 2012 22:33 - 19 Dec 2012 22:34 #139918 by dragonstout
Last edit: 19 Dec 2012 22:34 by dragonstout. Reason: double post

More
19 Dec 2012 22:33 - 19 Dec 2012 22:37 #139919 by dragonstout
So in the new cube, draftable starting NOW, you can have packs like this:

Attachment cmon.PNG not found

EDIT: That didn't work too well, shrunk the picture too much. Second and third from the right in the top row are Ancestral Recall and Mox Jet, and on the bottom there's Mana Crypt, Library of Alexandria, Mox Sapphire, Mana Vault, and Mana Drain.
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Dec 2012 22:37 by dragonstout.

More
19 Dec 2012 22:51 #139920 by Erik Twice
I didn't really look into the new art after being dissapointed with the new Mana Vault but damn, is the new Time Walk sexy, time to set it as wallpaper!

More
19 Dec 2012 23:56 #139923 by bioball
You have your drafted deck yet, 'Stout? I'm curious as to what you came out with.

In a related note, I've tried a few times to install MTG on my computer but there is some "missing DLL" nonsense that prevents the program from starting.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
20 Dec 2012 00:16 #139926 by dragonstout
Whoops, meant to reply, not thank you.

I'm still at work, that was a friend. And apparently it's due to a bug: I've seen screenshots of literally an entire pack of Power (+ Sol Ring etc.). Idiots...anyway, they're taking the queues down and fixing it.

Have you asked Wizards customer service about the problem? Try installing the Beta client, if the normal one won't work.

More
20 Dec 2012 03:22 #139930 by Bulwyf
The new cube looks cool, but I loathe MtG:O. A buddy of mine is making a cube so hopefully he'll have that done soon.

-Will

More
20 Dec 2012 17:17 #139956 by bioball

dragonstout wrote: Have you asked Wizards customer service about the problem? Try installing the Beta client, if the normal one won't work.

Yeah, I'll have to give the beta a shot and see if that clears up everything. But seriously it is still ugly looking.

More
20 Dec 2012 18:37 - 20 Dec 2012 18:38 #139963 by dragonstout
Oh, I actually hate the Beta, or at least I did a few months ago when I tried it and it literally gave me 15 copies of each card I drafted. Made it *pretty* hard to build a deck.

I Cube-drafted twice last night, in the single-elimination queues (as always, I suggest Swiss, I was just pressed for time and feeling cocky). In the first draft, the moment I hit "submit" for my decklist, it booted me out of MTGO, and I ended up with an 80-card deck with every card I drafted!!! You can sideboard to change that for the next two games though. But it was funny as hell, working with that crazy handicap, not knowing what might come up! And I made it all the way to the finals, and even won a game in which my lazy opponent (okay, actually they were pressed for time) miscounted a Brain Freeze (he had Heartbeat of Spring and Palinchron to make infinite mana and generate infinite storm count), as well as a game where my first play was a third turn Mox Diamond + Garruk Wildspeaker->Beast, and the opponent blew that out completely by Bolting the beast and attacking with Tattermunge Maniac (killing Garruk), Goblin Vandal(killing the Mox, not to mention the land that had to be discarded to the Mox), and Keldon Marauders (killing my life). Lost in the finals to 3rd turn Exhume Griselbrand, then 2nd turn Exhume Griselbrand (I won one where he went a little slower). I loved my deck, though: no matter how completely terrible the situation was, I always had numerous outs in my deck (there are very few cards in the whole game that I love more than Balance), and I enjoyed eliminating my opponent's possible outs to whatever I lay down via Winter Orb and Tangle Wire.

The second draft I drafted a nearly mono-artifact deck, with Metalworker, Tezzeret: Agent of Bolas, Balance, Lodestone Golem, etc., as well as Library of Alexandria and Weathered Wayfarer to search for it. Lost a hard-fought first match because of a crucial error: I didn't blow up my opponent's Recurring Nightmare when I had the chance, despite thinking about it. I somehow didn't realize the shenanigans about to be pulled. Turns out...Recurring Nightmare is puh-retty good with Terastodon and Woodfall Primus! I also blew my wad with Balance WAY too early; would have been the most devastating Balance ever if I had it at the very end of that game; I had just enough lands to cast it, after all X-P

Those are the kind of Cube interactions you want to be looking for, and are the thing that make Cube the best way ever to play the best game ever.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2012 18:38 by dragonstout.

More
20 Dec 2012 20:06 #139972 by Dair
I drafted a swiss queue last night and went for RDW for my first time in cube. I think my deck was okay, although I splashed black, and that is probably sub-optimal. Nether Void was worth it (plus a couple creatures). I saw one pack with 3 moxes in it, as you posted about earlier. It wasn't quite as loaded as ones I have heard about. Somehow, I wheeled a Mox Sapphire out of it, and that seems like it should never happen. All in all, it was a lot of fun. Especially trying out a mostly unfamiliar archetype.

I also did an Urza's draft. I never drafted this format, so it is completely new to me. The price seems relatively cheap, compared with the value of the packs.

Also, dragonstout, did you see they are going to be giving out Force of Will promos to increase the supply? I now regret picking up a playset within the last month, but I can live with the lower price if it means more legacy/vintage/classic events. Now I just need to fill out my dual lands and workshop pieces.

More
20 Dec 2012 20:30 - 20 Dec 2012 20:36 #139975 by dragonstout
Dair, I've heard dual lands are at a ridiculous low right now, so I'd prioritize those. As for FoW: a pleasant surprise! Probably a good idea to sell your FoWs before the influx of new ones, though; what you want to do is wait until after the first "panic sell" drop; the price will come back up a bit, and then is the time to sell, as the price will start slowly dropping afterward, with another big drop when the FoWs start getting handed out. That's my advice, at least.

In fact, with 4 FoWs and an interest in playing Vintage online, I'd HIGHLY recommend going to quietspeculation.com and getting a free one-day trial membership, just to read their recent article about what financial changes the Power 9 is going to have online. And then read my PM.

NOTE: All of the above only applies to Magic ONLINE.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2012 20:36 by dragonstout.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.611 seconds