October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

CinemaDome: Blues Brothers vs Ghostbusters

More
07 Dec 2016 15:40 #240074 by Michael Barnes
Embarrassing..._but_ sells cereal and happy meals

One of the worst things I have ever seen in my life are those life sized Jake and Elwood statues. They are the kinds of things that someone like, say, Donald Trump would buy to add some "wackiness" to their parlor. Or a restaraunt like Fuddruckers would display at the entrance to remind people of the Good Times that their hamburgers will help you recapture.

I'll take the Ectocooler over that crap.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2016 15:44 #240075 by Grudunza
Ghostbusters has lines that don't really mean anything, but are supposed to be funny because we know that Bill Murray and these guys are generally funny, and so gee, it's funny because it's coming out of their mouths. But there's often little meaning or actual *humor* there. The movie is very fun, regardless, but the humor does not hold up much anymore. A few decent laughs, but mostly not that funny.

Blues Brothers isn't perfect, but has a decent amount of actual original comedy, both situational and with dialogue and characters. The pacing is sometimes slow, but that's reminiscent of its time, where certain things could build up more before paying off. It's a road movie, with a stated goal and premise early on, so I don't get the beef about it not having a cohesive story. It's similar to the original Muppet Movie (1979) in tone and approach. I'd give Muppet Movie the edge, but BB is still great.

Perhaps a better comparison would be Blues Brothers to Wayne's World, as both are SNL properties with a music theme. Blues Brothers destroys that one, though, in terms of comedy that holds up, and WW came out a full twelve years later.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Vlad

More
07 Dec 2016 15:54 #240076 by Michael Barnes
When you have to cite Wayne's World to defend Blues Brothers, you have shot yourseld in the foot.

Also, how dare you try to leverage "The Rainbow Connection" in this fracas. You monster.

"TRY OUR NEW POTATO SKINS!"

More
07 Dec 2016 15:57 #240077 by Grudunza

Michael Barnes wrote: One of the worst things I have ever seen in my life are those life sized Jake and Elwood statues. They are the kinds of things that someone like, say, Donald Trump would buy to add some "wackiness" to their parlor. Or a restaraunt like Fuddruckers would display at the entrance to remind people of the Good Times that their hamburgers will help you recapture.

I'll take the Ectocooler over that crap.

And that's relevant to the movie somehow? Sure, Ghostbusters is a cool property, but it's still pretty cheesy, with a lot of crap stuff coming from it. The Blues Brothers was born of a fictional comedy sketch, but the band (of the movie's era) was a solid rhythm and blues band, with some great players (and Belushi and Ackroyd are decent singers/performers, too). Whatever the idea of them may have turned into later as a schlocky property, that movie captured a fun moment of music and comedy, and Belushi in his prime.

More
07 Dec 2016 16:02 - 07 Dec 2016 16:04 #240078 by Grudunza
The point is that Blues Brothers (1980) not only holds up better than Ghostbusters (1984), but also Wayne's World (1992). It being an older film is irrelevant to how good it is. But regardless, get off my lawn.

I said that I'd give Muppet Movie the edge over Blues Brothers. But in terms of story narrative, they are very similar. If you're okay with the Muppet Movie story (and countless other road movies where you gather people along the way to accomplish some goal at the end), then the beef about the Blues Brothers story doesn't wash. That's mostly directed at Shell's complaint, though I don't know if he likes the original Muppet Movie (he oughta).
Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 16:04 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: the_jake_1973

More
07 Dec 2016 16:25 - 07 Dec 2016 16:34 #240079 by RobertB
I'd argue that if you didn't see the movie back when it came out, you won't think they're all that great, for either of them. This is based on my massive sample size of '1 Spousal Unit'.

ETA: Okay, this is obviously wrong if Mr. Barnes is ready to go to war over Ghostbusters v Blues Brothers. I think my theory still holds for BB and/or Animal House.
Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 16:34 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Vlad

More
07 Dec 2016 16:31 #240080 by ChristopherMD

RobertB wrote: This is based on my massive sample size of '1 Spousal Unit'.

Did you just call your wife fat?

More
07 Dec 2016 16:36 #240081 by RobertB
@Mad Dog: Sure. 'tis the season to sport a shiner. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
07 Dec 2016 17:19 #240084 by Vlad

RobertB wrote: I'd argue that if you didn't see the movie back when it came out, you won't think they're all that great, for either of them. This is based on my massive sample size of '1 Spousal Unit'.

ETA: Okay, this is obviously wrong if Mr. Barnes is ready to go to war over Ghostbusters v Blues Brothers. I think my theory still holds for BB and/or Animal House.

Yep, seconded. Long time ago, I used to like both Blues Brothers and Ghostbusters quite a lot. Maybe more Blues Brother than Ghostbusters. Or maybe it was the other way round. The thing is, about 10 years ago, when my future wife and I started dating, I discovered - the horror, the horror - she had no idea of Blues Brothers' existence and could barely tell Murray from Aykroyd from Belushi. So I showed her Blues Brothers one night, and she promptly fall asleep, like one or two numbers in. I kept watching, but kind of catching myself on the fact that this was maybe not such a good movie as I claimed it to be. I haven't tried to watch it again ever since.
Ghostbusters, on the other hand, she endured and we actually re-watched it not so long ago to determine whether it is suitable to show to our son (no, it is not).
But she did not find it great, either. I think it was one of those movies that made sense in the spur of the moment, so to speak, and for our generation. Film students are going to watch it 50 years from now and ask themselves what the fuck we were smoking.

So ... one for "There's no Dana, only Zuul"

More
07 Dec 2016 17:24 - 07 Dec 2016 17:34 #240085 by Colorcrayons
The one thing that would edge out blues brothers in favor of ghostbusters, for me at least, is that it's half of a kaiju movie, with the most retarded kaiju ever put to screen.

And as someone who grew up watching ultraman, that's saying something.

But the kaiju is defeated by 4 humans. (With admittedly powerful weapons)
So that also makes it the weakest kaiju movie made as well.

And as a fan of Matthew Broderick, that's also saying something. :P
Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 17:34 by Colorcrayons.

More
07 Dec 2016 17:37 #240087 by Shellhead
There is a recurring theme that I am seeing in these CinemaDomes. Some of you seem to resent a movie for being too good, and will deliberately vote against it in favor of an obvious b-movie. I realize that this is CinemaDome, and there isn't even a requirement that a voter has seen both movies, but this resentment angle seems disconnected from even a basic question of "Which movie do you like more?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Vlad

More
07 Dec 2016 17:38 - 07 Dec 2016 17:42 #240088 by boothwah
Ghostbusters was my fourth or fifth grade birthday party movie - Took all my friends - Bought the sound track. I have mad loves for this movie. It's in the same category as Enemy Mine, and the Last Starfighter...cheesy movies that are have been upgraded by the fog of youth and the passing years - Definitely fond memories associated with being 11 or 12 and sitting in the theater and sharing oily popcorn with my friends. Upon rewatching all of them with my kids, I was really at a loss, trying to convince them why they where so magical.

I didn't have to do that with Raiders, the Holy Grail, Baron Munchausen, the Blues Brothers, etc.

Vote : Blues Brothers
Last edit: 07 Dec 2016 17:42 by boothwah.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
07 Dec 2016 18:28 #240090 by Ancient_of_MuMu
This one is close, and my instinct is for Ghostbusters, and I was going to come in here and vote for it without reading everyone's comments, but then I did read everyone's reasoning, so fuck you Barnes, I'm voting for Blues Brothers.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
07 Dec 2016 23:51 #240106 by Not Sure
I skimmed the comments, even though I already knew my vote. But yeh, fuck Barnes. He has no soul.

Blues Brothers for sure.

More
08 Dec 2016 01:36 #240107 by Vlad

Shellhead wrote: There is a recurring theme that I am seeing in these CinemaDomes. Some of you seem to resent a movie for being too good, and will deliberately vote against it in favor of an obvious b-movie. I realize that this is CinemaDome, and there isn't even a requirement that a voter has seen both movies, but this resentment angle seems disconnected from even a basic question of "Which movie do you like more?"

I don't understand why you're surprised, this is exactly how we vote in this country.
The following user(s) said Thank You: engineer Al

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds