October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

So......GenCon Indy anyone?

More
25 Jul 2008 13:26 #9089 by billyz
Okay people, it' tight around the corner so to mimic Thaad's question," who all is going?" It can't be just me and Thaad, what? Is everybody else going to the WBC? (I'm still trying to convince my crew to hit that one of these years...)

It'd it be cool to get together and play/buy/sell/trade some games, or share one_or several_ drinks- you know, good times.

For the record, Steak n' Shake is the fucking devil. "Special Event Menu" my ass.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2008 21:23 #9106 by mikelawson
I'm not going to be able to make it, but I've got a proxy (my brother-in-law) going. He said he'd pick up something for me if I give him a list, so....

Are there any new releases or something coming out at GenCon that I'd be potentially interested in? (Thaadd, here's your cue.....)

--Mike L.

More
28 Jul 2008 09:26 #9164 by Thaadd
Sadly, all I can say is 'Yah, probably.'

B)

Part of the fun of GenCon is the surprise of what will show up... for us, sometimes it is also a surprise, heh. We work like mad to get some stuff there despite time lines, and the fact that it's sort of like setting up the entire company 10 hours from home. The Blue Haired One, and others use this as a way to build excitement, and if I blab, I will make him sad.

Last year was StarCraft, and that went over fairly well..

More
28 Jul 2008 19:21 #9208 by Mr Skeletor
I'll be there demoing game Z

More
29 Jul 2008 11:22 #9224 by Thaadd
Something makes me think you would lack the patience to be a good Demo monkey. Telling people to screw off when they interrupt you, contradict the rules with ones THEY think would be better doesn't work well. And heaven forbid they ask you if you have a promotional exclusive items....

(That said, Privateer Press had a crazed Australian who showed up to be a demo monkey.)(He was pretty cool)

More
29 Jul 2008 19:42 #9256 by Mr Skeletor
What are you talking about - I am a champion at explaining rules! Doug Adams once put me in his top 2 rules explainers.
I'll pit myself against any FFG demo monkey any time, any day. Name your game!

Anyone asking for 'exclusive' promotional items would gently go on their way with a new found understanding freeing them from crass marketing techniques and appreciating that they came to GenCon for the experience, not to collect garbage to sell at inflated items on ebay. You do not need exclusives just because you can attend one event 99% of the world can't. They would proceed to then write me letters of thanks 'till their dying days, and name their firstborn after me.

More
04 Aug 2008 18:29 #9493 by Thaadd
Braaaaaaaains.

There are definitely times where I wish we only had like.... 4 titles. Ah... for the good old days. Scheduling is hard. Brain is melty.

No excuse not to sit a demo this year, Mr Billy Canuck.

More
09 Aug 2008 12:27 - 09 Aug 2008 12:30 #9754 by billyz
Hehe. Don't worry. I plan on sitting a demo of starcraft at the very least-- can't seem to wrap my head around my friend's shit-ass explanation of the rules. If Kevin is demoing AH again this year I definately plan on demoing that: first 'cause Kevin's a nice guy and second 'cause I havn't played the thing in so long. Will you even be demoing this year? Seems like you got your hands full getting the schedule banged out.

Good luck with that by the way-- scheduling blows. Hard.

All that's left is getting my shit packed and figuring out what games are a must try for my major geek out of the year.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Mr. Billy Canuck? LOL.
Last edit: 09 Aug 2008 12:30 by billyz.

More
09 Aug 2008 21:24 #9768 by Thaadd
This year I am floor bossing, so other than pinch hitting through breaks and such, I may not be doing much for Demos. Will be answering questions, getting people on breaks, giving out coughdrops and waters to staff, and helping people find folks.

Kevin will be demoing something, but it's not Arkham ;) StarCraft will be out and being Demo'd however. Fair amount of stuff that was not there last year....

I am planning on hitting PF Changs on Friday after hall close, possible Thursday as well, but as a warning for Thursday I am meeting up with two of my Eve-nerd buddies. It's fairly likely we will be in full spaceship-jargon-language-jamboree mode, and that might drive other people a bit nuts. :lol:

More
11 Aug 2008 00:40 - 11 Aug 2008 01:26 #9777 by billyz
WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only two more sleeps left until I'm:

-digging 4:45 AM departure-- which suits me just fine since I usually get off work at 6AM
- enjoying 13/15 hour drive
-Trying to get some much needed sleep on the way down while everyone else is:
.listening to music.
.watching a movie.
.shootin' tha shit
.playing PS2( the annual GENCON INVITATIONAL: very limited space, 5$ buy-in, winner take-all.
. finding new and annoying ways of A) waking me the fuck up.
B ) doing something stupid to me while I'm sleeping.
-Speaking only when spoken to at the border. I only look like a crook you bastards!!!
-Trying to weasle my way out of driving duty.
-Finding out that-yes, this bathroom IS the most disgusting bathroom I have ever used.
-Being amazed at how much cheaper booze is state side.
- Fumigating the van and blaming it on some farmer stirrin' up the ol' manure pile.
-Remembering that I forgot something.
-Amazed at how billboards in certain States automatically assume that I belive in God.
-Pulling into the outskirts of Indy, laughing at the fact that people would rather pay 250$ to sleep around the ICC instead of paying 40$ dollars a night and putting up with a 15 minute drive in and parking fees.
- Wondering how the fuck that 120 pound, 13 year old, kid is eating 5 times more than my fat ass is at the Ponderossa.
-Reminding myself that America is the only English speakign country in the world that pronounces it ZEE not ZED-- especially important when your last name is Zavos, or else it becomes Zedavos.
-Laughing how much that booth girl is hating her job right now.
-Cursing the fucking cheapass manager that decided to only start the A/C the very MINUTE the exhibitor's hall doors open. Not a second before. You cunt.
-Saying the following out loud: -"No, I don't want to sit through a demo."
-"Yes, I get laid rather regularly-- thanks for asking."
-"FUCK STEAK & SHAKE!"
-Wishing Thaadd a Happy Birthday a few days early, only to wish her a Happy Birhday again a few days later because I forgot I wished it to her already.
-Looking for something that's stealthgeeky for my daughter's room.
-The only male not accompanied by his parther, buying soaps at Bath n' Bodyworks.
-Thankful that years of putting up with other people's B.O at work has actually come in handy.
-Thinking, "I can take those damn Klingon gaolers!"
-Trying to con as many scha=wag bags as I possibly can. Record so far:6
-Starting the long ass drive back home.

Being a geek rocks.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2008 01:26 by billyz.

More
12 Aug 2008 09:11 #9857 by Stephen Avery
Now *that* is a well planned trip...

Steve"amazed"Avery

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds