October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Let's Talk Pokemon

More
05 Mar 2013 14:11 #146235 by Mr. White
Let's Talk Pokemon was created by Mr. White
My son is 6, a reader, and pretty bright. I think he's coming to the age were I'd like to have a game we collect and play together. Pokemon seems like it'd be fun. He could save up his money from chores we could buy packs, trade cards, etc. Seems like it'd be a great experience.

Is 6 too young though? Is the game any good (never played)? A better recommendation?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Mar 2013 15:05 #146241 by QPCloudy
Replied by QPCloudy on topic Re: Let's Talk Pokemon
Pokemon is great even at that age, so long as the reading skill is there. I would high recommend it. I play with my 9 and 11 year old. I so play with my buddies, so the age spread is huge. Buy a coue theme decks and try it out. You can find some theme decks discounted at Walmart from older sets that have rotated out of being tournament legal.

tl;dr. Try it, you'll like it.

More
05 Mar 2013 15:16 #146242 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Let's Talk Pokemon
Yeah, I see it in Target. Got a recommended set/deck to start buying in with?

How's the math on the game?

More
05 Mar 2013 15:21 #146243 by QPCloudy
Math is super easy unless you start building really techy decks. To be honest I'd recommend buying one each of the plasma storm decks if you're just trying it out, then maybe a couple boosters if you both really like it to flesh out your decks.

Going to your local Pokemon league is also an invaluable tool. Aside from the social aspect, other players will help you tune your decks and quite often time just give you cards to help round them out.

More
05 Mar 2013 15:23 #146244 by QPCloudy
Forgot to mention Plasma Storm is the current set most recently released. I play mostly boundaries crossed and plasma storm cards. They're smexy.

More
05 Mar 2013 17:58 #146264 by metalface13
Replied by metalface13 on topic Re: Let's Talk Pokemon
I played a ton of Pokemon the summer after my freshman year in college. I love it! I'm sure the game has evolved a ton and I wouldn't recognize 99% of the Pokemon, but the game is fun.

My 6-year-old nephew got a few cards somewhere, so when I went and visited my parents in August I found some of my old cards and gave them to him. They weren't enough to build a deck (not enough energy) so I couldn't really teach him the game. His reading level is good, but he's never played a game with a lot of rules.

More
05 Mar 2013 18:29 #146266 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Let's Talk Pokemon
Six is a little early but the game has other facets that six-year-olds will love. Once he's eight he'll be able to assemble decks and put together a reasonable game. Don't hesitate to start getting the cards though.

Pokemon cards can be found at yard sales in groups of 500 for about $10. Often there are gems included in the mix because most kids that buy them never play the game. Some tournaments limit the use of older cards, but that has no effect on casual play. Our local Pokemon club plays all cards virtually all of the time, so run through a couple of yard sales can get you fully powered up to build a dozen different decks.

It's a solid CCG, probably the #2 only to Magic.

S.

More
06 Mar 2013 00:07 #146315 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Re: Let's Talk Pokemon
Can you guys even pronounce the names right?

More
06 Mar 2013 02:47 #146329 by QPCloudy

Sevej wrote: Can you guys even pronounce the names right?

Pee-kah-choo

Skwer-tul
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
06 Mar 2013 02:56 #146330 by Mr. White
I think I'll actually pick this up in a few months and we'll play over the summer.

Is there a good two-player starter set? I was at Hastings tonight and it looked like only 60+ card single decks (about $13) were available. Doesn't mean two-player starters aren't out there. Any for Plasma Storm?

Also, we won't be hitting up 'league' night anytime soon.

More
06 Mar 2013 04:23 #146339 by QPCloudy
They used to make two player starter packs with two 40 card decks but I haven't seen those in years. Walmart has these clear plastic deck cubes that come with two theme decks inside and two promos for something like $17. That migh be a less expensive route to test the waters.

More
06 Mar 2013 04:35 #146340 by Sagrilarus
And don't rule out "League" because for the most part they're laid back and not playing for keeps. It's hard to get too intense when there's a nine-year-old girl across from you with a Pikachu hat sideways on her head.

I think you're going to end up buying two decks, or going to a yard sale or two and building your own. It's not that hard.

S.

More
01 Jul 2013 03:07 #155475 by Mr. White
This weekend, my son and I bought one PlasmaStorm themed deck each. Pretty good deal at Target, I suppose. About $12 for the 60 card deck, mat, tokens, etc. There's some foil pokemon in there that is a duplicate of the powerful basic for the theme. Is that for collecting only? Can you have two of the same card in a deck (so long is you dump another to keep to adhere to the 60 card max)?

Anyway, the game was a _huge_ hit. I think it immediately retired all our other 'young boy' games (battleball, recently acquired Rush 'n Crush, Dungeon! Micro Mutants, etc). This seems to be the one. To be honest I found playing against him quite enjoyable as well.

Next trick is going to be managing his spending. He's already talking about more decks, but I'm going to restrict him to one booster a month max. He's 6. He's also asking me if I wished there were tournaments we could play at...

Anyway, I do have one question. The whole deal on if you don't have a basic pokemon in hand you can shuffle your hand into the deck and draw seven more (with your opponent drawing one), that only happens if you _start_ your turn without basic pokemon in hand, correct?

More
01 Jul 2013 04:08 - 01 Jul 2013 04:14 #155480 by Sagrilarus
Only if you start the game with no basics. After that you need to work with what you've got, so there's incentive to not have all stage 2s and 3s in your deck. If you run out of basics you lose early.

Don't play tournaments with him. Find a league where young kids play more for fun. Pokemon dojos are designed to reward games played with pins and medals. They reward play. The tournaments bring adult sharks (18 - 30 year olds) from fifty miles away with beast decks. The new tournament rules invalidate old cards which makes them harder to work to as well.

S.

By the way I think the duplicate card limit is four. Variations on the same pokemon count as dupes. I can't imagine your prefab decks don't have dupes.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2013 04:14 by Sagrilarus.

More
01 Jul 2013 12:38 #155495 by Mr. White

Sagrilarus wrote: By the way I think the duplicate card limit is four. Variations on the same pokemon count as dupes. I can't imagine your prefab decks don't have dupes.

So if I have three Basic versions of Turtwig and a Stage 1 (when he turns into Grotle) that's essentially 4 variations of the same pokemon? Or do you mean variations as in that powerful basic and the foil version of the same card being two variations?

If it's the latter, I'm assuming I can use 4 Turtwigs and 4 Grotles.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds