October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Hearthstone Players!

More
04 Jul 2018 13:53 #276880 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Hearthstone Players!
I haven't played in a couple weeks, since I had a friend who decided to bash through a D3 season (double treasure goblins) and I started playing that in my limited gaming time. I remember seeing a couple Murloc Priest things, but they didn't seem very successful. What's the Tempo Priest look like?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jul 2018 18:46 #277209 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Hearthstone Players!
I haven't seen any Tempo Priest worth talking about around Rank 13. If they play turn 2 Shadow Ascendant I treat them like Big Spell Priest and it's usually correct. Maybe there's something cooking up there at Rank 2 that's better.

I have been 55%ing with Recruit Hunter and Inner Fire Priest this season. Sloooooowly climbing. I am playing well, and have come up with some cool plays to stave off death or score a sneaky win here and there. Couple of idiotic mistakes too, but hey, that's me. Most of my losses come down to:
  • Did Even Warlock find both Giants early?
  • Did Odd Paladin find Level Up?
  • Did the opponent play Rogue?
Not really set up to handle Rogue, honestly. Druid can be tricky. Token Druid usually rolls me as Priest and I usually blast them as Hunter unless they get the nuts on ramp. Taunt Druid.... sigh. I need to get crafty there. Usually some big set up with Mass Dispel and the combo powered by Radiant Elemental. I hit for 80 recently. That was nice.

I have been playing a more Controlly Shudderwock too, that Asmo was driving a few weeks ago. It's out of date for the meta, but it's so fun I keep going back to that well.

New set in five weeks, you say? I should have ~8,000 gold by then. Nice.

More
12 Jul 2018 18:40 - 12 Jul 2018 18:44 #277423 by MacDirk Diggler
New set on been teased. I try to not be gloom and doom but what little i see is troubling. I do t like mechs. Gobs v Mechs was back when I was not sure Hearthstone was a game I wanted to play. The magnetic keyword means you need to have minion on board to use it. So it’s a win more mechanic... as in... person ahead on board should snowball the game. The card that has everyone in a tizzy is the Give both players 2 more mana crystals. Druid will be insane. But I hope expansion is better than it looks.

Real reason I am here is to talk Hadronox. I have messed with the original deck that runs witching hour and cubes to know it’s limitations. It’s not that good, It’s slow.., you don’t win most games until some witching hour shit on turn 25. The cubes and witching hour can be dead cards for most of game. The cheaper taunts don’t apply much pressure. Most of time you revive Golem and it can’t attack you have no armor. Mage Shaman Warrior give you beasts that ruin the witching hour.

This Brokeheart deck solves most of that Bright eyed scouts can accelerate you doing degenerate things. Scout on 4 into Oakheart you play on 5. Pull. Drakkari enchanter, dragon Hatcher, Ysera, Sleepy dragon. It’s the most broken thing you can do in HS at the moment. This deck has Malfurion and 2x Plague for added Defense vs aggro. What I like most about the deck is I can queue into anything and feel like I have decent chance. That’s saying a lot in this meta. It’s way faster against control than the other one. You want to get lots of dragons out with Oakheart and usually not pull Hadronox unlike the other version that wants to Oakheart Hadronox. The sprites and scouts cleverly fill the 3 attack slot on Oakheart most times. I am climbing with it and had a friend craft Ysera to make his and he is 10-1at rank 15 with it. I climbed from 5 to 3 last night, had two games I Oakheart on 5. Worst matchup maybe miracle rogue.. but they need to be on point with their saps and vilespines . It’s a Zalae build
### Broke-heart
# Class: Druid
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Raven
#
# 2x (1) Lesser Jasper Spellstone
# 2x (1) Naturalize
# 2x (2) Wild Growth
# 1x (3) Drakkari Enchanter
# 2x (3) Greedy Sprite
# 2x (4) Branching Paths
# 2x (4) Bright-Eyed Scout
# 2x (4) Swipe
# 2x (5) Nourish
# 2x (6) Spreading Plague
# 1x (7) Malfurion the Pestilent
# 2x (8) Primordial Drake
# 1x (8) The Lich King
# 2x (9) Dragonhatcher
# 1x (9) Hadronox
# 1x (9) Master Oakheart
# 2x (9) Sleepy Dragon
# 1x (9) Ysera
#
AAECAZICBqIJws4CmdMCr9MC/eEC8eoCDEBf6QHkCIjBAsnHAqDNApjSAp7SAubTAvnmAt3rAgA=
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
Last edit: 12 Jul 2018 18:44 by MacDirk Diggler.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
13 Jul 2018 14:21 #277469 by jeb
This is one of those Druid decks I hate. Druid's "theme" of having more mana, cards, armor, and Taunts than every other Hero is pretty obnoxious. The "downside" of struggling, a liiiiiiiittle, with the board is not enough of a trade-off. That Druid of the Claw is unplayable right now is a big tell, because that card is fucking good. Power to you! It's a good deck and will win tons, but my blood boils.

Hypocritically, I opened a (golllllddddennnnn) Prophet Velen from this week's Brawl and immediately built Velen + Malygos and have been nuking folks with 40 dmg in Mind Blasts. I am probably causing mental health issues out there. I apologize.

More
19 Jul 2018 11:07 #277902 by Matt Thrower
Replied by Matt Thrower on topic Hearthstone Players!
Shaping up to be my worst season ever. Not moved a single rank all month.

Hadronox Druid can go die in a fucking fire.

More
19 Jul 2018 11:52 - 19 Jul 2018 11:55 #277903 by jeb
All right Matt, let's get you rolling. I will try to help you advance, and we'll do it without sweating those Taunty assholes. If you want to hate on them, we can check the meta to see how things are going: hsreplay.net/archetypes/148/big-druid#tab=matchups

(The deck is called "Big Druid," but this is the Hadronox build right now). We see its worst matchups are (generically) Rogue and Mage, i.e., Aggro to Aggro/Tempo builds. It wins a long game, so you should focus on making the game short. I am not sure of your collection, but you should be able to compile the cards for decent builds of:
  • Tempo Mage (minus Aluneth I am guessing? That's how I play too)
  • Tempo Rogue (minus Leeroy? I also lack Leeroy. This deck "needs" a lot of Epics too)
  • Zoolock
...and aren't you a Paladin guy? Do you have Genn Greymane and/or the Murloc package (2x Warleader, 2x Gentle Megasaur)?

We have about ten days left, so now is when climbing gets easier. (I have streaked from R10 to R8 this AM). The other thing you should start doing is conceding when you can't come back. I have played enough Tempo Mage to literally just do math and figure out if I can win or not. I can end a lot of games early (even at like 25+ life) because I can't win from that point out (usually some massive recovery by Priest, Warlock, or, yes, Druid).

Talk to me about what you have and what you want to do.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2018 11:55 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Matt Thrower

More
20 Jul 2018 04:14 #277948 by Matt Thrower

jeb wrote: All right Matt, let's get you rolling. I will try to help you advance, and we'll do it without sweating those Taunty assholes. If you want to hate on them, we can check the meta to see how things are going

Appreciate the offer but really, I ought to be able to look after myself. I used to be a rank 10 player before the new system and I've got the cards to build pretty much any deck I want.

Partly I'm where I am because of bad luck and partly because I don't play enough and partly because I keep switching decks around to try new stuff out to write about.

I've run Odd Rogue for a while, and I lost a slew of games almost entirely on bad draws (not pulling 1-drops, etc) but it soured me on the deck. Paladin is my favourite class and I do well with Odd Paladin but it's a predictable, repetitive deck and I've got gold with the class so I'm hoping to spread it round.

I can't seem to get on with either of the Warlock variants doing the rounds at the moment and I'm not sure why. Incompetence, I'm guessing. So I've mostly been plugging Token Druid which did well for me last season and which I enjoy playing. That's where Hadronox becomes such a pain. It's not that I've been seeing too much of it, more that the games are dull, boring and the win chance is near zero.

More
20 Jul 2018 07:30 #277950 by Matt Thrower
Switched back to Odd Rogue just for speed and my win streak was ended by ... Hadronox Druid :D

More
20 Jul 2018 15:49 #277996 by jeb
HAHA, that's great. I was explaining this to my son, that even though he's HEAVILY favored to win certain matchups, that means he still loses 4 out of every 10 of them. You cannot beat The Nut Draw. Sometimes they have every card, exactly when they need it and there is not a thing you can do to win that game.

I can beat Even Warlock. I would say I am actually favored. BUT I NEED THEM TO NOT GET BOTH MOUNTAIN GIANTS OUT BY TURN 5. That's all I ask. But sometimes they do and that's it. I'm fucked. I can't beat that draw. If Druid just Ramps into Ramp, draws 30 Armor correctly, or plays Lich King on turn 6 or whatever--I'm done. They don't do it every game, but they did it this game and that sucks for me and my streak and all that good stuff. Oh well. I know I have been letting some folks down out there in similar ways. (Mind Blast for 30 today. Holy Smite for 48 the other day.)

I am playing this version of Resurrect Priest:
1@ Blinding Heal
2@ Holy Smite
2@ Power Word: Shield
2@ Mind Blast
2@ Shadow Visions
1@ Shadow Word: Pain
2@ Spirit Lash
2@ Wild Pyromancer
2@ Acolyte of Pain
1@ Shadow Word: Death
1@ Vivid Nightmare
2@ Eternal Servitude
1@ Mass Dispel
1@ Holy Nova
2@ Shadow Essence
2@ Lesser Diamond Spellstone
L@ Prophet Velen
2@ Psychic Scream
L@ Malygos

Only four kinds of creatures. A lot of these decks are running Loot Hoarders, Bloodmage Thalnos to cycle faster, but those can make Spellstone/Servitude bad. I really want to get back Maly + Velen off my Greater Spellstones. Them on the board + Mind Blast + Holy Smite hits for 34 at 10 mana. A lot of these builds also run Shadowreaper Anduin, and that's probably worth exploring, but I am chugging without it. I may be benefiting from opponents THINKING I have it and not overextending big-attack minions into it.

I have been iffy on Blinding Heal, but turn 8 Velen into 10 life has saved me a few times. Or giving a Vivid Nightmare back to decent Health. My toughest matchups are:
  • Odd Rogue: Their burst is so good they can get 15 from their hand pretty often and I can only handle that once at most. They also pollute my rez effects with Leeroy whelps.
  • Tempo Mage: Too much damage too fast and Counterspells are ruinous.
  • Shudderwock Shaman: If they disrupt the deck with Hex. These games take forever, but that's only because I need to work so hard to play around Hex on Malygos or Velen. See also Elemental Mage with Polymorph.

More
01 Aug 2018 15:58 - 01 Aug 2018 18:29 #278911 by jeb
Made it to Rank 7 last month (in Standard, and 10 I think in Wild.) So I started at like 11.4 and just needed a couple wins to plateau to Rank 10 again for this season. Made it in four games, two as Combo Priest (Inner Fire), then two as Even Warlock. Lost as Priest to a weird Tempo Warrior deck that was really airy and light until turn 8 when The Lich King showed up, dropped off his Anti-Magic Shell and buffed the whole universe. Black Knight was in there? It was a little weird. I rolled a Shudderwock Shaman as Priest and then beat two Tempo Priests in a row as Warlock for R10.

New set comes out on the 8th. It's mechs and blah-de-blah, we'll spend time talking about it later. But this card is the most amazing thing from a new player perspective:

Instead of building a decklist, you just put Whizbang in it and when you start a game you play one of the 18 pre-constructed deck recipes the game always has. These are updated from time to time and by-and-large are pretty decent. I am delighted by this from a design perspective. It is genius. Building a collection is hard, and cool Legendaries are even harder to get. But if you have Whizbang, you can get a tuned deck chock-a-block with cool shit! There's a Warrior one right now with Grommash, Rotface, and the Death Knight. I can't build that deck and I've been playing for years. My son will be crafting this in GOLDEN form to get access to the all-golden versions of the decks, which even gives you a Golden Coin if you go second. He is into the bling and they could not make a more perfect card for him.

Newer players used to play Prince Malchezaar to get this kind of access, but this is so much better. I hope Blizzard realizes what they have here and makes it an automatic addition to anyone's collection. Hell, if they were smart they'd figure out a way for folks to buy and gift this.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2018 18:29 by jeb.

More
01 Aug 2018 17:42 #278924 by Jackwraith
And, uh, as you've probably noticed, I am off the game right now. Uba said that HS articles weren't really what the site needed and I didn't log in to the game at all in July except to watch Jeb play a game. I've seen the cards for Boomsday and there are a few interesting things there, but I find myself mostly interested in playing Paladin and the Paladin cards are pretty meh. I see some fun stuff in Shaman and it's clear that they're trying to bend Warlock away from Handlock and back toward Demon Zoo decks, so that might be interesting. But, overall, I'm still pretty low key about the whole thing.

More
01 Aug 2018 22:01 - 01 Aug 2018 23:14 #278964 by Jackwraith
Since I was thinking about it, this was my initial idea for Midrange Mech Paladin (Control Paladin will still not be viable): www.hearthpwn.com/decks/1148912-mech

The deck is supposed to emphasize the Magnetic trait, which both enables you to contest boards with buffed minions and hopefully bring them back as something juicy with Kangor's in the late game.

Glow-tron is obvious, since it's an even better Dire Mole in a Mech deck.
Skaterbot is questionable, because you'd like to play it most often as a buff, rather than itself, because it's counter-intuitive to Kangor's. However, I think the early Rush ability AND the ability to add it to something larger in the midgame is useful.
Loot Hoarder is there as a general draw minion and target for CtA, but could be swapped out.
Upgradeable Framebot is a 2-cost (CtA and curve), a Magnetic target, and a Void Ripper target.
Aldor is Aldor. Have to stop aggro Beast decks or Mountain Giants somehow.
Bronze Gatekeeper is similar to Framebot, but even better, since it's a Taunt and Magnetic.
I'd like to have two Void Rippers. Still thinking. Regardless, it's amazing with all the fat asses in the deck.
Annoy-o-Module is another board contester, Magnetic, and still a decent Void Ripper target.
Truesilver is Truesilver, but in a deck like this, Maul might be better. Still, it's better removal and a little healing.
Coppertail Impostor is a potential finisher, since you can Magnetize him in a big way while your opponent can't touch him.
Call to Arms has 8 targets in the deck, 6 of which are Mechs.
Mechano-Egg is a Magnetic target, is anti-removal, and potentially a finisher with Void Ripper.
Wargear replaces BoK and is also a 5/5 minion.
Zilliax is quite the (ahem) tool.
Tarim will be in every Paladin deck in existence (except Odd) until he rotates out.
Val'anyr might actually work here, but might be one weapon too many. However, it has great use even on the eggs and Skaterbots.
Kangor's Endless Army is obvious. The important thing will be timing, since it's best played after as many Magnetics have come down as possible.
Silver Sword is great in a minion deck, but like Val'anyr, might be removable.

Edit: And, now that I think of it, I'm betting I'd rather replace Val'anyr with the second Void Ripper. Poor Val. Just way too situational.
Last edit: 01 Aug 2018 23:14 by Jackwraith.

More
03 Aug 2018 10:35 - 03 Aug 2018 10:51 #279094 by MacDirk Diggler
Double post
Last edit: 03 Aug 2018 10:51 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
03 Aug 2018 10:45 - 03 Aug 2018 10:47 #279095 by MacDirk Diggler
Last night I went to my local west LA Fireside Gathering in Microsoft store at Century City mall. It feels a little weird because I am old enough to be most of the other participants father. But I have a fiercely competitive heart and a thirst to crush n00bs, so I went anyway. There were roughly a dozen people. Average age 30? 2 women. I was the highest ranked player there, though one guy was a regular Hearthstone streamer, 40-50 hrs a week he says. He also said he never been higher than rank 14:

So I won out undefeated through the winners bracket We played best 2/3: I played quest priest, shudderwock and my big Druid. All those decks need to be killed quickly. I have to admit I drew very well with big Druid. The deck is probably the most draw dependent deck going at the moment. You need the ramp early. You need to not draw the dragon Hatcher’s before Oakheart. I faced evenlock, hospital Zoolock, controlock, Cubelock, odd rogue, and a guy who played well, had a really nice tempo rush warrior deck. He was who I faced in final of winner bracket, and he nearly got my quest priest. Finals I had to play the streamer guy who had won out in loser bracket and had played Hospital zoo and Cubelock last time I faced him. I was feeling a little bored and complacent so I decided it might be interesting to queue Hospital Zoo into his. And that is exactly what happened but I drew like crap and never had the board. So I went back to big Druid and quest priest and won the tourney. So I am now the Hearthstone champion of west LA for a couple of weeks. Haha.

For my efforts I got the digital Nemsy warlock hero card. Won a raffle and got a magnetic board looks like hearthstone screen w 9 heroes you can mix and match in the 2 spots HS go on the actual game board. That peaked window shape.... Champion prize was a giant gamer mouse pad and $10 gift card to the store.... where nothing costs $10. I gave the mousepad to the streamer. His screen name is Ratchet and he streams at night. Probably have to scroll waaaaaaay down to find him.

Oh and the highlight was my quest priest vs his Cubelock he used faceless on the dragon that deathrattles a random dragon to hand. He got Emeriss and had Voidlords in hand. He said that was the most interesting game of hearthstone he had ever played, which can’t be true. But I beat him because he did not draw Skull, I made him Guldan early with board pressure, I shadow visioned for Mind Control and held it for Voidlords, screamed off cubes containing Giants.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2018 10:47 by MacDirk Diggler.

More
08 Aug 2018 23:36 #279512 by Jackwraith
OK. So these are the decks I've been messing around with since yesterday. I haven't had the chance to play very much, but I got in some games with the Mech Paladin list I posted and it just completely failed. So I switched to more of a control version using not only the Kangor spell but Kangor and went 4-0. This was probably the best game:

hsreplay.net/replay/8ypxmNptB2Jy99Cnp4mziZ

Then I tried a Demonzoo for a couple games. My Nethersouls were kind of underwhelming because I didn't user Crystallizer and I didn't have either Haemonculus or Imp in hand to follow a Life Tap. I'm not sold on that guy. I didn't have any really interesting interactions with the new cards except one use of Soularium, which was really nice for Zoo, as you'd expect. Went 2-1.

Switched to a Bloodlust variation with Electra, Explodinator, Giggling, and Storm Chaser to fetch the Bloodlusts (and be another good target for Earthen Might.) Won two quick ones against Paladin and a gold Rogue who was extremely efficient at removing as many of my guys as he could, but taking damage the whole time...

Then tonight I got in one game of a Priest Inner Fire version with Test Subject, Extra Arms, Elixir, Framebot, and Zerek. That was kind of a fun game because the guy double Soul Infused, Analysted, and Demonfired a Doomguard (12/14) and hit me with it. I killed him the next turn with a Framebot and a Test Subject (Extra Arms and More Arms.)

Anyway, the new cards are cool. I think the meta is still very diverse. I'm definitely going to play that control Paladin list most often, since that's my all-time favorite archetype, but there's certainly many things to try.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.660 seconds