October 09, 2023
2295 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

TrashFest Mid-Atlantic, May 2nd through 5th, 2014

More
03 May 2014 06:31 #177329 by repoman
And here I thought I was the only man alive who liked Bolide.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2014 11:19 #177339 by Sagrilarus
Fleet Captains this morning as the Klingons, all four attack attempts switched off by "cancel" cards in the Federation deck. Didn't get to fire my weapons once. Seems like a good game with one ugly problem.

S.

More
03 May 2014 16:57 - 03 May 2014 18:19 #177348 by Sagrilarus
Kicked ass at Richard III, with dice just magically coming back for me from Quebec, then a win at Maria as well. Doing quite well capturing contested thrones today.

S.

A Study in Emerald . . . one to miss.
Last edit: 03 May 2014 18:19 by Sagrilarus.

More
04 May 2014 01:04 #177361 by Sagrilarus
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective -- A must purchase for me now. We played one scenario and it was a great time.

S.

More
05 May 2014 06:00 #177408 by jgriff
I have apparently angered the dice (and card draw) gods. I must sacrifice a newt or something. I played some great games for the first time - Fleet Captains w/ Romulans, Maria, and Richard III. Some great games again that I haven't played for a while like Merchants of Venus, Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, & Buffy. I even found a mint copy of Quandary for $15 at a local store. Oh yeah, and an 18 player game of Atmosfear. That was ..... something.

Good times. But no brown liquor Struggle of Empires..... that needs to be fixed next time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
05 May 2014 12:48 #177438 by wkover
Glad to hear about all the wargaming.

In my parallel universe (Game Days, happening at the same time in MD) I played both Napoleon's Triumph and Guns of Gettysburg. NT went the whole distance, with me winning as the Allies after 4 hours - and not due to morale. (First time I've ever had a non-morale win, I think.)

I played GoG just to learn the rules - a friendly gamer had it already set up and invited me to play - and we made it through 1/3 to 1/2 of the game (Day 1 of 3) in 3.5 hours. Good game, but complicated and long. I will probably end up stickering my copy, but we'll see if it ever gets played.

More
05 May 2014 14:11 #177446 by Sagrilarus
We landed on Game Days last year, adjusted a week later this year, and landed on it again. Can't win.

More
06 May 2014 12:44 - 06 May 2014 12:45 #177525 by Sagrilarus
Final tally for the weekend:

Coup 2 games
Crokinole 2 games
PitchCar 2 games
Atmosfear: The DVD Board Game 1 game (18 players!)
Boomtown 1 game
Buffy the Vampire Slayer 1 game
BSG Express 1 game
Maria 1 game
Merchant of Venus 1 game
Mississippi Queen 1 game
Mousquetaires du Roy 1 game
Quebec 1759 1 game
Richard III: The Wars of the Roses 1 game
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective 1 game
Star Trek: Fleet Captains 1 game
A Study in Emerald 1 game
Le Havre 1 game
Last edit: 06 May 2014 12:45 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, jgriff, Dr. Mabuse, wkover, Hatchling

More
06 May 2014 14:14 #177534 by Gary Sax
That's a lonely game of Le Havre!

More
06 May 2014 16:31 #177553 by iguanaDitty

Sagrilarus wrote: Final tally for the weekend:

Le Havre 1 game

I leave and the place goes to hell.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sagrilarus

More
07 May 2014 05:29 #177591 by jgriff
Apparently, I played alot of games with Sag:

Coup: 5 games (no dice, do well)
LOTR Confrontation: 4 games (no dice, do well)
Quandary: 3 games (no dice do well)
Pitchcar: 2 games (no dice do well)
Atmosfear (the 18 player experience): 1 game (there is no well)
Betrayal at House on the Hill: 1 game (win as the haunt, even with dice involved, wow)
Boomtown: 1 game (lose as usual but blow up alot of stuff)
Buffy: 1 game (dice involved, Faith destroyed on Turn 1....oh yeah)
BSG Express: 1 game. (while there are no rules for sympathesizers, we still had one)
Fist of Dragonstones: 1 game
Maria: 1 game. (no dice but card luck is ugly)
Merchants of Venus: 1 game. (dice again....but melf pelts make it better)
Mousequeteries du Roi: 1 game. (dice but its hard to lose as Milady)
Richard III: 1 game (worst dice of them all)
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective (The Case of the Tin Soldier): 1 game (no dice but Sherlock soundly thumps us)
Star Trek Fleet Captains: 1 game (6 player is too much but Romulans are sneaky and evil so I do okay with them)
Study in Emerald: 1 game (too many new players as a teaching game. Doesn't come off in the best light)
We Didn't Playtest This Legacies: Too Many (there's a game here?)

More
08 May 2014 22:26 #177716 by Sagrilarus

Gary Sax wrote: That's a lonely game of Le Havre!

Indeed it was! As I was making my list it dawned on me that it was the only economy I had built all weekend. I like the game, but it felt like I was going back to a prior job, doing work I used to do. Not a bad thing, but just a curious feeling.

iguanaDitty wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote: Final tally for the weekend:

Le Havre 1 game

I leave and the place goes to hell.

My buddy Stephen has been trying to get in a complete game and Sunday night we went to it, just two players while the other remaining players went after something else too uninteresting to remember. I cracked open the bourbon I had brought and sipped at two fingers' worth, then before refilling took a quick scent of the scotch first, and the bourbon was done. I moved over to the scotch for the rest of the game. Shellie's a lovely young girl, but she's wrong about liquor. The Macallan 10 in spite of being less developed just has this great peppery sting to it that's perfect for someone like me who drinks two drops at a time. Just enough to touch the tongue, squeeze it to the roof of the mouth and feel the flavor develop. I got just toasted enough to enjoy the evening and managed to stay there on the edge for the remainder of the night. Granted I'd rather have been killing Frenchmen than employing them, but Le Havre set a leisurely pace and we finished it with two good machines running, Stephen's better than mine late in the game. You don't hurry on Sunday night. No particular need.

S.

More
08 May 2014 23:30 #177717 by Gary Sax
Ha, yeah, no insult, I like engine building games myself, it was just a funny outlier.

More
09 May 2014 09:51 #177731 by iguanaDitty
Sounds like the liquor was the true draw, and the game was something you happened to be doing :)

More
09 May 2014 10:04 #177734 by Sagrilarus
I can't say that's the case, because the liquor sits on the shelf 24/7 at home and I don't reach for it. I think it was more about the moment, things were quieter, and the rush-rush of trying to get 100 games in in one weekend was past. I think another game would have sufficed as well if that's what you're considering. But Le Havre was fun.

Two-player Le Havre is pretty open. Virtually no blocking, so you go after what you want and see what you can do to make it work. I'd be curious to see if it holds up with three or four players where you do a lot more sitting and where there's more likelihood of interfering with each other. I could see how it would be very programmatic if you played it frequently, but I haven't, so it was a good play. I've now wrung out the "beef strategy", may go for the "ship strategy" next time. That's where euros fall flat for me, in the channeling, but for the first few plays that really doesn't matter.

S.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds