October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Connect with other board gamers and organize online gaming here.

ASL by VASL

More
11 Dec 2014 22:33 #192522 by ThirstyMan
ASL by VASL was created by ThirstyMan
Anyone up for some simple (!) ASL using VASSAL? The module you need is called VASL. We can try live (it's a good module). Infantry only perhaps one of the early SL scenarios?

Reply here if you are up for it or fancy learning it (got the rules but no one has the time to play it kinda thing). Not looking to play sharks just a low key game.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2014 23:13 #192526 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: ASL by VASL
I'll take a swing at it. Is there a primer for the game available?

Serious time zone issues will apply.

More
11 Dec 2014 23:27 #192527 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: ASL by VASL
There's a shortish rule book in the ASL for beginners pack. I'll scan it and send it to you. It's infantry only rules. Pm me your email address. In the meantime download VASL. I think there are separate boards for beginners ASL but I'm not sure. Do you have the full rule Book? I may have an e version of it somewhere. If you do have the rulebook try their programmed learning section. It's pretty good and covers a lot.

More
12 Dec 2014 04:31 #192531 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: ASL by VASL
I'd give it a shot but there's that thing where you bail on me and leave me heart broken in tears.

More
12 Dec 2014 05:25 #192533 by ThirstyMan
Yes, well, that was due to a major life crisis. Now I'm back in the saddle.

More
12 Dec 2014 06:33 #192534 by Sagrilarus
I may just pick up a starter kit if that's sufficient.

More
12 Dec 2014 07:17 #192535 by ThirstyMan
That's fine.

It's infantry only (no big guns) I don't think the starter kit has the sniper mechanism but it would be easy to add in. It's good to have it because it kind of trains you into being careful about firing when there is a low hit probability, just because you can. It makes it far more risky to do that.

Pretty much everything else is 'normal' rules but infantry only.

More
12 Dec 2014 19:14 #192641 by Sagrilarus
MMP was closed on my way home. I looked on Wargame Depot but shipping is $10 and it will take longer, so I'll take another swing at it this weekend or on Monday.

$10 shipping. Jeeze. It's killin' me.

S.

More
13 Dec 2014 20:41 #192709 by Sagrilarus
For anyone considering ASL, Joe Steadman has a set of 15 YouTube videos explaining Advanced Squad Leader, limited to Starter Kit 1 rules but laying out the entire phase order and the basic concepts of ASL play. It's very good. I'm guessing that I can fake it at this point as long as I'm playing a seasoned opponent. I may head out the Winter Offensive for ASL this year instead of the "other" Multi-Man games.

S.

More
16 Dec 2014 09:54 #192851 by Sagrilarus
Thanks a lot asshole. I just spent $70 at Multi-Man. I should have ordered it online for the higher price. Would have spent less.

I picked up Special Ops which has two scenarios specifically for SK1 and a copy of the SK1 scenarios module, because Line of Sight is even MORE fun with hedgerows.

S.

More
23 Dec 2014 01:35 #193220 by ThirstyMan
Sag is currently climbing the learning curve that is ASL with some fairly hard lessons that he probably won't forget in a hurry. I chortle to myself (chortle is such a great word) when Sag says he's seen a few videos so he's pretty much got ASL sorted out. Turns out, it is still a pretty steep curve. Worth it in the end though.

I still firmly believe ASL is far better than its tactical competitors on the market. I see Combat Commander as a kind of baby tactical game. It is not true that command paralysis does not exist in ASL, that is why die rolls are made for various activities. It is annoying blowing a tread on soft ground in a tank while just moving along.

ASL is undoubtedly hard and easy to give up on but there is nothing like deciding to light up a forest to give you smoke cover and then find half the forest is ablaze and you can't even get to your initial objective and, oh fuck, the wind is blowing in your direction and you can't get out of the way of your rapidly spreading forest fire.

Should anyone else wish to give it a shot you will need ASLSK#1 as a minimum (or full ASL rules), VASL downloaded as a module in VASSAL, buckets of patience and an ability to say 'thank you very much sir, may I have another one' in the style of Animal House initiations.

I may well be a shitty teacher, but who else out there is offering to help foul mouthed FAT:ties learn the greatest tactical game on earth?

Repo and FlimFlam should have learned this years ago but are wimps of the highest degree for bailing and falling off the learning curve.

Sag is being a total hero and really going for it, I am pleased to report.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds