October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Painting Minis, Print & Play and Other Creative Type Stuff.

Destroy all Monsters!

More
11 Dec 2016 19:03 #240354 by Colorcrayons
Replied by Colorcrayons on topic Destroy all Monsters!
December 8th update:

Critical Injury and action cards are now complete.

Card back:

And a few examples of the card faces. Each card has a unique pic, and most of the names have been changed where suitable.

December 10 update:
After playing a couple more test games, the initiative cards are found to be wanting when I introduced a team dynamic that used models from the same faction.
So Im dropping the idea, but still making them available for those who want them. I really wanted to make the work I did on these cards be used somehow, but I forgot the adage of K.I.S.S. (Keep it simple, stupid).

I am instead going color coded. Its less cards and cheaper to print. I think it works better overall anyways. Just the word "Kaiju" printed in Kanji on the face in differing colors.

Since the newsprint idea isnt giving me the satisfaction I thought it would, I redid the action cards as well to be cohesive with the rest of the cards aesthetically.

December 11th update:

Rage Track and tokens now complete. Trying to stay with K.I.S.S.
Hopefully, it gives the player a sense of a military command unit interface, tracking kaiju terror levels and such.
Here is an example of the track with tokens on it:

With the cards and tokens complete, I just need to finish the layout on rulebook and finish details on game board. I saved the worst for last...
But as it stands, its playable in this form if people so chose to be impatient enough to request materials. Maybe just print the board out on several letter sized sheets, tape it together, and print out pdfs of the cards.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Dec 2016 14:17 #241565 by Colorcrayons
Here are the finalized cards and a few other components. The rulebook and map are still under construction, but the WIP map can be downloaded if you choose.

You have two file choices, depending on whether you decide to publish at home or use a printing service. Individual cards can be uploaded to your choice of printing services, while the group page is for home use. There are registration markers that are meant to be aligned when using a light box to get a nearly perfect alignment with front and back of the cards. Print borderless.

The City and Hazardous Ruins cards should be considered optional and were created to help set up the board for the thematic replacement effect of "Pit and Obstructions". It didnt make sense to me that a kaiju would hit a pit and die so readily during a game, but the risk of that effect should still remain. While they add a couple more minimal steps to the game, I beleive the thematic payoff is worth the the effort. Skyscrapers are intended to be more prolific in games than hazard sites.
It helps to have the corresponding Monpoc structure, but you can just place the Hazardous Ruin tile during set up instead.

During set-up, you roll a D6. On a 1-4, you place a Skyscraper in the proscribed hex, on a 5-6 you draw a card from the City deck and place the structure drawn, on the proscribed hex. There are 5 structures that are sources of power of some sort, and cause hazardous ruins when destroyed: Nuclear Power Plant, Electric Power Plant, Oil Refinery, Sewage Plant, and Cathedral. These cards are meant to be used for reference during the game until the easily memorized rules are locked into your head. The Skyscrapers are included in the deck for completions sake of reference.

Structures are destroyed once a kaiju is thrown (formerly known as push) into it, and the model is replaced by their corresponding Hazardous Ruin tile. The kaiju takes D3 wounds, and is placed into that hex. Until it is destroyed, it just occupies a space (thus blocking movement through it) and either does or does not block line of sight.

Once a kaiju enters a Hazardous Ruin hex for any reason, or draws their initiative card while occupying a Hazardous Ruin hex, they draw a Hazardous Ruins card and apply the effect on the card corresponding to the Hazard that they are occupying.

So a kaiju that is thrown into a Nuclear Power Plant would take D3 wounds, draw a Hazardous Ruins card for entering that hex, and draw a hazardous ruins card after they draw their next initiative card and each subsequent initiative card while they remain in that hex.

These are further individually modified by each kaiju being given an Affinity and Immunity. Immunity means all effects are never applied when drawn, and Affinity means that you may draw two cards and choose which effect of the appropriate hazard to apply.

For example, Cyber Khan (the mechagodzilla analogue) has an Affinity for Electrical and is Immune to Biohazards. So Cyber Khan would never suffer any biohazardous effects (Unliving, sealed robotic containment hull) and may draw two hazardous ruins cards when he is required to in Electrical Hazardous Ruins (Robot who has an advantage in such an environment)
This alteration to the characters in the game allows some intuitive thematic moments. Godzilla being immune to a radioactive dump for instance, yet is less likely to receive the most harm in an environment he has an affinity too.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, Gary Sax, SuperflyPete, sornars

More
07 Mar 2017 16:50 - 07 Mar 2017 17:04 #244933 by Colorcrayons
Project update time:

The game board is done with the exception of the vehicles strewn about the map. A painstaking process since I have to place each vehicle on the map individually. I think this detail greatly improves the suspension of disbelief. As always, the scale is a strict 1:1200 scale. Here is an example:

But before I call it done, I could use some feedback from you folks.

Here is the game board and for comparison a tweak I made to better illustrate the border of the hex grid. I am not sure if this is necessary however.

Here is a full resolution sample of the board as it stands, if you would like to closely scrutinize the map:
Full resolution map sample
Last edit: 07 Mar 2017 17:04 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, hotseatgames, barrowdown

More
08 Mar 2017 10:57 #244951 by derekjinx
Replied by derekjinx on topic Destroy all Monsters!
Holy crap I just stumbled onto this post! This is amazing work!
I collected a bunch of these years ago and they're collecting dust. I think I may have most/ all the figures intended for this game (and some extras for those interested in buying off me). I won't ask $3-$5 per figure, but if I can clump together some sets for those that want some, I would ask a modest sum plus shipping costs. I am in Toronto, Canada.
I also have many, many buildings as well.
Is there a checklist of whats needed to play this fully?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
08 Mar 2017 11:22 #244952 by barrowdown
Replied by barrowdown on topic Destroy all Monsters!
Excellent work!

As for your request for feedback, I think the thick outer border on the bottom one is too strong, but I think the inner borders are just a little too thin.

More
08 Mar 2017 13:55 #244966 by Colorcrayons

thejinx13 wrote: Holy crap I just stumbled onto this post! This is amazing work!
Is there a checklist of whats needed to play this fully?

Thanks! It's most appreciated.

As for the Monpoc component list:
The 12 kaiju listed in the OP.
The buildings would be: 1x nuclear power plant, 1x electrical power plant, 1x sewage plant, 1x oil refinery, 1x cathedral.
The other buildings (skyscrapers as they are referred to in this retheme) are just whatever suits you to taste. Because the hexes are 2.75" wide, I found I can fit three generic buildings on a clear acrylic hex base of the same size. It's a bit overkill, but it helps the game visually to have a grouping of buildings blocked together like that. More of a denser city feel. But that's just me. Others may want just a single skyscraper, or even one made out of papercraft.

Everything else is printed materials, like cards, board, rule book, tokens, etc.

barrowdown wrote: Excellent work!

As for your request for feedback, I think the thick outer border on the bottom one is too strong, but I think the inner borders are just a little too thin.

Thanks Barrowdown. The encouragement is appreciated.

Another graphic designer on another site I posted this to agrees. He suggested that while the broader grid boundary was better, he mentioned reducing the opacity of the lines a bit then broadening them out. So thicker, yet greyer to reduce the stark contrast. That will be a fine dance though, as too much and it may be hard to see at a glance what cells are what since anything above sidewalk height covers the grid.

I'm definitely going to give it a refinement with that in mind, and a test print to see how well it works in practice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: derekjinx

More
09 Mar 2017 10:39 #245000 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Destroy all Monsters!
I wish I lived near your city just so I could play this with you!

More
09 Mar 2017 13:22 #245003 by Colorcrayons
@thejinx13

Here are a few shots of the board I did a couple months ago to test proof of concept and print quality, size scaling, etc. It should give you a better idea about what I mean regarding 3 monpoc buildings per hex as a group of skyscrapers.

And here is the board now with the opacity of the grid lines reduced to 33%, and widened a bit. I kinda like it. Still not sure about the boundary border, since the widened lines do enhance the visibility of the boundary, which is important, as those of you who have played gorechosen already know from GWs board.

The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, hotseatgames, barrowdown

More
10 Mar 2017 16:35 #245035 by engineer Al
Replied by engineer Al on topic Destroy all Monsters!
That is some really beautiful stuff. Well done!

More
14 Mar 2017 06:33 #245112 by derekjinx
Replied by derekjinx on topic Destroy all Monsters!
I can see how three or just the 1 building works. I know little about gorechosen. I'm off to take a look at it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.438 seconds