October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Canada!

More
13 Apr 2018 15:42 #267497 by cdennett

Black Barney wrote: Also, i haven't seen you mention it yet but how are you planning on moving here? It's not like moving to another State. You need lots of stuff to be allowed to move here.

This has been my question as I've been reading this thread. Immigration into Canada is apparently quite tough. From a board gaming angle, Paul Dean from Shut Up and Sit Down got kicked out of Canada after living there a year or so (I guess they decided to not renew his Visa) and is now wandering aimlessly through the United States without a home.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Jexik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2018 16:18 #267499 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Canada!
I love Halifax, and the rural surrounding areas in Nova Scotia as well. Beautiful country and good people.

I live in Saskatchewan. Nothing to see/do here.

More
13 Apr 2018 16:22 #267500 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Canada!
Yeah Nova Scotia is gorgeous. I’d like to retire there. It’s where my family started 150 years ago, seems like a nice place to finish up

Bfkiller, you wear a jersey yesterday?

More
13 Apr 2018 19:15 #267509 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Canada!

bfkiller wrote:

You can't fool me. Every episode of Corner Gas has something interesting going on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, ChristopherMD, Jexik

More
13 Apr 2018 19:32 - 13 Apr 2018 19:33 #267511 by Jexik

cdennett wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Also, i haven't seen you mention it yet but how are you planning on moving here? It's not like moving to another State. You need lots of stuff to be allowed to move here.

This has been my question as I've been reading this thread. Immigration into Canada is apparently quite tough. From a board gaming angle, Paul Dean from Shut Up and Sit Down got kicked out of Canada after living there a year or so (I guess they decided to not renew his Visa) and is now wandering aimlessly through the United States without a home.

Yeah. Great question and part of the reason for this thread. I've lived my whole life in Illinois, and the only other two countries I've visited were Mexico and Germany, neither of which really felt that foreign to me at all. (Being the only white person on buses on the South Side felt more foreign, ha). I just thought of it today. It probably won't be a for a couple years honestly, but I really like the idea of a road trip. My wife is a nurse, currently working child psych and is sure to get great recommendations, so I'd think that a work visa for her would be reasonable to get in a lot of places.

Sagrilarus wrote:

bfkiller wrote:

You can't fool me. Every episode of Corner Gas has something interesting going on.

Thanks for reminding me of the name of that show. BRB, listening to BNL.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2018 19:33 by Jexik.

More
13 Apr 2018 19:43 #267513 by Black Barney
My sister is a child psych in Ottawa. She’s got her own practice and stuff. That’s cool that your wife works in that
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jexik

More
13 Apr 2018 21:21 - 13 Apr 2018 22:39 #267514 by Jexik

Black Barney wrote: My sister is a child psych in Ottawa. She’s got her own practice and stuff. That’s cool that your wife works in that

Yeah, it's a stressful gig, but she loves it most of the time. I did aftercare for a school district for over a decade, so dealing with almost any number of relatively normal children is comparatively easy for us.

I didn't read this whole long post until now because I was running errands all day.

Black Barney wrote: Jexik, you don't need a passport to travel by car to Canada. Check on the customs website to see what kind of document you need. Passports are only required for air travel.

Good to know!

Overall, we like the idea of learning French. We've wanted a 3rd language to speak so we can be unintelligible at ALL family gatherings. German and Japanese topped the list before, but if we moved to Quebec that would settle it.

I wouldn't say Toronto is like Detroit, it's not that bad at all. It's more like NYC except without almost all of the upside. Like a baby NYC. I'm not crazy about it. Jinx's post is perfect the way he talks about it.

But does it still have the downside? I know like three people who had their first exposure to public masturbation on NYC subways. I went to Queens with my then-GF when I was 22 and LOVED it. But I don't know that I'd want to live there, especially with the kid and the dog. (Just realized I left it off my list, probably for good reason).

Honestly Hamburg was the city we've both liked the best. She loves NOLA too, but I can't comment yet. She would like a warm place, but I always remind her that means there will be bigger spiders. My dad is 12 years older than his parents were when they died, so Hamburg is kinda out of the question at this point in time, and I imagine harder to move to than Canada!

Mad Dog wrote: My vote is for Boston, MA. I know at least one cool guy there you could play games with.

I'm no fun to play games with. I spend way too much energy dissecting the game and trying to win, but I actually want to lose and see a new strategy that I haven't considered. I like AT games because randomness is unpredictable and creates a more nuanced decision tree, while Euros are dead boring even if (perhaps especially if) I win. If this guy is willing to put up with me being quiet and then later telling him that I had a great time, tell him when I tell you that I'm visiting Boston some day. :D

BaronDonut wrote: Boy, it's been a minute since I've heard a Christian ska reference, and while I'd generally prefer to keep it that way, this kicked up some dust on the old memory farm. Saw these guys at Warped Tour approximately one million years ago. Pretty sure 80% of the audience was wearing checkered Vans slip-ons. What a time to be alive.

HAHA! I never really liked them, but I had a friend who loved them. Dude got into punk/ska because of Rancid's Ruby Soho video and had an 8" green mohawk. Somehow that led to him finding "the right" crowd. I distinctly remember hearing "Dandelions" in a halloween express in the mall, and my 14 year old friend totally tried to hit on the cashier with the opener, "whoa, is that five iron?" That's probably my favorite song of theirs to be honest. Dude is a hardcore atheist now. Back in '99 I was more likely to gel my hair DOWN and try to have no one talk to me.

Most Christian Ska belongs in a special level of limbo, imo. I was more of an MxPx guy in high school lol.

Punk Rawk show was a fun track too, but there's no jesus in it.

This song is better than a lot of modern praise music I think though...

Especially if you stop around 2:12. Comparing god's love to a mom's is a cool metaphor.

But when I do go to my dad's church, I prefer the old school hymns that you gotta open the books for.

Okay, back to Canada. In a week or so I'll have a better idea whether or not I'll be buying a house this year around here.

Last edit: 13 Apr 2018 22:39 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, BaronDonut

More
14 Apr 2018 12:51 #267533 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Canada!

Black Barney wrote: Bfkiller, you wear a jersey yesterday?

I meant to wear my Edmonton Oilers jersey but slept in a bit and then completely forgot.

You can't escape the Humboldt Broncos tragedy here. It is pretty much the only thing anybody has talked about the past 8 days.

More
14 Apr 2018 22:41 #267562 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Canada!

bfkiller wrote:

Black Barney wrote: Bfkiller, you wear a jersey yesterday?

I meant to wear my Edmonton Oilers jersey but slept in a bit and then completely forgot.

You can't escape the Humboldt Broncos tragedy here. It is pretty much the only thing anybody has talked about the past 8 days.

It's still in the news here in Maryland.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Black Barney

More
14 Apr 2018 22:52 #267563 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Canada!
If I wrote a list of the cities I’ve been to it would implode the forum software.

Suffice it to say that the most objectively awesome cities in the continent are as follows:

Montreal: It is the crown jewel of the world, even despite the language barrier.

Austin: Best for families; great for singles or party couples. Best live music scene in the world.

San Diego: Literally perfect weather, and the people are far less douchey than the California average, which is staggeringly high.

Golden, CO: Fantastic outdoors scene, college town with a small town feel, great live music, great bars, environmentally very green.

Now Portland is awesome if you want to have grumpy people surround you. The wealthy there are effete and the poor are angry. The weather is fucking horrible. I’ve lived there. Would not want to again.

Seattle is fucking expensive. Weather is colder but less miserable than Oregon. People are like Californians in their sense of moral superiority to the rest of the nation. Still, lots of good people and the liberal streak makes them attempt to be nice despite their revulsion of anyone who is not them.

If I had to move anywhere, and I’m considering it, I would move to Colorado. It’s one of the more liberal center states, one of the youngest populations, and median home prices are not incredibly high, although higher than the national average. Science has shown that less oxygen in the air provides a slight decrease in cancers and lengthens life, so bonus. Cannabis is legal, which is also a huge bonus because pot tax pays for a lot of things. The people are insular, a bit, but on average have a sense of community.

I love where I live, but my best friend lives in Colorado now, and I miss him fiercely. My liver disagrees, but my heart wants to go.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, Black Barney

More
15 Apr 2018 20:09 #267589 by SaMoKo
Replied by SaMoKo on topic Canada!
Toronto is pretty shit, but the food and entertainment are great. It's mostly the idiots that pull the city down, along with the horrid traffic and ghastly appearance. Picture a city about the size of Chigaco with 1.5 highways running east/west and 1.5 running north/south. Congestion hell. In Ontario, I'd say spend a day or two in TO, then most of your time in Algonquin park or something.

Montreal is fantastic. Good people, good food, and don't sweat the language barrier. Unless you venture towards the beautiful Quebec City. There you do not exist if you speak English.

Vancouver and the surrounding areas are some of the most beautiful places on earth. Check out the Island. Just meander through it to Tofino.

Halifax is a great and underappreciated city. Not particularly exciting, but it hides a fun nightlife, great people, and some beautiful scenery.

More
15 Apr 2018 21:51 - 15 Apr 2018 21:52 #267596 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Canada!

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Now Portland is awesome if you want to have grumpy people surround you. The wealthy there are effete and the poor are angry. The weather is fucking horrible. I’ve lived there. Would not want to again.

Seattle is fucking expensive. Weather is colder but less miserable than Oregon. People are like Californians in their sense of moral superiority to the rest of the nation. Still, lots of good people and the liberal streak makes them attempt to be nice despite their revulsion of anyone who is not them.

I lived in Portland from 1993-6, and met my wife there the first day I arrived from Utah in my crappy little Ford. This was back when La Bistro Montage was a cool new tiny restaurant, before they moved it into a warehouse. Back then, the area around Powell's Books was all industrial, and now it is black turtleneck and craft beer territory. When we visit my wife's family I see some of the same people working at Powell's and other places, but they are turning grey, as am I. It's weirdly stagnant and too expensive now, and arguably Old Weird Portland died after they aired the first episode of Portlandia. It's one thing to be a cool, weird city but it's another to be smugly self-righteous about it. Apologies to everyone who lives there, it's still got some great stuff. Maybe I'm just mourning my youth. Nostalgia is a pernicious form of cultural conservativism.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2018 21:52 by Cranberries.

More
15 Apr 2018 23:21 - 15 Apr 2018 23:24 #267599 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Canada!

SuperflyTNT wrote: Now Portland is awesome if you want to have grumpy people surround you. The wealthy there are effete and the poor are angry. The weather is fucking horrible. I’ve lived there. Would not want to again.

I have heard this comment from everyone I know who has been/lived there. Also heard that it is surprisingly racist.

I really like where I currently live (flagstaff) but it definitely carries that strong feeling that it was about 100x cooler when it was a lot smaller and the rich people (I include myself!) hadn't driven prices the roof, particularly housing.

To your point, central Colorado would be pretty great, it's just tough to get out of the 2nd house set if you're too close to Denver/Ft Collins.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2018 23:24 by Gary Sax.

More
07 May 2018 14:52 - 07 May 2018 14:56 #272823 by Jexik
Replied by Jexik on topic Canada!
Jexik fam (wife and 7 yo kid) Canada trip is happening. Early August 2018.

House we put a bid on around here failed its inspection miserably, so we're going to lease for another year while we improve our credit and income situation further. We softened the blow on the young one by going forward with the idea of an international road trip. It's starting by us hitting up GenCon for one day (probably the Thursday) in Indianapolis at the start of august and then driving around in some kind of a figure eight/inifinite sign to hit up toronto, columbus, niagara, and montreal. We've got plans to hit museums and hike and whatnot, but if anyone lives on this path of destruct-fun and would actually want to meet us, let me know here, DM me here, or hit me up on facebook.

Not looking for lodging, wife is already having fun picking B&B's and hotels and stuff. We do love cooking though. I make a good cheesy lasagna and she has a good Bolivian peanut soup recipe.
Last edit: 07 May 2018 14:56 by Jexik.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Black Barney

More
07 May 2018 16:20 #272834 by Black Barney
Replied by Black Barney on topic Canada!
that soup sounds awful but the lasagna sounds fantastic.

I'm around Montreal except between the 4th and 17th.

hope you post lots of updates to this thread on your trip. Can't wait to hear about it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds