October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× WELCOME TO TRASHDOME!

This is part of a series of bloody matches to the death. Show support for your favorite game so it will do better in the fight. You can support it by writing why you think its the better game and more importantly by betting (i.e. voting for) it. Please make it clear for when I check the bets later. You have until Friday when I tally the bets and declare the winner. I will reserve my bet for any tie-breakers.

Although you should be familiar with both games, there is no rule that says you have to have played both of them. The only rule in Trashdome is this;

Two games enter! One game leaves!

Miniature vs CCG Gaming

More
24 Apr 2017 17:08 #247085 by SuperflyPete

Colorcrayons wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: It's apples and oranges, since one is a massive money pit that includes incremental power creep...

That does also describe a lot of mini games.

Had he said "Warhammer" or other shit like that, I'd agree. But for me, miniatures games means ANY, which is a 10$ rule book, and whatever models and terrain you want. You could play the fuck out of a lot of miniatures games with a bunch of cardstock (free to print) terrain and two bags of 10$ Green/Tan army men.

With CCGs, it's all about power creep and having to buy to continue playing. Same with CMGs (which I noted "fuck that"). But there's SO MANY other miniatures games that don't require tons of investment and that you can play the shit out of without having to spend a dime extra.

Plus, a 4$ WreckAge model can be used with any other game, from Necromunda to Babylons Burning to RPG games like Twilight 2000.

You could arguably use X Wing models with StarMada or Star Warriors...but to play the game as provided you're stuck with power creep.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Apr 2017 19:33 #247090 by Sevej
Replied by Sevej on topic Miniature vs CCG Gaming
Minis.

More of "it's mine" feeling, and when I'm done, I've got minis instead of boxes of cards.

More
25 Apr 2017 07:41 #247119 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Miniature vs CCG Gaming

SuperflyTNT wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote:

SuperflyTNT wrote: It's apples and oranges, since one is a massive money pit that includes incremental power creep...

That does also describe a lot of mini games.

Had he said "Warhammer" or other shit like that, I'd agree. But for me, miniatures games means ANY, which is a 10$ rule book, and whatever models and terrain you want. You could play the fuck out of a lot of miniatures games with a bunch of cardstock (free to print) terrain and two bags of 10$ Green/Tan army men.

With CCGs, it's all about power creep and having to buy to continue playing. Same with CMGs (which I noted "fuck that"). But there's SO MANY other miniatures games that don't require tons of investment and that you can play the shit out of without having to spend a dime extra.

Plus, a 4$ WreckAge model can be used with any other game, from Necromunda to Babylons Burning to RPG games like Twilight 2000.

You could arguably use X Wing models with StarMada or Star Warriors...but to play the game as provided you're stuck with power creep.

A lot of this is true. You can use miniatures across systems and you can get into many games cheap.

Ospry has been putting out some great little rulebooks across all sorts of genres. About 2 months ago I bought 'A Fistful of Kung Fu' for about $8 shipped. Along with it I picked up two boxes of the Gangs of Mega City One starter box for $25 shipped total. This gave me rules, two play mats, cardstock buildings, and about 24 miniatures. So for $33 I'm able to put together a full minis game in a setting I'm working on ("Burning Street '88" - based on late 80s/early 90s arcade beat'em ups like Final Fight and Streets of Rage).
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
25 Apr 2017 08:41 #247124 by Legomancer
Replied by Legomancer on topic Miniature vs CCG Gaming
fuck 'em both

though I did do some time in the CCG mines, back in the 90s

More
25 Apr 2017 09:35 #247128 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Miniature vs CCG Gaming
Mr. White wrote:

CCGs really need to be played by the deck engineer. I've never been in a situation where playing with a deck someone else designed was a top gaming experience. Maybe it happens for some groups, but it seems CCGs are only interesting when playing a deck of your own creation.

When I played M:tG a lot, I liked both self-constructed decks and netdecks. I had a self-designed 5CW that was a hoot, because people couldn't believe they lost to what looked like garbage. But I would also play netdecks if my M:tG friends and I couldn't get our own inventions to work. There's no shame in playing standard chess openings, and I figured there was no shame in playing a netdeck.

More
25 Apr 2017 10:20 #247135 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Miniature vs CCG Gaming
Why are we talking about cards at Fortress Sigmar?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, stormseeker75, SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons

More
25 Apr 2017 11:02 #247138 by Mr. White

Shellhead wrote: Why are we talking about cards at Fortress Sigmar?

Eh, there are only so many gaming topics to discuss. The games we currently play will get the most run. These games ebb and flow through the years.

Still, the people bellyaching about minis talk are also the ones that don't seem to start too many new threads for discussion...

More
25 Apr 2017 12:18 #247151 by dysjunct
Replied by dysjunct on topic Miniature vs CCG Gaming

Legomancer wrote: fuck 'em both

though I did do some time in the CCG mines, back in the 90s

My answer too. If these were my only gaming choices I'd leave the hobby.

More
25 Apr 2017 13:27 #247165 by Colorcrayons

Shellhead wrote: Why are we talking about cards at Fortress Sigmar?

I've been a member of Dakka Dakka for 20 years, this September. It used to only be a forum for locals in a war gaming club in New Hampshire. Back in that time, you had to search long and hard for a good discussion forum. Portent (now war seer) was one of them too.

Anyways, I chose that site for the reasonable people to discuss my interests with, even though I knew none of them. Now it is just a place where you get a few decent ideas or news bits, then shouting matches occur. But otherwise it is the perfectly appropriate place to discuss GW minis games. I mean, I've been a member for that long, so why not go there?

I choose to discuss such here because I find the banter more reasonable and personable. The signal to noise ratio is a lot different here.

I know your comment was made in jest, but I just wanted to address my reasons for discussing GW games here, even though I barely play any of them anymore.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
25 Apr 2017 14:57 #247170 by Mr. White
Yeah, I've got accounts at The Grand Alliance and Lead Adventure, but I prefer the 'one stop shop' nature of this place. Those others are more specific (gaming and painting respectively) so there isn't the other sorts of chatter I can also partake in here.

I do wish our numbers were higher though and other people were bringing up other topics to chat about. This feels like a small community and I'm not sure I would have stuck around if I only came upon the forums in the past few years.

More
25 Apr 2017 15:04 #247171 by Michael Barnes
Well I mean, what else are we going to discuss? How good Dune is? That thing some guy posted at BGG that was dumb? "I really like John Carpenter movies"? Or maybe we can all talk about the 25 new Kickstarters that showed up this week.

This site has been around for ten years and we've seen interests, topics, and people come and go. Since it is user created content, what shows up is largely dependent on what everyone is playing and cares enough to write about. The GW Reformation caught quite a few of us, because let's face it, the roots of Ameritrash are DEEP in GW soil. And it's made people EXCITED about talking about games but more than that it's FOCUSED the conversation in a way that hasn't been seen since before Kickstarter blew up.

Which isn't to say we shouldn't have or don't want conversations or topics or front page posts about other games. Please, be my guest! I'd love to hear what YOU have to say, what your thoughts are on current or classic games, and so forth. All you've got to do is POST.

More
25 Apr 2017 15:10 - 25 Apr 2017 15:29 #247173 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: but more than that it's FOCUSED the conversation in a way that hasn't been seen since before Kickstarter blew up.

This is true.

Current GW has allowed some conversation to be steered. Enough people have gotten on board to produce some lasting discussions. I, for one, can't keep up with KS releases, but I can follow AoS releases. Even if I don't play that specific title, I can maybe buy or trade for a model to use in WHQ or Gorechosen or something. Using the same models across lines allows for some cross pollination talk, even if the talk is just about the components.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2017 15:29 by Mr. White.

More
25 Apr 2017 15:12 #247174 by Vlad
Replied by Vlad on topic Miniature vs CCG Gaming
I don't think we've talked nearly enough about how good Dune is, at least not this week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Da Bid Dabid, Colorcrayons

More
25 Apr 2017 21:05 #247235 by dave
Replied by dave on topic Miniature vs CCG Gaming
Although I'm primarily a board gamer, most of my most memorable gaming experiences over the past 20 years are CCGs, including 7th Sea, Doomtown, AGoT CCG, AoE II, Tomb Raider, and many others from that golden era in the late 90's / early 00's. That includes drafting tournaments (the best!), constructed tournaments (including regional), and lots of home gaming with the wife (back when she gamed) and my 2p gaming bud. Wasn't gonna vote in this pick-'em given my limited experience with minis, but there's been a dearth of CCG love. Man, the personality I injected into some of those 7th Sea and AGoT decks...

Vote: CCGs

More
25 Apr 2017 23:06 #247238 by SuperflyPete

Michael Barnes wrote: Well I mean, what else are we going to discuss? How good Dune is? That thing some guy posted at BGG that was dumb? "I really like John Carpenter movies"? Or maybe we can all talk about the 25 new Kickstarters that showed up this week.

This site has been around for ten years and we've seen interests, topics, and
Which isn't to say we shouldn't have or don't want conversations or topics or front page posts about other games. Please, be my guest! I'd love to hear what YOU have to say, what your thoughts are on current or classic games, and so forth. All you've got to do is POST.

That first paragraph fucked me up, big time. Between you and Charlie, you guys see and read more reciews than any 20 people here due fo the nature of your editorial duties at Miniature Market. Are you implying that in all of that editing theres nothing you have to say beyond "GW (latest shit) rocks"? I find that hard to believe.

I, literally have nothing to offer. I dont get to game much and most of my posts of late revolve around miniature terrain building as thats something I know a lot about. But my two reciews a month of bargain basement shit that ends up being "solid mehven or less" isn't valuable.

Once "our game" launches and my muzzle is removed I'll be posting shit that will blow your fucking minds. Ive even got shit already written describing the process of design, testing, blind teating, "the life cycle", and my own expelriences, but until then I just don't have much. I rely on you (and a select few other FATties) heavily as Tastemaker In Chief to tell me what's going on. Very few people have the exposure and breadth of knowledga as you. So, step up sucka!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds