October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Video of Richard Hamblem

More
11 Aug 2013 04:13 #158282 by ubarose
Unfortunately it was so noisy his voice didn't pick up. It gets a bit better towards the end.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, NeonPeon, Gary Sax, Sagrilarus, Hex Sinister, mikecl

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2013 07:33 #158284 by Dr. Mabuse
Damn, it would be great to get him on a FATcast!

More
11 Aug 2013 16:36 #158288 by MattFantastic

Dr. Mabuse wrote: Damn, it would be great to get him on a FATcast!

We tried and failed. Maybe he'll be back next year and up for it. We can do it in the afternoon or whatever even. And I won't let Josh talk and offend him.

More
12 Aug 2013 15:28 - 12 Aug 2013 15:29 #158343 by mikecl
Replied by mikecl on topic Re: Video of Richard Hamblem
Wow!!! Newsflash here. A careful listen shows Hamblen is working on a redesign of Magic Realm. Will it ever be published? He obviously doesn't care. He started out designing games for himself and his gaming group and for the last few years (after regaining my memory and ability) has been designing again.

Have a listen:

Hamblen: I always tried to make the games as good as I could, because I like good games myself.
Q: Do you still play games at all?

Hamblen: I do all the time.

Q: What sort of games do you play?

Hamblen: Ones that I'm designing

Q: The current ones you're designing?

Hamblen: The current ones I'm designing. About two to three years ago I started regaining my memory and ability to deal with....( interrupted by well wishers). Fuck off well wishers!!!! Don't you know this is an extremely rare Hamblen interview?!!! :-p

Hamblen: ...and since then I've been reopening old game projects...such as Magic Realm. I don't like the way Magic Realm turned out. It was too fast in the wrong way for my own satisfaction. I'm redeveloping it the way it should have been developed in the first place including the extra 20 tiles which were worked out and were supposed to be added to it.

I started out as a hobbyist....as a member of the game hobby and I would make games for groups. And none of them were ever supposed to be published. Talks about different designers here....

And one of them was Tom Wham. And I went down to see him and play a new game he'd just made. And so we played it and I said, this is great! I had developed a game. Came back the next day and said want to play my game? And he said hey that looks interesting and so we competed in doing games.

By the time I came back down to Baltimore...you know after the recession of '75 I was coming up here and going to the Keatonsville group which is a group in the suburb of Baltimore. And I'd bring a suitcase and I'd have three to four games that we could play. This is what I did. And I would go to Avalon Hill and play Avalon hill games and mabye one of the other games but we really didn't want to be playing non Avalon Hill games and that's how I got the job at Avalon Hill.

@Uba: thanks for this! Do you know where and when this was recorded?
Last edit: 12 Aug 2013 15:29 by mikecl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Sagrilarus, VonTush, DukeofChutney

More
12 Aug 2013 16:56 #158359 by MattFantastic

mikecl wrote: @Uba: thanks for this! Do you know where and when this was recorded?

WBC 2013, so last week in beautiful Lancaster PA.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mikecl

More
12 Aug 2013 19:17 #158382 by DukeofChutney
Thanks for this vid Uba, and the transcript Mikecl. I would like to see some more Hamblin games. I have a memory of possibly Don Greenwood, or someone from AH saying on a war gaming podcast that Hamblin was the most inventive, and fastest creator of games he had ever come across, sometimes producing a game in a weekend that was unlike anything he'd seen before.

More
12 Aug 2013 20:03 - 12 Aug 2013 20:03 #158395 by Gary Sax
Awesome info. This fits with our previous information---Magic Realm is supposedly one cut of this huge game that Hamblen made for himself, but they wouldn't let him release the whole thing. Like, for example, there is a whole dwarven realm, characters, etc. So at one point there were tons of expansions he had designed/planned.

Regardless of games coming out, etc, it's just good to hear that he's doing well.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2013 20:03 by Gary Sax.

More
12 Aug 2013 21:16 #158405 by NeonPeon

Gary Sax wrote: Awesome info. This fits with our previous information---Magic Realm is supposedly one cut of this huge game that Hamblen made for himself, but they wouldn't let him release the whole thing. Like, for example, there is a whole dwarven realm, characters, etc. So at one point there were tons of expansions he had designed/planned.

Regardless of games coming out, etc, it's just good to hear that he's doing well.

Great to hear from him and it's exciting to hear that he's looking at Magic Realm again...But I wonder what he means by the game being "too fast in the wrong way..."

More
12 Aug 2013 21:43 #158407 by ubarose
This was an impromptu F:AT interview that we did at WBC last week. We didn't have all the podcast equipment with us with us, so I had to capture it on my iPad.

And thanks for the transcription.

More
12 Aug 2013 22:15 - 12 Aug 2013 22:18 #158411 by mikecl

DukeofChutney wrote: Thanks for this vid Uba, and the transcript Mikecl. I would like to see some more Hamblin games. I have a memory of possibly Don Greenwood, or someone from AH saying on a war gaming podcast that Hamblin was the most inventive, and fastest creator of games he had ever come across, sometimes producing a game in a weekend that was unlike anything he'd seen before.

The audio is terrible as Uba points out so it may just be a transcription error but I remember him commenting elsewhere that Magic Realm was "rushed." This is quite a comment from someone who delivered one of the most complex games of its (or any other) time. It leaves me with the impression he wants to add even more.

I remember first reading about it in the General (Avalon Hill games publication) and the company was almost apologetic at the game's complexity which at the time was rated a 9 out of 10. I think that Avalon Hill just put the hammer down and told Richard, STOP....deliver it now. Gawd knows what he would have put together given the time.

Maybe we're going to find out!

Edit: I see Schweig! beat me to it. That's along the same lines as what I heard Schweig so that's probably it.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2013 22:18 by mikecl.

More
12 Aug 2013 22:16 #158412 by Schweig!

NeonPeon wrote: Great to hear from him and it's exciting to hear that he's looking at Magic Realm again...But I wonder what he means by the game being "too fast in the wrong way..."

I think what he meant is that Magic Realm in the hands of Avalon Hill (read: Don Greenwood) developed too quickly in a way he didn't like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: NeonPeon

More
12 Aug 2013 22:17 #158413 by mikecl

ubarose wrote: This was an impromptu F:AT interview that we did at WBC last week. We didn't have all the podcast equipment with us with us, so I had to capture it on my iPad.

And thanks for the transcription.

yw Uba. I took the liberty of putting it up on the Geek with credit to Fortress Ameritrash and yourself ie: "This video was originally posted on Fortress Ameritrash by co-founder Uba Rose."
Not sure if you're a co-founder Shellie but close enough. I figured the publicity couldn't hurt either.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds