October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

I NEED WRITERS!

More
20 Mar 2018 19:19 #266055 by Michael Barnes
We've had a couple of our content writers slow way the hell down at the Review Corner over on MiniatureMarket.com. Plus we had Nate Owens betray us to go on a mission in the Philippines. How dare he. Peter C. Ruth II is too busy shopping for fur coats and ostentatious sunglasses so that he can hob nob with Steve Avery and his game designer ilk to turn in more than a couple of reviews a quarter. So I need writers. It could be you or someone you know. Requirements:

- A BRIEF bio sheet describing gaming experience, genre specializations, and anything I might find interesting.
- At least two full samples of work, preferably reviews of current games but I will also look at video game reviews, editorials or other critical pieces. Published work (which does not include anything posted to BGG or a personal blog) is preferred.
- Professional or semi-professional experience writing in a freelance or contracted setting greatly preferred.
- Ability to produce at least two 750+ word reviews a month with photos, with comped games requiring a two week turnaround (with some exceptions).
- Strong, solid opinions- we do not run rules recaps or summaries.

This is a 1099 gig- this means that Miniature Market reports what they pay you to the IRS. The upshot is that you can write off game purchases to some extent.

Pay is not tremendous but it's something- $20 per article, invoiced at the end of the month. You will also be eligible to receive review copies from Miniature Market at my discretion and you may request titles from publishers to be reviewed at Review Corner, also at my discretion.

It's a fun, fairly easy job and if you are already writing about games and it's good...why not get paid for it? There is no obligation or expectation to provide good reviews and we are free to produce the content as we see fit- Miniature Market gives us plenty of leeway and trusts our judgement, there are no restrictions or censure as long as what we give them is fair and well-reasoned.

PM me contact info for anyone interested in trying out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Black Barney, Frohike, Gregarius, GorillaGrody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Mar 2018 22:01 - 20 Mar 2018 22:02 #266061 by jeb
Replied by jeb on topic I NEED WRITERS!

- A BRIEF bio sheet describing gaming experience, genre specializations, and anything I might find interesting.

i liek the boob and bomb
Last edit: 20 Mar 2018 22:02 by jeb.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Black Barney, Colorcrayons, engineer Al

More
20 Mar 2018 22:33 #266063 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic I NEED WRITERS!
Now that is a vintage F:AT joke right there!
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
20 Mar 2018 23:38 #266065 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic I NEED WRITERS!
Does reading this essay every couple years make one qualified?

How to write good
The following user(s) said Thank You: dysjunct, Frohike

More
21 Mar 2018 10:42 #266072 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic I NEED WRITERS!
It's worth mentioning that Peter C Ruth II doesn't buy games anymore, and would be happy to write as often as Mr. Barnes would like, gratis, if Mr. Barnes would supply the content to write about.

More
21 Mar 2018 10:45 #266073 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic I NEED WRITERS!
Hey buddy, you're getting a copy of Legion here pretty soon. Maybe I will send you Lignum, that sounds like the kind of thing you would enjoy.

Wait..."Lignum" is some kind of sex thing, right?

More
21 Mar 2018 11:28 #266083 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: Hey buddy, you're getting a copy of Legion here pretty soon. Maybe I will send you Lignum, that sounds like the kind of thing you would enjoy.

Wait..."Lignum" is some kind of sex thing, right?

In related news, Mr. Ruth will be getting dentures just to play that game... *in southern drawl* Playin' that thar game is like suckin' on a peach!

More
21 Mar 2018 11:30 #266084 by SuperflyPete
You know what they should do at MM?

They should send their writers the high dollar games and include a return shipping label, have the writer sign the inside of the box after review, and return them. That way they get more reviews out and get to preserve most of their margins by selling them at a discount but "BONUS" it's signed!
The following user(s) said Thank You: southernman

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds