October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
12 Mar 2012 23:32 #119045 by Notahandle
Two-thirds of the games I've backed have been previously released and reviewed.
(And the quality of all of them is better than VPG.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2012 00:52 - 13 Mar 2012 00:53 #119059 by red black
Glad you enjoy your KS games.. for me, I'll pass each and every time. If I decide I really want a previously released game that received good reviews (such as the black box version of Glory to Rome) then I'll get it from CSI for less than the KS price and I'll package it with other games to reduce shipping cost.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2012 00:53 by red black.

More
13 Mar 2012 02:05 #119066 by cdennett
The only projects I've backed in the last couple of months is the Double Fine Adventure and Order of the Stick reprint (even though I already own all the books). I'm sitting firmly on the fence for Agents of Smersh and Gunship, but will probably cave in at the end of the drive.

And Red Black, any game with the "Game Salute" seal will not be available from an online retailer (other than Game Salute itself, which sells for MSRP), so it's actually cheaper to KickStart it then wait and buy it later. Still have the risk of buying a shelf-toad, of course.

More
13 Mar 2012 03:35 - 13 Mar 2012 03:36 #119076 by red black

cdennett wrote: And Red Black, any game with the "Game Salute" seal will not be available from an online retailer (other than Game Salute itself, which sells for MSRP), so it's actually cheaper to KickStart it then wait and buy it later. Still have the risk of buying a shelf-toad, of course.

Game Salute would need to sell an outstanding game before I'd be willing to pay MSRP. I could be mistaken but their titles don't seem to be that.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2012 03:36 by red black.

More
13 Mar 2012 21:06 #119183 by Notahandle
red black wrote:
" ...I'll get it from CSI for less than the KS price and I'll package it with other games to reduce shipping cost."
Being in England I can certainly understand the desire to reduce postal charges! Some charge $50 shipping which seems ridiculous when The Ares Project, with a packed box, only cost $24 to ship. Those ones I definitely pass on (looking at you SMERSH). The $20 shipping ones seem closer to reality.

But with the more chancy ones, I'm tending to go down the 'lots of extras' route. Presumably you don't care about the Kickstarter exclusives, but what about the extras that will be sold separately at a later date (e.g. D-Day Dice, Gunship)?

I seem to be getting the impression that Game Salute are not well thought of?

More
13 Mar 2012 22:02 - 13 Mar 2012 22:12 #119192 by red black

Notahandle wrote: red black wrote:
" ...I'll get it from CSI for less than the KS price and I'll package it with other games to reduce shipping cost."
Being in England I can certainly understand the desire to reduce postal charges! Some charge $50 shipping which seems ridiculous when The Ares Project, with a packed box, only cost $24 to ship. Those ones I definitely pass on (looking at you SMERSH). The $20 shipping ones seem closer to reality.

But with the more chancy ones, I'm tending to go down the 'lots of extras' route. Presumably you don't care about the Kickstarter exclusives, but what about the extras that will be sold separately at a later date (e.g. D-Day Dice, Gunship)?

I seem to be getting the impression that Game Salute are not well thought of?

They look like a collection of indie titles (mostly self published, first or second games from the various designers) that would benefit from being published by an established company or weeded out. Why pay MSRP when I could find a similar game for less money. Eminent Domain is one of the more recognizable titles. I'd rather play Dominion for $27 than ED for $40.

Edit: You're right, I'm not generally a fan of promos. If I'm interested in promos I'd rather get them at the BGG store. I'm a discount shopper. Promos won't entice me to pre-order. Discounts might.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2012 22:12 by red black.

More
13 Mar 2012 22:37 - 13 Mar 2012 22:38 #119195 by Notahandle
Actually I do favour indie titles. Though with Kickstarter I suppose I'm preferring established indies, if that makes sense. And if I already have something similar then I pass.

If you're tempted by discounts, then maybe you should look upon 'extras that will be sold separately at a later date' as a discount?
Last edit: 13 Mar 2012 22:38 by Notahandle.

More
14 Mar 2012 00:06 #119203 by red black
I prefer to have the option to buy promos which I know to be non-essential to the game. I don't buy promos for every game. Discounts are the priority.

More
27 Mar 2012 06:30 #120734 by cdennett
Hopped off the fence and backed Agents of Smersh (funded) and Gunship: First Strike (5 days left). I have to admit, I love the Gunship adds on this site stating "100% Pure Ameritrash!" That's some targeted marketing for yah.

More
06 Apr 2012 14:09 - 06 Apr 2012 14:10 #121964 by Notahandle
Didn't seem worth specifically mentioning it here when I cancelled my Gunship: First Strike pledge a week or two ago. I didn't like the way it was changing, with anything a TOSser suggested being added, and with the likelihood of many expansions altering the existing game. And with most of the campaign design looking to be done on TOS, it promises to end up bearing slight resemblance to what attracted me to it in the first place.

And the main reason for my post is that my pledge makes this fully funded:-
Rithmomachia: the Philosopher's Game Kickstarter page.
Article by Peter Mebben.
Transcription of William Fulke's translation.1563
Book: Ann E. Moyer, The Philosopher's Game, University of Michigan, 2001.
Yeah, I know, abstract in spades and so very much the opposite of AT!
Last edit: 06 Apr 2012 14:10 by Notahandle.

More
09 Apr 2012 20:58 #122304 by Notahandle
Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack.
Lego mecha. Pledged because I want to read the rules. And that's it.
(I really don't want to get into another game system that'll require several tubs of components...) ;)

More
23 Apr 2012 17:27 #123592 by jeb
If I had a data-capable phone I would get this in a second (photo linked to KS page):

File Attachment:

$100k goal, they have raised > $6M.

More
23 Apr 2012 17:42 #123593 by SuperflyPete
I wantses me PREEEESHIOS

I am backing this.

More
23 Apr 2012 19:22 #123601 by Sagrilarus
eInk watches have been around for years. Google can hook you up with a bunch of options.

S.

More
02 May 2012 14:53 - 02 May 2012 14:55 #124425 by Last Alchemist
Backed the second Sentinels of the Multiverse expansion, this time the guys at Greater than Games worked with Richard Launius to bring out some cool new heroes/villains.

Kickstarter Page is Here!

I have been loving me some SotM ever since I picked it up shortly after GenCon last year, and the first expansion was the only I have ever backed on KS. If you want a game that tells a story while you play (that isn't a storytelling game, some imagination required) then this is the game for you.

I'm not terribly pleased about having to spend money within the first year to get upgraded components for the game, but I figured they would need to do that at some point anyway. Also kicked in for the extra hero they are doing as one of their stretch rewards.

More people need to back this one, because dammit I want a new villain deck included.

15 Days to go. Don't be left out, here is your chance to get in on the craze that is sweeping the nation.

Dan
Last edit: 02 May 2012 14:55 by Last Alchemist.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.652 seconds