October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
15 Jun 2018 21:56 #275510 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
Took some luuuuuumps in Standard on Thursday that got me down. I think I lost like 6 in a row. And it was some heartbreaking topdecking bs, you know how it goes. So I built Odd Rogue in Wild and started climbing over there just to shake it off. I think I am 10-2 now. You could make a cheaaaaaaap deck in Wild and proably get to Rank 15 with no sweat and Rank 10 without too much work. Rogue is just generically good and a lot of Wild decks are CRAZY slow. You can tempo them right out of the game. Pack Silence effects, some kind of burst, and you're good to go.

Jeb's Off-The-Top-Of-His-Head Cheap Rogue for Wild

2x Backstab
2x Firefly
2x Southsea Deckhand
2x Hallucination
2x Cold Blood
2x Conceal
2x Eviscerate
2x Sap
1x Shiv
2x SI:7 Agent (Rare!)
1x Elven Mistrel (Rare!)
2x Ironbeak Owl
2x Questing Adventurer (Rare!)
2x Tomb Pillager (this is craftable, right?)
2x Azure Drake (Rare!)
2x Gadgetzan Auctioneer (Rare!)

900 dust in Rares, plus the Pillagers and Conceals you need to craft because they are never in packs even though Common, so say 1000 dust for the average player. I should play this next season and see how it does.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Jun 2018 14:11 #275547 by MacDirk Diggler
Yes. The struggle is real. I know what I am and it’s hard being me. I am just good enough that when I lose I can look back and see exactly where it unraveled and then beat myself up about it. I play too fast and need to get in the habit of doing some Zalae type analysis of my turns and see what other plays I have besides knee jerk reflex ones. I am rank 4-5 player and need to improve my game if I ever hope to be anything more than that. Getting set back to 7 is no big deal because with win streaks I can get back to 5 in 4-5 days. But rank 5 is a bitch believe it or not. Firebat himself was stuck there for longer than he’d have liked and got salty about it. Rank 5 you get all the people that realize they can play whatever they want and not go back, so they play some crazy sh*t. There is no rank 5 meta.

Just yesterday I was at 5.5 for like the fifth time and really wanted to make 4. Playing token Druid and cue into priest. Dude is playing a Lyra resurrect deck, and I swear he made 5 Lyras before he beat me. About 20 cards in finally draws Dragonsoul weapon.
It only made 1 dragon. I lost to Lyra value, multiple mass dispels and the like. But do you know how bad it feels to lose to Dragonsoul priest? Should call it suicide priest because I wanted to kill myself. Ok, that is hyperbole.... but still.

I don’t feel like it’s all Rock Paper Scissors to blame for my losses. I think a decent percent, maybe half I could have played a better line. Meta is wide especially here so I am not bored with the game. Just frustrated at my own plateau and limitations to playing better. I play ladder like 75% iPad, 24% phone, <1% desktop. I can see that playing on desktop with innkeeper and decktracker help. Going to HSreplays and checking which cards have the highest win rate on your mulligan for the matchup. You gonna get 10 wins in a month from those tools. Heck easily pick up wins from desktop vs phone play.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
18 Jun 2018 12:43 #275688 by jeb
There was a book about playing MtG competively years ago by Jamie Wakefield that lines up well with my experiences. He's credited with the "Better lucky than good" phrase because he had some outsized success with bad decks (he played Green when it was the worst color, by any metric. We'd label him a Timmy now.) One item I remember from it though was his mistake die. He used some d10s to track his life total, but he had another die there to track his mistakes. As he made or realized mistakes made over the course of the match, he would increment it. So even if he got demolished (green), he had another game going, which was not making as many mistakes as last match.

I broke HS this AM, playing a Monster Hunt with Toki. I juiced my deck with a pile of Deck of Wonders, the opponent made a bunch of Deathrattle creatures. Deck of Wonders played a DOOM! and off the DOOM! I drew a Primordial Glyph and it lost its mind. Everything is purple and shimmering from the DOOM! animation but nothing is dying, the glyph is hovering in "being cast" space, and my hand his half full, like, the left half. Sucks.

More
18 Jun 2018 13:47 #275697 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Yeah, Jamie was pretty cool when he was in the game. He was mostly about big creatures and started with Black, playing discard and Sengir Vampires at the first pro tour. Then he moved to Green, naturally, since that was the color of big-ass creatures. I remember his account from the first pro event that used Mercadian Masques, because that was a set that Mark Rosewater had specifically geared toward the "fun" competitive players like Jamie and it gave Green a lot of competitive cards (Natural Affinity, otherwise known as Living Mana in HS) and other cards that really enabled the "big creature" approach.

Problem was, they also printed Rebels in MM, which was the utterly dominant deck in every way because of the ease of getting a horde of weenies out, their durability, and the ability to recycle them with Lin Sivvi (search your deck for Rebel cards like the rest of them could AND put Rebels from your graveyard on the bottom of your library.) So, Jamie played Rebels like the vast majority of the field. The rest of it was some color of control deck trying vainly to deal with hordes that could resurrect themselves. Rosewater was furious with him, but later acknowledged that the dev team had screwed up.

More
19 Jun 2018 13:12 #275758 by jeb
Playing Inner Fire Priest, up against a Frostlich, which is not a good matchup. She can legit kill my huge-butted dudes with all the Meteors and Voodoo Dolls and what not. This one is a little weird, because it's ODD Frostlich, so no Meteor, but they still kill my guys. They have finally switch over to Lich form and commenced beating me down. I have one card left, no minions left to cast; they have 30 life, 12 Armor, and I used a Divine Favor on their lone Water Elemental last turn, making it a 3/12.

Shadow Madness, Divine Favor #2, Divine Favor #3 (Shadow Visions), Inner Fire, attack for 48.

More
20 Jun 2018 04:26 #275791 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Hearthstone Players!
I took to playing Token Druid and it worked well for me. Went on a massive four-rank win streak. It was ended by an absolutely shitty Druid build I've never seen before. It has massive armour buffs and card draw down to almost zero, then swaps decks with King Togwaggle and - crucially - uses another legendary to get a copy of his spell. So when you swap back, he swaps again and you have no counter and die from fatigue.

Decks like that can just burn in the filthy bowels of hell. The only reason to play them is to piss people off.

More
20 Jun 2018 09:42 #275804 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
Togwaggle Druid has, indeed, been a thing for the past few weeks. It's highly annoying like pretty much all fatigue builds.

More
20 Jun 2018 09:54 #275807 by Matt Thrower

Jackwraith wrote: Togwaggle Druid has, indeed, been a thing for the past few weeks. It's highly annoying like pretty much all fatigue builds.

Yeah. I actually kind of wish Fatigue wasn't a thing. As though having no card draw wasn't crippling enough, you need to add extra punishment on top. I appreciate that it's there as a final stopgap to prevent some freak combination of cards resulting in a game that might last forever, but you'd have thought a (generous) timer or just relying on basic human boredom would work better than Fatigue.

Although I suppose that actually wouldn't fix some fatigue builds. You'd still lose to Toggwaggle, for example.

More
20 Jun 2018 10:48 - 20 Jun 2018 12:59 #275814 by jeb
Matt, you are like an innocent babe, wandering the wood; looking for some tempo swings and minion combat and getting devoured by four card combos and 60+ Armor.

I am trying to beat Monster Hunt. Nailed down Tess and Houndmaster, having secured Cannoneer earlier. So it's just me and Toki. I make it rounds 6, 7, 8 every time. Take Magical Friends, take a Legends pile if it's got something good in it. Take Robe of the Magi and that spell duping thing to deal TWELVE with Arcane Missiles. But it's not enough. Face Collector has wrecked me with incredibly sad luck (he got a Greater Healing Potion from my Spellslinger to save him, and then used his Sylvanas to kill my craftily damaged 12/5 Yshaarj... who'd pulled a fresh 10/10 Y'Shaarj with his dying breath. FRRUUUCCKDKFKEflkdfnslkdfgslkdg

Lost to The Loving Souls or whatever they are called when I drew NO spells and couldn't kill their early Brann, who duped Feldori Striders TWICE. Ugh, so wrecked. That they got Silver Sword and I got Molten Blade off a Timetwisted Blingtron did not help.
Last edit: 20 Jun 2018 12:59 by jeb.

More
20 Jun 2018 16:20 - 20 Jun 2018 16:34 #275857 by MacDirk Diggler
ITogwaggle Druid was a flash after expansion dropped. Then a week later there was Warlock version with summoning portal. Cifka made too 10 legend in EU about a week ago playing nothing but Togwaggle.

It sucks if it catches you by surprise. You need to keep you hand size small so they can’t double naturalize and fill your hand so you overdraw the ransom. You need to run ooze in case they are twig. I know about it and was desperately trying to play around Maly Druid when that was hot deck with twig. Me as quest priest. Then togawggle overdraw got me.

It’s not broken. I have played the decks and there are lots of decks that beat it easily. Big minions and wide boards can be trouble. Shudderwock etc. The thing is. ... token Druid should be hugely favored against it. You get wide wisps with soul of forest on them. Play out buffs and it’s game over. Token Druid is as broken if not moreso than Togwaggle. Only psychic scream, defile, warpath and vanish can beat it. And you can build more boards if they do.
Against Druid you wisp to bait out their Plague, trade into it and play your own plague and buff it.

The meta is as vast as it’s ever been. Most classes have at least 2 good builds you face on ladder. You see all the classes is rare. But with that comes there are more win conditions than ever. Fighting for board with dudes and trying to grind your opponent down is in a rough place. Lots of aoe. Life gain. Combo decks. Now more than ever you know whether you lost right after you mulligan and see if you are against aggro or control and guessed wrong
Last edit: 20 Jun 2018 16:34 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Jackwraith

More
20 Jun 2018 18:38 #275866 by jeb
I agree with this sentiment. The Standard meta is wiiiiide and it puts me out of my comfort zone. I really like to nail down a deck and just drive it. Right before the rotation I took Beast Hunter from Rank 16 to Rank 4 with tons of win streaks. It was a good metagame call and I could play it well. Since the rotation it's been a mishmosh of this and that trying to find something that works. And nothing seems to work! I just got back to Rank 10 plateau like 20 minutes ago with a streak on Quest Priest, which is the most annoying deck in the world. But I've played Aggro Mage, Recruit Hunter, Even Warlock (badly), Inner Fire Priest, Fatigue Druid &c in the last few days. I always feel a couple steps behind. I had to jump out to Wild (where I played Rogue) and Monster Hunt to get my head in order.

There was a thread on Reddit yesterday about how no one knows the secret recipe for the witch's brew on the Witchwood stage. There's something to poke at as we keep at it. ;)

More
21 Jun 2018 05:05 #275886 by Matt Thrower

MacDirk Diggler wrote: It’s not broken. I have played the decks and there are lots of decks that beat it easily. Big minions and wide boards can be trouble. Shudderwock etc. The thing is. ... token Druid should be hugely favored against it. You get wide wisps with soul of forest on them. Play out buffs and it’s game over. Token Druid is as broken if not moreso than Togwaggle.

I didn't say it was broken. Fatigue decks rarely are. What they are is tiresome and unfun and played largely for the owner's amusement at knowing they're pissing off their opponent.

In terms of the match, I got unlucky. He drew both his Spreading Plagues early and then, after the deck swap, one of mine. I just couldn't batter through that wall.

I like the unpredictability of the current meta. It keeps things fresh.

More
21 Jun 2018 13:08 - 21 Jun 2018 13:13 #275935 by jeb
I am playing Miracle Rogue in Wild, it's fun and games are quick. Ran into a Barnes Priest who high-rolled the nuuuuts.
Turn 4: Barnes into Yshaarj into Yshaarj! I killed Lil Yshaarj and Barnes.
Turn 5: Big Yshaarj gets The Lich King! I killed the Lich King.
Turn 6: Yshaarj gets something, I can't recall. Mostly I recall taking 20 from him. I kill Yshaarj and whatever he fetched. I start building a board.
Turn 7: He blows up the board with Dragonfire Potion, I start building a board
Turn 8: Ragnaros! He kills my stealthy Gadgetzan. I make an 8/8 Van Cleef and another weenie to protect, Rag on my face area.
Turn 9: Obsidian Statue! Make another minion, Van Cleef kills the statue, Statue kills some fodder, Rag kills Van Cleef
Turn 10: Another Statue! I drew a Preparation. GG.

Still. That's about as solid a draw as they can get and I killed most of it. They were at 26, so who cares, I feel this was a moral victory.
Last edit: 21 Jun 2018 13:13 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
24 Jun 2018 00:37 - 24 Jun 2018 02:31 #276092 by MacDirk Diggler
So like I said in my last post, I have been stuck rank 5 all month. I made it to 5.5 so many times and got so frustrated trying to break out of my glass cage. This morning I was at 5:2 and perused some twitch with my breakfast as I often do. I came upon Cifka playing Togwaggle at around rank 100 legend. He was winning games without optimal switcheroo. Like just naturalizing something onboard and playing Azalina mid game to get rogues hand. And then beating them with it.

This inspired me and I made the deck. I have screwed around with Toggy in casual as a diversion but never really tied to climb with it. So far it’s working out. Went something like 8-3 with it today. 2 losses to paladin which is very tough matchup. It shreds all mages and all warriors. I beat Hadronox Druid and he got off a hadronox and cubed resummon another. Druid cards are so good you can beat decks without any swap at all. Tempo mage has no chance at all. I also beat spell hunter with just Druid cards. One game I lost was kinda funny and huge misplay by me. Playing shudderwock shaman I was living the dream as I went for early swap to deny him ever drawing his Shudderwock and that worked out. But in the swapping he got my Azalina. I was way ahead with like 30armor and he had a few cards left from my deck when I drew his shudderwock. I realized that when his deck ran empty it would dawn on him to Azalina and hope I was holding shudderwock. So I played Shudderwock in order to prevent that from ever happening. And guess what happens next? Togwaggle battlecry and I give him his deck back and get a couple of cards left from his deck (my original). Then I die in fatigue.

Anyhow ramping like crazy and drawing lots of cards is fun. I would feel bad if I was playing this deck at rank 20 but rank 5 and below it’s a mans game. I realize it’s no fun to lose half your deck, but my need to win games is more important last few days of the season. I am rank 4..... Woooo!!!!!

EDiT to add: Right after posting this went 3-0. Taunt warrior concedes early. Saw what I was up to, knew the matchup, knew it was waste of time????? Can’t blame him. I am undefeated taunt warrior and count that as auto win. Then Cubelock makes 4mountain giants with cube. I kill them all without naturalize. Seems like he is playing around overdraw so I get a very late twig online to swap. He missteps and I naturalize him to overdraw ransom. Two turns later I break the twig and Azalina and play a voidlord that turn and get Guldan in his hand. Last one was zoolock. He has me on the ropes bursting me down to 5 health. I got an early Malfurion and he helps me stabilize. Mid game I play plague into his weak board of weenies. He kills a couple. I double branching paths to give 5 1/5 guys +4 attack and kill him with plague dudes. Now rank 3!!!!!!! Woooooooooooooooooooo!

This deck is nuts.
Last edit: 24 Jun 2018 02:31 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith

More
03 Jul 2018 23:53 - 03 Jul 2018 23:57 #276847 by MacDirk Diggler
OTogwaggle took me as high as 2.3. It’s a hard deck to play well. I screwed my share of games up

But I have a new deck to tell you about that wins AND is fun. Elemental Shudderwock. Saw Zalae playing on Saturday and thought it looked like a good time. I believe he was inspired to build this by his friend Ike making top 40l legend with straight up Tempowock. This one runs Keleseth, spare spells, and loads of Elementals. Zalae had 2x MC tech and 2x StoneSentinel But usually there isn’t much onboard to MC and I don’t have the second Stone Senitinel which isn’t even that good. So ooze helps beat Maly Druid and Vinecleaver. It does well against most everything but Miracle Rogue. Need to get all your Hexes on time for Thugs and Edwin. Thrall doesn’t see much play in Witchwood, but value trading and evolving is still disgusting. Shudderwock only is some nice value and won’t win the game with Thall there is chance it only turns itself into an 8/8. But you can play it before you draw the entitre deck, you know when it’s time. I climbed from 6-4 w 80% winrate so far.

### Zalae
# Class: Shaman
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Fire Fly
# 1x (2) Prince Keleseth
# 1x (3) Gluttonous Ooze
# 2x (3)Lightning Storm
# 1x (3) Mind Control Tech
# 2x (3) Nightmare Amalgam
# 2x (3) Tar Creeper
# 1x (3) Zola the Gorgon
# 2x (4) Fire Plume Phoenix
# 2x (4) Hex
# 1x (4) Sandbinder
# 2x (4) Saronite Chain Gang
# 2x (4) Tol'vir Stoneshaper
# 2x (5) Servant of Kalimos
# 1x (5) Thrall, Deathseer
# 2x (6) Fire Elemental
# 1x (7) Stone Sentinel
# 1x (8) Hagatha the Witch
# 1x (8) Kalimos, Primal Lord
# 1x (9) Shudderwock
#
AAECAaoICt4FnMEC88IC08UC688CnOICw+oCp+4CnvAC7/cCCr0B9QT+BZnCAqzCAuvCAsLDAsrDApvLAt6CAwA=
#

Some other new decks that win, Odd rogue with void ripper and deathspeaker for sweet value trades and board control. Healzoolock. Tempo out happy ghoul with voodoo doctor. Also runs lightwarden. Murloc Priest! Someone made top 50legend with tempo priest. I know it’s real because I lost to it the one time I saw it.

Next expansion drops in 5 weeks.
Last edit: 03 Jul 2018 23:57 by MacDirk Diggler.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.584 seconds