October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Trashfest Roundup

More
11 Nov 2013 02:06 - 11 Nov 2013 02:10 #164896 by Jason Lutes
Replied by Jason Lutes on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
The only problem with Trashfest Northeast was that between the 2-hour drive each way and only having Saturday free, I could only stay for 8 hours. I would have loved to stay longer, in order to hang more with the folks I already know and to get to know the folks I don't know better. Next time I would like to figure out a way to stay overnight and make it a two-day thing.

Huge thanks to repoman and his awesome mate for making it all happen. It was great to see Shellie and Al and Dan and Matt and Josh and Dave again, and great to meet some other FATties for the first time. I wish I lived a lot closer to the Nexus of Awesome that is Vernon, CT. Special thanks to Matt, Brendan, Jeff (Geoff?), and Greg for taking 5 hours out of their Saturday to playtest my game.

Here's to Trashcon 2014!

the_jake_1973 wrote: Any update on when Thrilling Tales will be available for general consumption?

It's not there yet. Some really great constructive feedback coupled with positive reactions to the core gameplay gave me a clear way forward, but there is more work to do. I will be taking a little break and then it'll be on to prototype #17.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2013 02:10 by Jason Lutes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Dr. Mabuse, repoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2013 02:58 #164901 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
Thank you repoman for setting this up and to your wife for her wonderful cooking/catering. I'm glad I got to meet a bunch of FATties and others. This may be due to running on 2 hours sleep thus not being fully cognizant most of the day, but everyone seemed really cool. I wish I could have gamed with everybody at least once, but that's not how these things ever work out. Maybe next time...

More
11 Nov 2013 03:05 #164903 by Octavian
Replied by Octavian on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
I second the thanks to Jeff for setting this up and for having your wife cater! Those cajun shrimp are the stuff of legend!

Friday and Saturday were great. Hopefully next year I won't have to bow out early.

More
11 Nov 2013 06:45 - 11 Nov 2013 06:46 #164911 by Not_Jeff
Replied by Not_Jeff on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
I had a great time. The food Sunday was amazing. Thanks for organizing everything and I can't wait play more games with everyone again soon.

Some other stuff played: we played like 4 games of firefly, lots of loopin louie (stand down I'm the champ), shogun with the cube tower...and other people played other stuff.
Last edit: 11 Nov 2013 06:46 by Not_Jeff.

More
11 Nov 2013 09:58 #164912 by daveroswell
Replied by daveroswell on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
I'm hoping I can save enough money to start being able to go to these types of things again. Looks like a blast, and Billy Z playing a non TI3 game? Dammit! :)

More
11 Nov 2013 10:38 #164916 by Schweig!
Replied by Schweig! on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
One big group photo for such a con should be mandatory.

Also I notice a weird temperature-discrepancy: why are some people playing in thick clothing while Loter is wearing a wife-beater?

If I don't get into art school next year I will travel to the USA instead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
11 Nov 2013 13:35 - 11 Nov 2013 13:38 #164921 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
Some additional photos:

King Put claimed he separated the saucer in an attempt to save the women and children but I suspect he just broke the mini

Saul, the Most Interesting Man in Gaming, gives an in depth analysis of a players latest move. "I think I would have maximized the claw output rather than the Energon harvest, were I you."

Two Shoguns enter...one Shogun leaves! Hint: It was not my Shogun who walked away

The one and only Uba Rose prepares to implement her master plan.

Engineer Al gets defends the city in Legendary
Last edit: 11 Nov 2013 13:38 by repoman.

More
11 Nov 2013 15:12 #164934 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
I was very cold on Legendary the first time I played it, and I still say the art direction was poorly executed, but after playing it with a different group I absolutely loved it.

I think it can be a very group dependent game. I suspect that the more interested you are in comics and the less interested you are in optimization, the more you'll enjoy it.

Plus, we played the Punisher deck v. Kingpin when we played last and I was white-hot in love with it. Punisher is like Batman, but he isn't concerned with "capture". The way it should be.

More
11 Nov 2013 15:55 - 11 Nov 2013 16:15 #164938 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
Did a Trashfest write-up on my blog , but here it is with the explanatory part chopped out:

Trashfest Northeast 2013

On Saturday I went to Trashfest Northeast 2013, an all-day gaming ruckus down in Vernon, CT.

Trashfest was organized by F:AT user "repoman" (this name is important) as it turns out a lot of the F:AT folks are in this general area. It was 30 minutes from my home and I would get to meet a bunch of new folks; I couldn't <i>not</i> go.

As you know, my friends and I always look forward to and enjoy Unity Games. When I go there the goal is usually to try as many new (to me) games as I can. With Trashfest there were some new games I wanted to check out, but I was more interested in meeting new folks, and it didn't matter what we played too much.

I started the day with Ascending Empires, a game I already love. I played this with repoman himself (whose name is actually Jeff), Chris, and Saul. Jeff had a gorgeous plexiglass custom board for this and it was awesome. It was hilarious because the other game going on this early was High Frontier, a long, complex, scientifically accurate space exploration simulation, whose owner also had created a custom board for, which was enormous. On their table they were calculating thrust and figuring out water expenses; we were flicking our spaceships at each other and researching space battleships.

More folks showed up and other game started, so when we finished Ascending Empires, everyone else was already into something. No problem, the same four of us then played City of Remnants, which I had brought and was glad to get to play. I'd bought it based on the review of one of the F:AT guys and it had gotten one play where it fell kind of flat. Unfortunately, it fell flat with two of the guys from the folks I play with whom it had the best chance, and was actually on the sales block. But I thought there must be something to it, so I wanted to try it out. It went better this time, and everyone, including me, seemed to enjoy it. The game is sloppy and rough-edged, but it has a charm to it that I think brings it together (though I'm still baffled by that damn chart.) I'm glad to have gotten another play out of it, though I'm still not sure if it will get table time again.

My friend Chris W. showed up then and he and I played some Crokinole (by as much as I could remember of the rules). Then he and I, along with Bernie, Chris, and Seth played Kemet, which would be the only new boardgame I'd play. It's a type of "dudes on a map" boardgame that I'm usually not that good at, but I held my own in this. (I won, but only because Bernie and Chris W. were pounding on each other and I managed to keep my head down and sneak in between them.) Kemet isn't a game I'm looking to won, but I'd definitely be up for playing again.

By this point my allergies were acting up and I was tired, but wanted to last until closing. I offered to teach The New Era/Winter to Chris W. and Chris, and didn't do a great job explaining it, which I usually do fairly well. That's a shame because I am a huge fan of the game and don't want anyone to be put off by it just because I taught it poorly.

After that it was time to leave. As with any big game event, I didn't play nearly as much as I wanted to. I got to see a lot of things being played, like Firefly: The Board Game (which I'm curious about), Sekigahara, Dark, Darker, Darkest, and Jason Lutes' incredible-looking prototype, Thrilling Tales of Adventure. More importantly I met a bunch of great new folks, though again, not as many as I would have liked to (I'd like to have done more than just say, "Hey, I'm Dave").

As I headed out to my car I reached for my keys and couldn't find them. I realized that I had locked them in the car earlier when I went out to grab something. It was now close to midnight and I had no idea what I was going to do. Fortunately, remember how I said that Jeff's F:AT username was "repoman"? That's because he's a for-real repo man. I called him and incoherently babbled my situation and once he figured out who I was and what was my deal he sent his guys out to open up my car for me. I am HUGELY grateful for that.

But I'm also thankful to Jeff for organizing this whole thing. It took place in a swank-ass Elk's Lodge with a bar and everything. His wife cooked a incredible spread of food for us. Every single person I met and saw was friendly and fun, despite the reputation of Ameritrashers for being a bunch of boorish louts who are just jealous that they can't adequately impress the Provost.

I had a great time, and if there's another Trashfest Northeast, I am already down for it.

(Uba, I swiped some of your pics for my blog post, hope that's okay!)
Last edit: 11 Nov 2013 16:15 by Legomancer.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jason Lutes

More
11 Nov 2013 16:14 #164940 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
swag:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, engineer Al

More
11 Nov 2013 16:26 #164941 by Malygris
Replied by Malygris on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
It sounds like it was a lot of fun. I hope someone will organize a Trashfest Midwest someday.

More
11 Nov 2013 17:12 #164945 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
Why isn't everyone talking about BillyZ's Kool-Aid Man t-shirt?!

Man, I gotta get outta SoCal. Everyone is so far.

File Attachment:

More
11 Nov 2013 17:30 #164946 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
I may be moving to L.A. so at least one of us F:ATties will be down there to hang with you occasionally.

Sadly, it's me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
11 Nov 2013 19:18 #164961 by Trisha Loter
Replied by Trisha Loter on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
Gaming highlights for me were playing Firefly and Crokinole. The company all around was unbeatable as well.

More
11 Nov 2013 20:46 #164970 by MattFantastic
Replied by MattFantastic on topic Re: Trashfest Roundup
Some random thoughts...

Playing my awesome new prototype for the first time (it went surprisingly really really well and I have new tweaks already) Trish yelled at Billy Z so hard he fell out of his seat.

Firefly is really good.

Don't let Josh near your chickens. Unless you're Loopin Jeff, then maybe you'll be alright.

Voice swapping Miss Cleo and Buonocore is pretty much the best idea ever. Buonocore selling for Frank is also awesome.

Thrilling Tales of Adventure is someday going to be a monster hit. It's getting damn close. I keep trying to convince Jason to let PPG publish it cause I like it so much.

We only ordered 60 tacos at a time. They told us to call ahead.

The Boy thinks he knows the words to a lot of songs he totally doesn't.

I wasted very little of my time playing games, instead I maximised my hang outs.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.297 seconds