October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

WBC 2015

More
14 Aug 2015 07:36 #208499 by KingPut
Replied by KingPut on topic WBC 2015

Gary Sax wrote: Nice, excited to hear more about the GCACW game. Need to buy a copy of the reprint of the first one before it goes out of print again.

The GCotACW is nice small tournament. It's averaged almost 20 people per year. 2012 was it's low point at 10 people. I think this year there was 24. Ed and the other GMs do real good job running the tournament and they're super nice to new players or people new to the tournament. When you show up for a heat the counters were all organized so set up was pretty easy. The tournament always runs on Wednesday because Here I Stand and Virgin Queen runs Sunday - Tuesday.

WEDNESDAY Swiss Elimination Qualifying Day
Demo Learn the mechanics of the system from some of the best players. Try out a brief scenario: "Crossing Chickamauga Creek" from Battle Above the Clouds. This will then be the game in the first tournament round. Any new player can request to play round #1 with one of the expert players to learn the game better.

Round 1: Crossing Chickamauga Creek (BAC #2), [Alternate: Jackson's March (SJW II #4)]
Round 2: Bag the Whole Crowd (SJW II #6), [Alternate: McLemore's Cove (BAC #1)]
Round 3: Battle of Chickamauga (BAC #3), [Alternate: McDowell's Opportunity (AGA #3).

THURSDAY - SATURDAY Elimination Rounds
Quarterfinal: Sheridan Rides South (GTC #5)
Semifinal: McLemore's Cove (BAC #1)]
Final: The Battle of the Wilderness (GTC #1)

This year the 2 finalist played straight through on Thursday and finished up the Wilderness at 4:00 AM Friday morning.

In 2014, I made it to the elimination round after going undefeated in the heats. I lost a very close game in the elimination round so I ended up in 5th place. This year I was only planning on playing the first round.

Round 1, I bid Union but then played the Confederates because my opponent gave me a 1 point handicap as the Confederates in Crossing Chickamauga Creek. I tested the left flank and pinned some union troops, sent Forrest Calvary in to scare the right flank then sent everything I had right through the weak union middle. I managed to get one strong unit to take an objective hex while all my other units were exhausted 1-2 spaces from the objective. This is about when Dutch came walking by and saw my huge stack of exhausted confederate troops 1 or 2 spaces from the objective space. The Union player had 2 chances to force me from the objective space but at stupid odds. His units were attacking with 4 MP against 10 MP and I had the better leader and artillery. He failed on the first roll but made the crazy (6 vs. 1) roll to force my retreat from the objective space which was a 12 point swing in the game.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Msample, Dutch

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2015 09:10 - 14 Aug 2015 09:29 #208502 by jgriff
Replied by jgriff on topic WBC 2015
This was the first year that I was able to attend the pre-con. However, they moved War of the Ring out of the pre-con. So, I was left playing Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage. It's probably a Top 10 game for me but I quickly learned that while I enjoy a game of it, I don't really want to play it back-to-back, much less 5 times over 2 days. So I played 3 games (Once a day is about my threshold) and then blew off the official events to play games with VudoJoie and G Bubb's. Some early games of Twilight Struggle, 13 Days,, and Study in Emerald set a great starting point for the con. I really like 13 Days but trying to teach it at midnight with a few beers in everyone wasn't the way to teach it.

On Monday, we started it early with Struggle of Booze but once again, no one listens when I tell them KingPut is winning. Always a good game and quickly becoming one of my must-plays during a convention. I played alot of Cheeky Monkey and that's never a bad thing. The best "new to me" game was probably Forbidden Stars even as I quickly learned that it's got a brutal learning curve. After my kid showed up, I didn't really play in alot of tournaments, just the TI3 first heat but the rain in the basement sort of ruined the ambiance of the Host.

My biggest surprise is that kid joined the adult games this year and had a blast. He also played alot of Junior tourneys and I can say the kids playing Heroscape may have had more fun that any of us.

My biggest disappointment is that we never got to play BigWilly's awesome version of Dune. He threatened to bring Rex and I threatened to beat him senseless Amish-style. My only other disappointment was sitting out Fief (I had to feed my kid, it was a noble ideal). It's one of the few games that I can be as brutally shady as need be. Oh yeah, and Homeland just failed at what it intends to do. It has good ideas but it sucks as a hidden team game.

** Must say that without Sag, Struggle of Booze was significantly less classy. I may just bring Schlitz or something next time.
Last edit: 14 Aug 2015 09:29 by jgriff.

More
14 Aug 2015 09:35 #208505 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic WBC 2015
Battle of the Wilderness is one of the best, I can see why it's in the GCACW final.

More
14 Aug 2015 11:13 #208520 by Msample
Replied by Msample on topic WBC 2015

jgriff wrote: This was the first year that I was able to attend the pre-con. However, they moved War of the Ring out of the pre-con.

That was a bummer. I asked the GM and he said he hoped to boost attendance by moving it later in the week. However, a game with 4-5 hour rounds ( games can and often do finish sooner ) that late in the week can often have conflicts. I spaced and missed the Mulligan round on Monday AM but played a game on Friday night that saw my poor Shadow opponent go the final seven turns rolling ZERO Eye results. So he was unable to teleport Nazgul and only play events via Palantir dice. Lost my next game Saturday AM, then stuck around to play as an eliminator the next round. So three games in a little under 24 hours, better than I thought I'd get . Did learn some tricks I had not seen before.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds