October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Games Workshop--what are you buying, selling, playing, or painting?

More
28 Sep 2018 09:29 #282435 by Michael Barnes
Re: Eldar/Asuryani/Aeldari...I really want to do an Alaitoc KT, but they are in a terrible state in the rules. They don’t have any Aspect Warriors. It’s all Guardians (plain and Storm), Rangers, and Dire Avengers. I’m not doing resin anything. And only the Dire Avengers are really viable in play. I’ll probably just do Guardians and DAs anyway, maybe they’ll get a cool commander or something.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2018 09:35 #282437 by the_jake_1973

Michael Barnes wrote: Re: Eldar/Asuryani/Aeldari...I really want to do an Alaitoc KT, but they are in a terrible state in the rules. They don’t have any Aspect Warriors. It’s all Guardians (plain and Storm), Rangers, and Dire Avengers. I’m not doing resin anything. And only the Dire Avengers are really viable in play. I’ll probably just do Guardians and DAs anyway, maybe they’ll get a cool commander or something.

I have a small craftworld army painted that I was hoping to make use of, but the Eldar army list is total pants right now. I am really hoping for an epansion for them, but I fear it may rely on plastic aspects being produced. I don't know where on the GW roadmap that is.

More
28 Sep 2018 11:03 #282444 by Michael Barnes
It’s funny how in the KT rulebook it’s all like “here’s kill Team Mordelai! And the Slicing Noose! OMG Krogskull’s Boyz! And over there is a random assortment of four Asuryani models that don’t appear to belong to any team.”

IF they bring in light vehicles I think that would really help...then they’d get jetbikes and walkers. It also wouldn’t have killed them to put Wraithguard in there- they could be classed about the same as Sicarians or Stealh Suits.

I don’t care about tier lists and all of that, but it is almost like this:

1) The 14 factions that are not Asuryani
2) Asuryani

More
28 Sep 2018 19:36 #282456 by Sevej
Eldar is complicated. Really. When you think about it, there's plethora of theme. You have the wraiths, of 3 different sizes. Then you have bikes, 3 types. Then you have god-knows-how-many kinds of aspect warrior. Then a bunch of guardians, which is actually pretty complete on its own, with troops, artillery, fast attack, etc. Then all the different psykers: spiritseers, warlocks, and farseers. And the lack of plastic stuff is mindboggling.

Tau, on the other hand, is much more well directed, with lots of plastic support.

More
28 Sep 2018 21:02 #282462 by Smeagol
Kill team has replaced anybody in my 25 year old GW hardcore game clubs desire to play full forty k..

Big faq drop today, which I thnk is great for the comppetitive scene, only makes the game seeem worse and nobody wants to lay aga8nst random titans in regular forty k that I know.

If you enjoy that stuff good for you, nobody I know does , so it’s all kill team.

We have an age of sigmar escalation league gong. I am painting nighthaunt from starter sets I traded for using the special green wash and technical basing paints. Quick and simple ghost army.

I am also doing maggotkin age of sigmar escalation, putting a bit more effort but then army painter quick shade medium to get them done, works great for nurgle.

Impulse bought the nurgle bloodbowl team at the local store, finally going to play nurgle in blood bowl after years of halflings, dwarves, and tomb kings. I am neck deep in nurgle in 40k, chaos marines and demons so this has been a long time coming.

Would like to paint the kill team or rogue trader terrain, But so little time, so I’m glad it came colored.

Now staring at gellarpox.

More
28 Sep 2018 21:49 #282464 by Michael Barnes
I am seriously on the verge of selling off all my codexes and non-Kill Team stuff. I just can’t see the point of full 40k when KT does what I want from it and I can go over to AOS if I want big army action that isn’t as complicated.

The only thing is that I really love a lot of the non-KT stuff I have like my AM motor pool, my Plagueburst Crawlers, my big fucking Tyranids army...but when KT is just such a better -game-...and I also kind of want to hold out to see how far they take KT. And if KT turns out to be the basis for 9th edition...

More
29 Sep 2018 08:32 #282469 by GorillaGrody

Michael Barnes wrote: Mixing Gellerpox with DG is ILLEGAL. Something about the keywords doesn’t match up or something despite “Nurgle”.

That's unhappy for me. I hate competitive listbuilders, but I love making fluffy lists, and painting towards theme. The one issue I have with Kill Team is how limiting it is. Harlequins are just...Players, that's it. Consequently, they're very boring to play, and a bit underpowered.

More
29 Sep 2018 09:22 #282471 by Michael Barnes
Commanders is going to mix that up. Harlies will almost definitely get Death Jesters and Solitaires. I believe every faction will get two- Librarians, Commissars, Overlords, Farseers, etc.

More
29 Sep 2018 14:46 #282488 by stormseeker75
Still trying to sell this Soul Wars set I've got. Someone should bu it. Barnes, you've still got at least one kidney. Get on this.

More
05 Oct 2018 08:28 - 05 Oct 2018 08:59 #282731 by Mr. White
Underworlds -
This game gets better and better with each play. I prefer casual play (as there are many solid ways to do this), but competitive play is fine too. Many years ago, in my AHQ days, I dreamed of playing AHQ campaigns that would see experienced parties of heroes in a dungeon against each other. That's what this is. Parties exploring the Mirrored City in head to head combat. The design is so simple that house rules are incredibly easy. I've designed mini 'narrative' and map based campaigns that add to the tale of Underworlds so it's not just one off battles. I also print off the warscrolls and use Underworlds models for AoS Skirmish. Between Underworlds and WHQ I've got more than enough heroes and models for Skirmish that I shouldn't have ever bought AoS models off the shelf. I'm not sure how long this game can last before bloat sets in, but I'm in for the ride with full confidence I can use the models in Skirmish games once Underworlds itself dries up. Stoked for the Troggoth Warband.

Blitz Bowl -
Necro17...AoS WHQ...these reboots are better than their original titles from the 90s. Unfortunately, GW was in a tough spot with BB. In the years it was oop, its fanbase grew. Had GW come out with BB16 and it too was rebooted with new rules, there would have been too much gnashing of teeth. Thankfully, GW has allowed a lot of the BB16 would be updates to still be gamed in Blitz Bowl. I just bought a second copy to run 4 player leagues on my kitchen table. Being able to play 2-3 games in a night works out for myself and the busy dads in the area. The fact that it only requires a single sprue per team is genius. I can crank out 6 models easily, and like Underworlds, that small scope allows me to paint and play with teams/warbands I would normally have passed on. At only 6 I'm excited for each release, not skipping out because I don't want to add another 16 models to the queue. Look, Blood Bowl proper will always be on my shelf, but right now it's more of a 'back of the closet' title. Blitz Bowl is my fantasy football fix for the foreseeable future. James Hewitt was one of the best developers GW brought on board in recent years. Too bad he left, but fortunately he's on a short leash and still helping out the folks in Nottingham. I'd like to continue to see Blitz Bowl card support for teams as GW releases their BB16 versions.

Here's some recent models:

This last one was for a jousting event a local organizer put together.

Oh....I'm selling a sweet FEC army and some khorne models. Here's a little write-up I did for my FEC:

thepit198.files.wordpress.com/2018/10/cotbd-two-sheet.pdf
Last edit: 05 Oct 2018 08:59 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, barrowdown

More
05 Oct 2018 09:18 #282737 by Shellhead
I'm unemployed and I still don't have time to finish painting Space Hulk. Maybe next month.

More
05 Oct 2018 10:10 #282744 by Colorcrayons

Mr. White wrote: Blitz Bowl is my fantasy football fix for the foreseeable future. James Hewitt was one of the best developers GW brought on board in recent years. Too bad he left, but fortunately he's on a short leash and still helping out the folks in Nottingham. I'd like to continue to see Blitz Bowl card support for teams as GW releases their BB16 versions.

Amen to that.

I really hope for continued support for Blitz Bowl too. Some undead would be great to play when they are released. But since nurgle has been released, if they don't get support next WD, that may be a sign of things to come.

More
05 Oct 2018 11:20 #282753 by Michael Barnes
We should do a Blitz Bowl sprue swap or something. I’d be up for that.

I’m painting Sicarian Infiltrators and Ruststalkers for Kill Team right now. Totally loving them. Really awesome models and very fun to paint. Trying to push my skill ceiling a bit with them and so far it’s paying off.

More
05 Oct 2018 12:06 #282760 by Mr. White

Shellhead wrote: I'm unemployed and I still don't have time to finish painting Space Hulk. Maybe next month.

I've actually been going through that game a little too. Pushing through with about 6-7 models a month. In hindsight, I wish I went with a far simpler color scheme. Maybe prime the whole brood grey or white and simply wash them. However, I wanted to go a bit classic on the look, so it's taking a bit of time. Well...and sanding off the molded bases to add the more thematic necromunda rounds...

The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
05 Oct 2018 12:12 #282761 by Colorcrayons

Michael Barnes wrote: We should do a Blitz Bowl sprue swap or something. I’d be up for that.

Me too. I'm sitting on a sprue of Dark Elves and Skaven that I'm dying to trade off.

I'm about to do a local trade for dwarves I hope, so that will leave goblins, elves and chaos.

Shipping a sprue shouldn't be that expensive, right?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.338 seconds