Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 25 May 2018 09:42 #274044

Hold up- am I reading this right that they ran a SECOND campaign to raise equity to get the game made???????

And it was initially funded almost TWO YEARS ago?

Ha ha ha ha ha!
  • Michael Barnes
  • Mountebank
  • HYPOCRITE
  • Thank you received: 7008
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 25 May 2018 09:51 #274048

Wow. Just, wow.
  • hotseatgames
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2026

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 25 May 2018 09:52 #274050

gotta Kick those Suckers.
  • Shellhead
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3233

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 25 May 2018 11:18 #274061

Legomancer wrote:
So it looks like the company that raised $722,000 for an Evil Dead 2 board game because "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" has taken that money and shut up. They also got $220,000 for a similarly no-show Terminator game.

They raked in a cool million despite having produced zero board games in the past (and in the present, I guess) because nerds can't help themselves when it comes to shit from their childhoods. Will anyone learn from this when some fly-by-night company that somehow got the board game rights to Escape from New York or Fraggle Rock or some shit shows up with beautiful sculpts of Gobo and Boober? I'm guessing no.

Think with your ENTIRE brain, nerds, not just the part that fires off when you see a thing you like.

TSR already has an excellent Escape from New York game -- probably won't go over to well due to the fact that it has a paper mat, but it is out there and people who are a fan of Snake Plissken should track it down.
  • Space Ghost
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 786

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 25 May 2018 11:22 #274062

Michael Barnes wrote:
Hold up- am I reading this right that they ran a SECOND campaign to raise equity to get the game made???????

Ha ha ha ha ha!

It's not a Kickstarter, they're actually trying to raise equity with people buying into shares of the company. They're valuing themselves at 5 million, despite the fact they have no product or assets. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in this hobby. No one is really falling for it though and this company is going under.
  • charlest
  • D10
  • Thank you received: 2014
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 25 May 2018 11:36 #274063

charlest wrote:
Michael Barnes wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha!

It's not a Kickstarter, they're actually trying to raise equity with people buying into shares of the company. They're valuing themselves at 5 million, despite the fact they have no product or assets. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in this hobby. No one is really falling for it though and this company is going under.

This is an American company, valuing itself at $5M, selling equity via a Kickstarter IPO? A guy at the SEC just sat upright in his chair, cold shiver bolting down his spine, he doesn't know why.

Link please. I'd love to see the 40 page disclaimer on this one.

In the Project Risks section of the page -- "we're pretty damn sure this is illegal as hell."

That said, if they open a KS on a Fraggle Rock game, I'm in, sight unseen.

Looked up the Evil Dead 2 KS and it looks like a game to me. Stet, all appears to be back under control.
  • Sagrilarus
  • D12
  • Thank you received: 3158
Last Edit: 25 May 2018 11:39 by Sagrilarus.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 25 May 2018 11:54 #274066

Did somebody say Fraggle Rock!?!

*No longer able to think rationally. Lays out Social Security and bank account numbers for any passerby to take while I lay in a puddle of my own drool.*

The Trash Heap has spoken! Nyaaaaaaaah!
  • Colorcrayons
  • D8
  • FrancoTrash toujours
  • Thank you received: 1154

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY? 25 May 2018 13:01 #274067

charlest wrote:
Michael Barnes wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Best part is that, according to folks over on BGG, they realized their Kickstarter money as revenue back in 2016 and also claim they have no liabilities related to those Kickstarters, despite having the published policy of not recognizing revenue until a product is delivered. I don't blame them for playing the "Kickstarter is not a store" game with their finances when trying to get new investors, but sure would hate to be a backer of this...

In other news, I'm sensing market demand and am starting work on getting the board game rights for Fraggle Rock...could almost do something "Vast" style.
  • cdennett
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D6
  • Thank you received: 200
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest
Time to create page: 0.418 seconds