Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 26 May 2018 10:03 #274115

stormseeker75 wrote:
SuperflyTNT wrote:
Why has nobody reviewed Roll Player here?

Maybe I'll do one. It's been a while. Am I cool enough to contribute content?

Uncoolness has never stopped me from contributing before. My comments on Roll Player:

I will always be a sucker for a unique theme (e.g., Xenon Profiteer), but Roll Player's motif is so highly targeted to RPGers that I'm happy to give it a shrug and a pass. I've heard of High Fantasy - but High Geek? Loved my character's backstory, though.

Ignoring the theme, Roll Player is a math/logic game about dice manipulation and passing over certain scoring opportunities to pursue others. If this what role-playing looks like through the spectacles of an accountant, it's best to stay away - at least when they're carrying d20s.

Even after winning, I didn't find the experience to be an exercise that bore repeating. It wasn't bad, by any means. Just not the fantasy roller coaster ride I had in mind.

Admittedly, I fell prey to my own expectations. I was hoping for endless cube-tossing, but that only occurs once per round - and only by the first player. But none of that stopped my Eurolicious buddies from finding glee in their newfound Abacus of Square Root Desires.
  • wkover
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 326
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Frohike

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 26 May 2018 19:31 #274121

Roll Player is the least interesting, less meaningful game I've ever played.

It's the pinnacle of hyperbalanced, no-interaction, no-thrills systems of equations eurogame in existence. It is nothing but an excercise in optimization, it has no goal, no theme nor narrative. It has no meaningful, impactful decisions, it's simply making sure value the values of A^B is as high as possible without C^BD going below the 5% threshold. It's not that I cannot do these kind of calculations (I actually won when I played it), is that it's so extremely dull, uninteresting and boring I see no reason to do it.

I have more fun doing math problems or solving a square root than playing this game. And I don't mean this as an exaggeration, I truly believe the game is nothing but calculations and it's worse and less fun than actual calculation is. It is the gaming equivalent of reading a shampoo bottle.

So yeah, big hater of this game.

--

Some recent plays:

Food Chain Magnate: All my games are now around 2 hours, probably less considering the setup. And by "now" I mean "after a couple games" because it's not like I'm an expert. It's not a long game at all, and I think the main reaosn why so many people on BGG report such a long game is simple: They are all focusing on building and playing mirror matches. Nobody plays aggressive and goes the Errand Boy+Early Marketing route and hence the selling goesn't start until late. This too explains why they love Guru so much.

Tragedy Looper: This is a great game, I'm not sure why I'm not keeping my copy.

Terraforming Mars: This is still fun, even though there's a clear "skill ceiling".
  • Erik Twice
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Needs explosions
  • Thank you received: 992
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Frohike, Colorcrayons

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 27 May 2018 00:25 #274122

Erik Twice wrote:
Roll Player is the gaming equivalent of reading a shampoo bottle.

This should be the copy printed on the box.

This should be the first phrase read on the game entry of the internet boardgame database.
  • Colorcrayons
  • D8
  • FrancoTrash toujours
  • Thank you received: 1154

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing? 27 May 2018 01:13 #274124

Bitten: JUST released by Catdragon. Interesting play. Review incoming.
  • WadeMonnig
  • D4
  • Thank you received: 19
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds