October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BOARD GAME(s) have you been playing?

More
18 Nov 2016 02:22 #238735 by Vlad
I have a Malifaux game set up for tomorrow.
Couple of months ago, I played all of the scenarios in the starter set and one complete game, with bigger teams.
Initially, I liked it a lot, but my enthusiasm started to wane after the big game, because it took us like 3,5 hours to get through it. Also, it kind of started to remind me of Earth Reborn in terms of disparity between actual mechanics and what they're supposed to represent. In Earth Reborn, I was more concerned with my bits&chits than the miniatures and their positioning. In Malifaux, I spent a lot more time playing cards than moving my guys and making pew-pew sounds.
Nevertheless, I'm going to give it another shot with the same opponent and the same teams.
Does anyone here has any experience with it? Should it take that much time or we're dumb?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2016 08:22 #238741 by hotseatgames
I looked at Malifaux. Then I saw there were no dice. The end.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, Frohike

More
18 Nov 2016 13:00 - 18 Nov 2016 13:01 #238782 by Vlad

hotseatgames wrote: I looked at Malifaux. Then I saw there were no dice. The end.

Obviously, you are not a golfer.
Last edit: 18 Nov 2016 13:01 by Vlad.

More
19 Nov 2016 09:51 #238823 by Da Bid Dabid
After initially playing Tuesday there was enough desire for more Star Trek: Ascendancy that I got it back to the table last night. We had one new player who wasn't in the first game, no one was playing the race they played last time.

I won as Romulans by maximizing blocking and advanced cloaking. The turn Klingons and I got to 5 Ascendancy the Klingons had gone first and were holding 5 systems, I had 4. Two fleets advanced warped into Klingon worlds and razed them, and a web of blocking ships prevented the Feds from interfering with my victory. The map was way different than the first time we played, we actually got all the system on the table. 3 of my initial warp lanes went to phenomena and I struggled all game to hold more than 2 research nodes. I think the Fed player, who was the rookie, was a bit less focused due to never playing and kinda learning the mechanics as they played. He had a ridiculous amount of research and had he played before instead of going all projects we would've had formidable Fed warships to deal with.

Can't wait till try the Feds now, it'll prolly never happen cause we go random and I want to try them out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Msample, JEM

More
19 Nov 2016 15:35 #238826 by scrumpyjack
Finally got to try Commands and Colors: Ancients with a friend of mine. He's really into Classical history and warfare so I figured it would be a good starting place for us before we try out some of my heavier war games. After I briefly explained how the command cards worked we jumped right in to the tutorial battle and figured stuff out. The player aids were very handy and by the end we felt that we had a pretty good handle on the rules. We learned the importance of leaders and keeping units together, and I found the card management aspect of the game fascinating. Overall he said he really enjoyed it and we're both excited to try out more of the complex scenarios.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Frohike, JEM

More
19 Nov 2016 20:36 - 19 Nov 2016 20:42 #238827 by DukeofChutney
I played boardgames this weekend and they were fun!

Imperial Assault - we played a raid on a spice den scenario, the rebels won largely due to my incompetence.

San Juan - picked this up in a trade, its great, definitely prefer it to Race, possibly to Glory to Rome. It's a really satisfying game to play and much better than the boardgame that inspired it. I tried to build a coffee empire and came in second.

The Networks - this is a satirical light euro game about running a TV network like HBO, you spend money each round to buy shows, hire stars and place adverts. It has comical art and cynical names for its shows etc. I really dug this game , mostly because of the humour but the euro underneath is pretty solid and not very complex. I mostly hosted bad comedies on my sports channel and came in last.

Codex - This is a David Sirlin game. I generally dislike Mr Sirlins games because he seems to spend his time trying to prove hes better than other game designers by redoing their games 'fixing' them. However, despite codex being Sirlins attempt to one up magic, it's excellent mostly because it is magic. You have the buy cards when you want em mechanic from mage wars to deck build on the fly, and then you have a few new things. You can upgrade your tech allowing you to buy higher tech cards, you have three sub factions within each faction and you have to focus on one, you have heros and buildings and generally quite a few options for each turn on top of your usual magic fare. I'm told its quite similar to magic EDH. Unlike most of the FFG attempts at CCGs/LCGs Sirlin has retained magics resource ramp and so the tempo and build up of the game. Mostly what made the game good was the factions, one game was won by a rampaging land octopus, and one faction has a fantasy traffic cop and a tax collector for units.
Last edit: 19 Nov 2016 20:42 by DukeofChutney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, JEM

More
19 Nov 2016 21:18 - 19 Nov 2016 21:20 #238828 by RobertB
A coworker was really dying to play a game of Salem , a deduction game that works best with seven. After much effort he got his seven players, and we played it this afternoon.

Salem lasts four turns, and each turn you get to pick which jailed townsfolk are actually witches, using the clues that each player gives out during the turn. Wrong guesses penalize you, and the player with the fewest penalty points wins the game. However, the early turns are based on little more than guesswork. By the third turn you should be pretty close to solving the game's puzzle, and by the last turn you will have solved it. The problem is that if your early guesses are wrong, you'll lose, and AFAICT there is no way to avoid guessing on the early turns. The winner guessed pretty close at the start, and got two penalty points. Last place guessed poorly, and got twelve points. I don't mind (too much, anyway) games that punish you for stupid moves at the start. This game punishes you for wrong guesses at the start, and you can't recover from it. I'd play it again, because I like Sudoku in small doses, and my friend likes the game a lot. But I wouldn't ask to play it.

Afterwards we played three games of Unspeakable Words. It's a press-your-luck word game, with a Cthulhu theme, that plays pretty fast. I'd buy a copy, if the thought of buying a $50 filler game didn't freak me out,
Last edit: 19 Nov 2016 21:20 by RobertB.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
19 Nov 2016 21:32 #238830 by barrowdown

RobertB wrote: Afterwards we played three games of Unspeakable Words. It's a press-your-luck word game, with a Cthulhu theme, that plays pretty fast. I'd buy a copy, if the thought of buying a $50 filler game didn't freak me out,

I have a copy of the original edition sans figures that I'd let go for cheap if you really want a copy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
19 Nov 2016 21:47 #238831 by RobertB
barrowdown wrote:

I have a copy of the original edition sans figures that I'd let go for cheap if you really want a copy.

The friend who owns the game has a couple of extra copies as well, and I could cadge one off of him. But I appreciate the offer!

More
20 Nov 2016 14:45 - 20 Nov 2016 14:45 #238832 by mads b.
I've been playing a few games of Arkham Horror: The Card Game. I just have the core set and I've only played the first story in the campaign, but so far I like it. I've tried with both two investigators and just one, and so far I prefer the latter. Maybe I just chose the wrong dudes (m/f) for synergi (Ronald and Agnes), but for me it was simply easier to focus on the story with just one investigator. (Obviously this wouldn't be a problem if I wasn't soloing).

The game packs a lot of narrative, a few nasty surprises (yes, some of them even work if you know they're coming) and I've had two very tight endings with the entire game being down to one roll of the dice ... or rather, one draw from the chaos bag. I have yet to see how much impact deck building during the campaign will have, but with a deck of only 30-something cards, I guess that even adding a few cards can make quite a difference.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2016 14:45 by mads b..
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames, Frohike, Egg Shen, aaxiom, JEM, Vlad

More
20 Nov 2016 15:54 #238833 by southernman
Gaming with my two other AT gamers today. First up my favourite train/mining/market game Silverton, played a medium game to $8000 and after a muddled start by me from Denver I managed to build across to the untainted Salt Lake City market (i.e. most prices were very high) and after a lucky (needed) roll on my snow plough I just managed to ship enough coal and lumber to pass $8000 while the early and mid game leader just came short shipping his accumulated silver and copper.
Next up was our first play of Plaid Hat's City of Remants that I got in a recent BGG math trade, it's a DoaM semi deckbuilder board game with all four gangs (decks) having a different theme and it surprised as as it had a lot in it, we all liked it and it plays well for three so should see more table time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Turek, ChristopherMD, Frohike, aaxiom, JEM

More
20 Nov 2016 17:20 - 20 Nov 2016 17:36 #238834 by wkover
Yesterday I played The Grifters and Castles of Mad King Ludwig. Second play of both, and I don't like either - even if I won Grifters both times. There are lots of reasons why I don't like Ludwig, but one of them is that - to do well - you have to spend quality AP time staring at everyone's board to determine how they might value the rooms that you're forced to put up for sale. No thanks.

I also taught Welcome to the Dungeon to three new players, and they all enjoyed it despite their initial trepidation. Even the owner of Grifters thought it was the better game.

Related reflections on my gaming life: (spoilered to let you avoid my ramblings)

Warning: Spoiler!

Anyway, my family and I will be starting the new Mummy's Mask pathfinder campaign on Wednesday, when the family returns home for Thanksgiving. Score.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2016 17:36 by wkover.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Msample, Mr. White, Frohike, sornars, JEM

More
20 Nov 2016 19:27 - 20 Nov 2016 19:28 #238835 by KingPut
Wkover - Luckily it's only a 15 minute drive for me now so I didn't mind bring Queen Put over for 1 game of TtR PA and then we were off. Maybe next time we'll stick around for 2 games but hopefully I don't have to play TtR again for another year.
Last edit: 20 Nov 2016 19:28 by KingPut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wkover

More
20 Nov 2016 20:16 - 20 Nov 2016 20:16 #238836 by Cranberries
Last edit: 20 Nov 2016 20:16 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DukeofChutney

More
21 Nov 2016 04:12 #238838 by Hex Sinister
Had a close game of Mage Wars: Paladin vs. Siren. Things weren't going so well for the sexy siren after some errors on her part. One big mistake was to dispel my magic boots, which make me unmovable, as opposed to destroying my gauntlets which make my powerful shield immune to destruction. Since she only had two dispels my shield was safe. Second, she didn't have enough minions to protect her so I moved my knights and myself through her prickly sea urchin beds and quickly decapitated her mermaid spearman and nyxie familiar. Even though I have around 15 damage, the Siren is surrounded. I have a magic archer on a hill doing 6 dice each round and I have a spell in my book that will allow her to attack twice. I'm talking a little shit at this point, asking for quarter.

So the siren casts a giant tsunami AOE in the zone, which I thought was nuts. I put up my shield but it fails and I'm pushed back into the next zone into more urchin beds for extra damage. That's 4 dice from spell, 3 more from urchins. Same with my poor knight but he gets lucky and is left with 1hp. In a tragic but hilarious turn, the Siren is also carried away into our zone. It's not finished yet because the spell chains across the board until it hits the end. So with more shit rolls I'm washed back another zone and take more damage, along with the Siren. The knight doesn't get pushed back this time. Repeat. We both get hurled through the waves to the next area and not only does the water beat me but I'm smashed into the wall for another 3 dice damage. Now I have fucking 3 hp left!

Next round and she has inish... BUT she's stunned by my archer of light. She quick-casts a blast on me but if she rolls a 6- she fizzles. It's a 9! Ocean spray gushes at me but I still have that trusty shield. A roll of 7+ will save me and I get it! Holy shit. I proceed to spam heals on myself while the knight and archer put wounds in her. Fuming, she teleports back a square and then runs to the safety of her shallow waters. I advance forward blasting her with light while the archer attacks twice (12 dice!) for the victory. It was a dope battle.

In retrospect, destroying the boots (which would have made me immune to the tsunami) was alright. That fucking shield ended up saving me at the last, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, scrumpyjack

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.077 seconds