October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

Atlanta area?

More
11 Aug 2008 15:02 #9799 by MDC
Atlanta area? was created by MDC
I asked this on BGG but I am going to be in Atlanta for the weekend and was looking for a recommendation on what gaming stores to hit. I play all kinds of games so I prefer a store that has a good selection of RPGs, CCGs, boardgames, wargames, miniatures, etc.

So far it sounds like Dr. No's and Oxford are the only 2 close to downtown Atlanta?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Aug 2008 15:08 #9800 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:Atlanta area?
You're headed into the ledgerdomain of Barnes and his crew.

I can vouch for Dr. No's. Big store, big selection. Fairly friendly crew, you should be able to find most of what you're looking for. They stock Euros, AT, CCGs, CMGs, and a bunch of other stuff. Make sure to hit up their clearance areas as I've found a couple of good things in there while I was browsing.

I can't say for sure about any others, that's the only one I visited. It's not in Atlanta proper but it's northwest of it in Marietta, I believe. There's an exit on 75 that will drop you pretty close to their shop.

More
11 Aug 2008 15:20 #9802 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Atlanta area?
MDC? Multi Death Corporations? Millions of Dead Cops? Millions of Dead Children? Mega Devil Cokes? Which is it, then?

The best game group in town is on hiatus right now while some logistics get worked out- usually it was at Mercer University but for now the group has sort of fragmented into smaller private organizations. There are no stores close to downtown Atlanta. Once AGF went down, gaming retail in the city went down the tubes. I haven't been in an actual game store in two years.

I _do not_ recommend Oxford in any way. For one thing, they hardly have anything other than RPG books and what they have is strictly MSRP. For another, I have a serious problem with some of their business practices and I have had a number of "incidents" with them in the past. The best was when I was overcharged for an RPG book, took it back into the store to correct the problem, and the owner of the store literally pulled out a price gun and restickered the book right in front of me with the price that he erroneously charged me, smack over the printed MSRP. It's a shame because they are a _great_ comic shop.

Dr. No's is pretty good, but I haven't been there in years. Be advised that it isn't really "in" Atlanta, it's quite far out into the suburbs (30 minutes or so out of the city w/o traffic). There was a shop in Lawrenceville that I never went to that I think closed recently, I think it was called Tower Games- you may want to check to see if they're still in business. The Gaming Pit is one north of the city that a lot of folks go to and I believe they do a wednesday night thing. I'm not really sure where it is, I think it's pretty far outside of the city.

More
11 Aug 2008 16:19 #9808 by PseudoIntellectual
Replied by PseudoIntellectual on topic Re:Atlanta area?
Do you know how long it takes to drive to the War Room (Norcross)? I've been there but not in a looong time, can't remember the drive. If it's around a half-hour or so from atl I would suggest that over any other half-hour away place. I don't care for the in-store gaming, but the business part is huge and they have a great selection of just about any miniatures wargame, ccg or rpg you can think of (I don't remember if they have boardgames or not, but I think they do).

More
11 Aug 2008 16:30 #9809 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re:Atlanta area?
The War Room shut down a couple of months ago. Another one bites the dust. They sucked anyway.

More
11 Aug 2008 17:39 #9811 by moss_icon
Replied by moss_icon on topic Re:Atlanta area?
Michael Barnes wrote:

MDC? Multi Death Corporations? Millions of Dead Cops? Millions of Dead Children? Mega Devil Cokes? Which is it, then?

gah, beaten to the punch!

More
11 Aug 2008 20:24 - 11 Aug 2008 20:25 #9821 by Aarontu
Replied by Aarontu on topic Re:Atlanta area?
Hobby Town is also up in Marietta. It's mostly models and RC stuff, but it's a big store (used to be a movie theater) and has a larger miniature gaming section than Dr. No's, and usually has a decent selection of RPGs and board games.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2008 20:25 by Aarontu.

More
12 Aug 2008 01:21 #9838 by PseudoIntellectual
Replied by PseudoIntellectual on topic Re:Atlanta area?
Michael Barnes wrote:

The War Room shut down a couple of months ago. Another one bites the dust. They sucked anyway.

Huh. I hadn't been there in probly five years. Never really liked the place, but it had a good selection of GW stuff. Another one bites the dust indeed, that leaves Hobbytown. I miss AGF, I miss Mageworks, I even miss Sword of the Phoenix. :(

More
12 Aug 2008 06:14 #9847 by Stephen Avery
Replied by Stephen Avery on topic Re:Atlanta area?
The Gaming Pit in Tucker has a few boardgames and lots of CCGS and minis. It is also pretty centrally located if you want to hook up for some quick gaming. Its probably your best choice for shopping (though thats not saying much)

Tower games is reputed to have boardgames but I have yet to track it down. and lastly Titan Comics has a few. Their stock is ancient with a sprinkling of new stuff.

Steve"BargainHunter"Avery

More
12 Aug 2008 07:26 #9849 by MDC
Replied by MDC on topic Re:Atlanta area?
Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I probably won't have time for actual gaming but I figured an hour or so of intermittent store browsing will be possible.

MDC is my initials but I will go with Mega Deth Conglomerate. :)

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.131 seconds