October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
01 Nov 2016 16:05 - 01 Nov 2016 16:08 #237303 by Erik Twice

Msample wrote: So in short he's a whiner .

Not really, it's the first time he has quitted like this and I've been playing with him for a long time. In fact, I whine far more than he does, you only need to check my Twitter and see what I think of Netrunner's metagame.

Funnily enough, the other person I can play it with regularly is a big whiner, but deep down he considers his strategies and rolls with the punches well. I've played The Republic of Rome with him without a problem, while I'm thinking the other may not like it at all.

Frohike wrote: Stop describing the water you're drowning in and start swimming, damn it!

This is a fantastic quote!

JEM wrote: A Most Dangerous Time sounds like a great game to me- is it playable solo? Even playing both sides just to enjoy the game. I know that my usual opponents don't enjoy games where each move can/will be blocked or negated or responded to in some way like that, but I love those games where you're poking and prodding and trying to find a way to make a move happen. Maybe that's at the core of what defines a war game? I can solo my COIN games and Pax Porfiriana, but AMDT would end up on the shelf.

I think more than moves being blocked, I think this is a game in which you must assess risks and decide when to tackle them. You need to put your foot down and say "I'm gonna do it", knowing you don't know the outcome.

As far as solo playability goes...the core game mechanics seem great for that. Chit pulls and the retreat mechanic keep things interesting, the only problem I can see are the betrayal cards and the general sense of "Would he pull in this situation or risk it?" that defines the game so much.

By the way, if you don't mind me being slow at understanding vassal, I'm more than open to play this online.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2016 16:08 by Erik Twice.
The following user(s) said Thank You: aaxiom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2016 16:45 #237305 by JEM
I ordered AMDT off someone on the geekmarket. Tune in for further bulletins!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, aaxiom

More
01 Nov 2016 17:13 - 01 Nov 2016 17:16 #237306 by Michael Barnes
Well, I will say this for The Others. It's better than Fireteam Zero.

"Other" than that, it's another co-op monster bash like we see come out about 20 times a year. Zombicide Black Plague is way better on every level.

I guess the difference is that this one has a setting/theme straight out of "edgy" horror circa 1994. There is even a 1990s goth girl with a whip. WOO HA. EDGY. You can practically hear My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult the whole game.

There is one almost brilliant idea on how the missions are structured. There's a kind of halfway point where you actually have two objectives and you sort of have to choose to go one way or the other. That's pretty neat. And breaking up the bad guy player's turn into sort of selective interrupts is pretty smart.

But it's pretty much junk. One of those "so what" games that has virtually nothing new or interesting to offer. A perfect embodiment of how there is just too much repetitive crap on the market today.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2016 17:16 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
01 Nov 2016 17:49 #237312 by wadenels
I totally forgot Thrill Kill Kult even existed.

More
01 Nov 2016 18:36 #237314 by Michael Barnes
I believe that might have been the first time they were mentioned publically since about 2003.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike

More
01 Nov 2016 19:43 #237319 by hotseatgames
Their involvement in The Crow is pretty fantastic.

More
01 Nov 2016 20:37 - 01 Nov 2016 21:17 #237323 by Sevej

Michael Barnes wrote: "Other" than that, it's another co-op monster bash like we see come out about 20 times a year. Zombicide Black Plague is way better on every level.

Barnes, have you checked Project Elite? It's also co op monster bash but utilizes real time dice mechanism like the Escape games. But the most interesting thing for me is that the monsters are weak. It's more like Deathwatch Overkill, unlike most games of this genre which have *gasp* hit points.
Last edit: 01 Nov 2016 21:17 by Sevej.

More
01 Nov 2016 23:29 #237326 by hotseatgames
Played two rounds of Conan with a friend of mine tonight. Both times we did a scenario that just involves Conan himself. Conan has to find 1 of 5 priests in a tavern in order to break a curse. The Overlord (me) gets to place the tokens down and determine which one of them is the priest that can break the curse. Of course I made it the hardest priest to reach...

The first time, he was Conan the Mercenary, and I kicked his ass. The second time, he was Conan the Wanderer, and only lost because he left the tavern after having dealt with 4 of the 5 priests. I think if a player chooses a Conan who doesn't have the Circular Strike skill, which lets him apply unspent damage to other enemies in the same area, he is at a great disadvantage.

I like the game so far, but this weekend I'll get to play with more players, hopefully. Setup is a bit of a drag due to there being SO many pieces and parts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat, Frohike, JEM

More
02 Nov 2016 08:18 #237329 by JEM

Michael Barnes wrote: Well, I will say this for The Others. It's better than Fireteam Zero.

"Other" than that, it's another co-op monster bash like we see come out about 20 times a year. Zombicide Black Plague is way better on every level.

I guess the difference is that this one has a setting/theme straight out of "edgy" horror circa 1994. There is even a 1990s goth girl with a whip. WOO HA. EDGY. You can practically hear My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult the whole game.

There is one almost brilliant idea on how the missions are structured. There's a kind of halfway point where you actually have two objectives and you sort of have to choose to go one way or the other. That's pretty neat. And breaking up the bad guy player's turn into sort of selective interrupts is pretty smart.

But it's pretty much junk. One of those "so what" games that has virtually nothing new or interesting to offer. A perfect embodiment of how there is just too much repetitive crap on the market today.

Weird, it isn't anything remotely like Zombicide in my experience, though I've seen you and heard some podcaster say it. In Zombicide you're playing against some dice and card mechanisms in a struggle for survival, in The Others, you're competing against another player to achieve victory on a battlefield. I don't see it as an adventure game at all, it's an abstract strategy game that borrows more from chess than it does from Heroquest or anything like that. And like chess, I think this might actually be best played with two players- one on one. As a competitive game, it's tight considering the exploding dice.

The setting is mid-90s horror RPG junk, the cheesecake factor is ridiculous (see also Black Plague) and the game is highly abstract. Between this and Blood Rage it's becoming clear to me that Eric Lang is perfecting the art of surgically removing all the soul from his games until nothing but a hollow, abstract shell remains.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, wadenels

More
02 Nov 2016 09:08 - 02 Nov 2016 09:09 #237341 by charlest

Sevej wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: "Other" than that, it's another co-op monster bash like we see come out about 20 times a year. Zombicide Black Plague is way better on every level.

Barnes, have you checked Project Elite? It's also co op monster bash but utilizes real time dice mechanism like the Escape games. But the most interesting thing for me is that the monsters are weak. It's more like Deathwatch Overkill, unlike most games of this genre which have *gasp* hit points.

I know you were asking Barnes, but I just reviewed Project ELITE.

boardgamegeek.com/article/24103906

Most of the chaff doesn't have more than one hit point, but the bigger guys do.
Last edit: 02 Nov 2016 09:09 by charlest.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Sevej

More
02 Nov 2016 10:01 #237351 by Colorcrayons
I am veering away from games that portray women in such a light, since I want my girl to grow up knowing she is worth more than tits and ass.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Mr. White, Black Barney, Josh Look, Frohike, JEM, Varys

More
02 Nov 2016 16:09 #237370 by Black Barney
that would have been so money if you ended that with ".....unlike her mother."

but yeah, good for you and all that (as a father of a beautiful little girl as well)

#feminism
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, Colorcrayons

More
02 Nov 2016 20:20 #237389 by wadenels
Got around to a 2P learning game of Attack! Deluxe. Probably old hat to a lot of you but I hadn't played it before. It's good. Probably really good. It isn't as light as Risk, and not as rich as Axis & Allies, but I like the place it occupies in between. It plays faster than A&A while still giving a good "war in that era" feel. It's also more accessible than A&A and that means I have a better chance of getting it played. The setting does absolutely nothing for my wife, yet she enjoyed it quite a bit. That's been sort of my litmus test for games like this. It's a keeper, at least for now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
02 Nov 2016 23:52 #237392 by Sevej

charlest wrote:

Sevej wrote:

I know you were asking Barnes, but I just reviewed Project ELITE.

boardgamegeek.com/article/24103906

Most of the chaff doesn't have more than one hit point, but the bigger guys do.

Interesting points. I'm especially surprised that you find it flatten out due to the repetitive, real time action... just like XCOM.

More
03 Nov 2016 01:35 #237395 by Grudunza
Played my first solo game of Feast for Odin. Kinda loved it. I've never really cared too much for Agricola and Rosenberg's other similar games, but I really like this system and the puzzley aspect of it. Doubt I'll ever want to play it with the full 4 players, but 1-3 should be great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frohike, JEM

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.278 seconds