October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about collectible card here.

Alternate game formats for Star Wars minis

More
11 Jan 2008 19:05 #379 by jhuntin1
Other than your standard 100, 150, or 200-point games, what are some other formats for playing SW minis that people have played. I have played Fantastic Four, and I am familiar with Dynamic Duo, but I am curious about other variants people have heard of.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jan 2008 19:43 #381 by joebelanger
I really enjoy playing SW Miniature Battles (WEG) with my SW minis. The rules are more comprehensive, IMO.

More
11 Jan 2008 19:50 #386 by Michael Barnes
Back at my store, we had like every figure out of every set in sort of a community pool. By far, the favored format was "Peewee Battles", you couldn't have anything over 10 pts in your army but you did 100 (or more) points...this one guy had like 40 Stormtroopers in one game, it was nuts. Power Droids, Ewoks, all those who-the-hell-is-this bounty hunters...they all saw play.

More
11 Jan 2008 20:51 #396 by username
We have played Star Wars Minis quite extensively in my group and one of the things I learned from our old Heroclix days to prolong the enjoyment of a waning CMG is to shake up the format a lot.

We experimented with various house rules such as modifying the Gambit scenario (For those not familiar with Gambit, the format for most every tournament game, players score a set number of points (5) every turn they have a model within four squares of the center at the end of the round, both players may earn the bonus)so that there are two additional gambit areas on both sides of the map directly out from center. The main point behind it being that On most of the maps the sides areas hold the most interesting layouts, and if you only play gambit for too long you never use the sides anymore. Putting in two more gambit zones and makign each worth 3 points brought the sides back into play.

We also played a few weeks of Utinni format. In Utinni format players build the worst possible team and then when they play they switch with their opponent. Each piece must have a damage value(min10) and no more than 2 of any given figure. Minimum 3 pieces, maximum 12 pieces at 100 points. This format went through a couple of evolutions in our group as at first the teams actually had a few good pieces on them(I actually brought a grenade guy the first week for my opponent to use against me), but after a few weeks the teams grew progressively worse. Also, we soon had to ban Jabba the Hutt as he was so bad everyone started to use him. It was a lot of fun and not something I would do long term, but a welcome change of pace.

Over on the Wizards of the Coast boards they were experimenting with Tiles wars, where you bring a team and choose one of the larger tiles from the first starter or the Ultimate missions books and you fight a whole battle between two full teams in that confined space. We called it Cagefighting and only started the cagefighting team evolutions when WoW pretty much ruined our Star Wars group. More details of the tile wars format can be found with a quick google search.

We played some various other scenarios copied from other games and settings but I trust you can cook up "capture the flag" and such on your own.

More
19 Feb 2008 01:00 #2949 by mikoyan
A couple weeks ago, we played one where you could pick two Jedi. Everyone duked it out. When your first Jedi was killed, you could bring the other out. Next week, we are playing a scenario where you pick a team for your opponent. Should be interesting.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.334 seconds