October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Let's talk about the Lord of the Rings LCG

More
05 Jul 2014 07:17 #181639 by repoman
There is absolutely no need for a second base set. Extra Gandalf cards would be nice but all the base missions can be beat by what comes in the box.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2016 16:53 #229233 by metalface13
Invoke spell: THREAD NECRO

I have a copy of LOTR: LCR and maybe one of the small expansions or two from the Mirkwood cycle amongst all my games in storage. I've never played it and it's been on my "to sell" list for a while, but having recently learned of the Saga expansions my interest in the game has been piqued. Anyone have any experience with the Saga expansions? They sound interesting to play, as I like imagining "what-if" scenarios for LOTR. I think I might give this a shot once all our stuff comes out of storage when we move into our new (and first) house next month.

More
22 Jun 2016 18:40 - 22 Jun 2016 20:59 #229235 by boothwah
I have a the base set plus 4 of the mirkwood expacs - It was more than kind of disappointing. Fundamentally, the game is draw a card :bad things happen - which is fine, but the combat is so fundamentally goofy - monsters pop, attach to a player, and then you have to throw chump blockers at them until you can whack them later - Mostly strategy revolves around building up a board of expendable goons so that you can quest,......the deckbuilding options, even with the base set and a handful of packs, are not great.

I've seen friends that have invested in heavily into the game have much more enjoyable, varied decks, with some actual synergy - but that's $200-$300 in. There are plenty of deckbuilding lcg's that can offer that kind of experience for much less investment.

Cool setting, cool art, horrid mechanics. Solid D+ on Boothometer.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2016 20:59 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
22 Jun 2016 19:06 - 26 Jun 2016 12:50 #229237 by Frohike
I have the same exact set and the same exact reaction to it. I need to unload this on an auction.

Edit: aaand gone, as of Friday. So long, LOTR:LCG
Last edit: 26 Jun 2016 12:50 by Frohike.

More
22 Jun 2016 19:31 - 22 Jun 2016 19:31 #229238 by Sevej

metalface13 wrote: Invoke spell: THREAD NECRO

I have a copy of LOTR: LCR and maybe one of the small expansions or two from the Mirkwood cycle amongst all my games in storage. I've never played it and it's been on my "to sell" list for a while, but having recently learned of the Saga expansions my interest in the game has been piqued. Anyone have any experience with the Saga expansions? They sound interesting to play, as I like imagining "what-if" scenarios for LOTR. I think I might give this a shot once all our stuff comes out of storage when we move into our new (and first) house next month.

This is the one I'd been thinking hard on. But it seems I never had enough budget to get the Saga expansions for some reasons. It's just not high enough on my priority list. I gave the base game to a friend once I tried WHQTACG.
Last edit: 22 Jun 2016 19:31 by Sevej.

More
23 Jun 2016 04:03 #229255 by mads b.
I have the first saga expansion (first part of The Hobbit) and it's great. Fun cards and fun quests.

But the best quest I have is Massing at Osgilliath which is a big print on demand scenario. It's brutal, but it has one or two really cool surprises that add a lot of narrative to the game.

That being said, however, I haven't played in a while. I got a lot of enjoyment from just the core set, but I don't really want to spend a lot of time building decks for it. But if they make the Arkham game that's been hinted at, I'm all in.

More
24 Jun 2016 10:40 - 24 Jun 2016 10:41 #229313 by metalface13
I guess since I moved last year and have failed to make any gamer friends so far, I'm interested in something I can play solo that has a little more meat on its bones. WHQ:AC is awesome, but I need some metagaming to obsess over that isn't Blood Bowl. Also the semi-campaign mode of the Saga expansions is what really has me interested. Once we get moved into the house I can dig out the core set and try learning the rules and see if it's worth investing further in.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2016 10:41 by metalface13.

More
25 Jun 2016 17:04 #229352 by Mr. White
Casey, why not use that metagaming time to paint some minis? ;)

More
25 Jun 2016 19:03 #229355 by metalface13

Mr. White wrote: Casey, why not use that metagaming time to paint some minis? ;)

That might happen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White

More
26 Jun 2016 08:32 - 26 Jun 2016 11:57 #229362 by wkover
The Lord of the Rings LCG was our go-to family coop game for at least a year. We used four mono-colored decks to keep things simple, though the game itself was still quite mathy.

One problem is that no one was interested in deckbuilding, so I was the one who was stuck tweaking all four decks. I became torn after a while - i didn't want to get stuck in a rut by always playing the same exact 'tuned' decks (if there is such a thing in LoTR), but I was also too lazy to keep changing them.

The point became completely moot when Pathfinder was released, as LoTR was declared dead and Pathfinder became the only four-player game that we ever played. That's still true (2-3 years running?), as we're deep into the Wrath of the Righteous campaign and hoping to finish up by August.
Last edit: 26 Jun 2016 11:57 by wkover. Reason: Time flies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Frohike

More
07 Jan 2017 14:51 #241959 by RabidWookie
Pathfinder was a massive disappointment for me. No meaningful gameplay whatsoever. LOTR LCG is a brilliant game, but it's very mathy and requires a lot of pre-game deck construction.

More
08 Jan 2017 19:09 #242020 by Sevej
It's not only mathy, but also very mechanistic. The amount of automatic if-thens in the game is way more than I'm willing to tolerate.

More
08 Jan 2017 20:19 #242028 by Vlad
I like LOTR LCG quite a lot. I find it very thematic, I like the way the adventure deck (whatever that's called) works. I don't mind it being hard, it actually reminds me a lot of Dark Souls experience - you go there, get beaten, go back with new strategy, get a little bit further but beaten, etc. - until you feel like you dominate the encounter, because you got better. I played it a lot with my wife about 4 years ago and we still remember the specific adventures and what happened (like that troll at river). I'd love to do the saga following the books... BUT, my god, the deckbuilding. Just thinking about getting back into it makes my head ache.

There are two possibilities of me playing it again - if we go on a long holiday with nothing else for entertainment (unlikely) or FFG makes a digital version (more likely, and I think eventually inevitable).

More
08 Jan 2017 20:40 #242029 by Hadik
I'm looking for the Heirs of Numenor expansion if some wants to unload theirs.

More
08 Jan 2017 21:56 #242035 by Egg Shen
Interesting that someone necro'd this thread as I've been very interested in this lately. Honestly, I've been interested in the game since it came out and every six months or so I think about buying it. So far I've never pulled the trigger.

My latest idea is to buy the base game and simply focus on the big box Saga expansions. Anyone have any experience with them? Or would I be missing out on other shit that makes the game impossible or something?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.232 seconds