October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

What about Star Wars LCG?

More
21 Dec 2012 19:32 #140078 by metalface13
Deckbuilding in this sounds up my alley. I like CCGs, but I suck at building decks. Which is also why I enjoy the Magic: Duels of the Planeswalkers games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Dec 2012 21:11 #140093 by san il defanso
I will say that the deckbuilding has moved the needle on this one from "will probably never play" to "maybe will get into." It seems to solve every single issue I've ever had with deckbuilding.

More
21 Dec 2012 21:20 #140094 by Ska_baron

JonJacob wrote: Our very own Ken has betrayed us and given his opinion to the wrong website. I don't know if this is burn at the stake worthy or not but see for yourself.

www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/900614/why-...this-game-is-awesome

Over at F:AT he posted... nothing about this. TRAITOR....

Now do you overseas chaps get who Benedict Arnold is?

Ken finally comes back (just in time for the holidays!) and THIS is how he treats us?

Not cool, man. NOT COOL.

More
22 Dec 2012 21:55 #140172 by OldHippy
God damn! I just bought two core sets. Eric Lang's name, the awesomeness of X-Wing, the cool deck building idea, the tutorial, the setting.

How could I resist? The odds were against me. Normally I don't like gambling on these things cause I'm like a midget at a BBQ (the stakes are too high) but I made an exception... again!

I suck.

More
22 Dec 2012 22:55 - 22 Dec 2012 22:56 #140175 by Fallen
Anyone know if the old CCG is compatible? I have the first 4 sets complete and the 5/6th almost complete. Though I did give away the 1000's of spares I had kicking about...
scrap that, I just looked at the FFG site & it's a stretch at best.
Last edit: 22 Dec 2012 22:56 by Fallen.

More
22 Dec 2012 23:05 #140176 by Ken B.

JonJacob wrote: God damn! I just bought two core sets. Eric Lang's name, the awesomeness of X-Wing, the cool deck building idea, the tutorial, the setting.

How could I resist? The odds were against me. Normally I don't like gambling on these things cause I'm like a midget at a BBQ (the stakes are too high) but I made an exception... again!

I suck.

Yah man, the tutorial did it for me. Looks like some good stuff. I'm in for two core sets.

More
23 Dec 2012 01:22 #140178 by dragonstout

Fallen wrote: Anyone know if the old CCG is compatible? I have the first 4 sets complete and the 5/6th almost complete. Though I did give away the 1000's of spares I had kicking about...
scrap that, I just looked at the FFG site & it's a stretch at best.

Not remotely compatible or the same game. As compatible as Magic cards are with Netrunner.

More
23 Dec 2012 02:03 - 23 Dec 2012 02:06 #140180 by Bull Nakano
The deckbuilding system looks very fresh, and the art is fantastic. The gameplay, from the tutorial videos, while streamlined/simple, looks like typical CCG gameplay, so I'm going to wait for some reviews.

REALLY like the art though.

Does anyone have thoughts on how the game plays?

EDIT: I also find it amusing that their version of tapping is putting counters on cards. For those of us who played magic in the early days, folks would put coins or glass beads on their cards to symbolise that they were tapped. This was to avoid physical wear to the cards in the days before card sleeves.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2012 02:06 by Bull Nakano.

More
23 Dec 2012 04:59 - 23 Dec 2012 04:59 #140184 by Ken B.

Bull Nakano wrote: The deckbuilding system looks very fresh, and the art is fantastic. The gameplay, from the tutorial videos, while streamlined/simple, looks like typical CCG gameplay, so I'm going to wait for some reviews.

REALLY like the art though.

Does anyone have thoughts on how the game plays?

EDIT: I also find it amusing that their version of tapping is putting counters on cards. For those of us who played magic in the early days, folks would put coins or glass beads on their cards to symbolise that they were tapped. This was to avoid physical wear to the cards in the days before card sleeves.

Well, it's kind of like Heroclix, in that a character or any other card can accumulate multiple tokens, and since they only refresh one token each at the beginning of that player's turn, it keeps them out of the action longer.
Last edit: 23 Dec 2012 04:59 by Ken B..

More
13 Jan 2013 03:20 #141435 by metalface13
What's up with the first cycle of expansions being Hoth based? I know the core set has characters/units from all over the trilogy, but with how little spies & smuggles/scum and villainy you'd think we'd see Tatooine stuff. I guess that will be the first big expansion?

More
13 Jan 2013 16:59 - 13 Jan 2013 17:03 #141447 by OldHippy
I could care less where it's set just so long as I get more Jedi cards. I need a good Jedi deck that can compete with that Sith motherfucker.

But certainly Hoth does seem odd, you'd think they'd focus on flushing out those new factions... for which you only get one set so really it's just 12 wasted cards for the time being.

However Han Solo could be mixed into the existing LS decks because they added a neutral deck that specializes in getting non-resource matched units to the table. So there is a feasible way to do it.

For my Jedi deck I'm trying out, 1, ,1, 2, ,2, 3, 3, 4, 4, 6, 6

hopefully that's an improvement. The random hands I'm dealing myself look pretty good and the doubled up big units make for some good chance in the edge battles. But beating the Sith won't be easy.
Last edit: 13 Jan 2013 17:03 by OldHippy.

More
13 Jan 2013 19:05 #141451 by metalface13
You're obsessed with the Jedi deck beating the Sith deck, huh?
The following user(s) said Thank You: OldHippy

More
14 Jan 2013 11:27 #141469 by wice
Replied by wice on topic Re: What about Star Wars LCG?
Personally, I was more excited about the Star Wars LCG before I watched the video tutorial. I was expecting it to make a bit more sense thematically. It was a huge disappointment to see R2-D2, Luke Skywalker, and others "generating resources" and adding "focus tokens" to "areas", instead of going here or there, and doing stuff they would actually do in the movies... :(

More
14 Jan 2013 19:39 #141494 by OldHippy

wice wrote: Personally, I was more excited about the Star Wars LCG before I watched the video tutorial. I was expecting it to make a bit more sense thematically. It was a huge disappointment to see R2-D2, Luke Skywalker, and others "generating resources" and adding "focus tokens" to "areas", instead of going here or there, and doing stuff they would actually do in the movies... :(

I can certainly understand thinking the game is not very thematic.. it is at a very high level of abstraction and that won't be to everyone's liking however the things you mention do not happen.

Luke and the others do not generate resources... ever (some characters can but they're usually diplomats and the like.. easy to imagine how that would happen, and if they help you to collect resources then they can't help you attack an objective hence the focus token) and focus tokens are not added to "areas". They are added to objectives just to show where you've taken resources from but that's just like tapping a resource card in any other C/LCG. Focus tokens can be placed on characters but not to take resources from them.. that's just to show that they are committed to some battle/objective already.

It's actually quite thematic once you get used to the scale it operates at.

More
14 Jan 2013 20:12 #141499 by metalface13
Also, the Decipher Star Wars CCG was very much about having dudes run around to different locations, getting weapons/equipment, piloting spaceships and battling each other. Although the unthematic part was the wacky "force drain" that was a big part of the game. I don't remember anybody doing any "force draining" in the films. But it served to show how one side can hurt the other by controlling an area.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.116 seconds