October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Games Workshop--what are you buying, selling, playing, or painting?

More
14 Mar 2019 12:57 #293814 by Gary Sax
And you even played with someone who bothered to paint their army!
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Mar 2019 15:19 #293904 by Da Bid Dabid
I sort of had a breakthrough moment with how to paint my plasma guns. Pretty happy how they came out.

Two models away from being fully painted at 500 points!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jackwraith, Sevej, birdman37, Hadik

More
15 Mar 2019 18:34 #293909 by GorillaGrody

Da Bid Dabid wrote: I sort of had a breakthrough moment with how to paint my plasma guns. Pretty happy how they came out.

Two models away from being fully painted at 500 points!

Can you tell me your secret? It's still one of my blind spots and those look great!

More
15 Mar 2019 19:19 #293912 by Da Bid Dabid
Sure. First read this article and look at the awesome images that help describe it. Mine is a bootleg lazy version of that.

massivevoodoo.blogspot.com/2010/07/paint...lood-angels-faq.html

My personal breakthrough came with really viewing the miniature and how light changes the highlights. Rather than just taking blue and painting it on the closest edges to the light source, it would obviously show up brighter on the shiny black helmet of my models, even if they were farther away, then the long great coat. It's all the highlights around the light source that actually make it look a bit glowy. Blue light on skin may not look blue, perhaps more grey when highlighting that portion of a model. All this is likely very obvious to some, but honestly I had always just highlighted around it with a non-changing standard gradient... and when you do that it looks way worse.

For these models in particular to highlight the plasma coil I just took a medium blue (VGC - magic blue), a sky blue (VGC - not sure which one), and a just off white (VMC - ivory). Started with the magic blue, and just slowly mixed and highlighted between the colors up ivory. When I was happy with that, I went back on the outside edge and did a little more magic blue around the whole thing and just over the edges where light would reflect. Then its just about studying those highlights I spoke of and adding a little bit of highlight here or there using whatever color seems to make sense, light doesn't bend around edges of the guns and such and just keep that in mind as you paint, imagine a little desk lamp coming internally from your model. At the end I went back with black and cleaned up the glowing spots a bit. I'm sure a more advanced painter would play with shadows as well as highlights. I'm a tabletop level painter and as soon as something looks good I move on and they looked good to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Hadik, GorillaGrody, Virabhadra

More
17 Mar 2019 12:39 #293945 by Hadik
Sunday morning magnetization.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
17 Mar 2019 12:40 #293946 by Gary Sax
Magnetized/interchangeable models are so cool.

More
17 Mar 2019 12:53 #293947 by Michael Barnes
I’ve nwver magnetized anything, but the Warlord Titans have spaces for magnets built right in. So the arm and carapace weapons can be changed without having to buy another model. You can just buy extra weapon sprues. Very nice.

More
18 Mar 2019 13:39 - 18 Mar 2019 13:41 #293992 by Virabhadra

Michael Barnes wrote: I’ve nwver magnetized anything, but the Warlord Titans have spaces for magnets built right in.

Very, very cool to hear that! I've magnetized a handful of older models and it has always involved irreparable damage to the kit - glad they aren't asking you to grab an X-Acto and go HAM on your $110 Warlord.

WYSIWYG looks cool, but it's a hell of a marketing tactic. The Tyranid Carnifex comes with three different heads, three carapaces, three tails, and five weapons for separate terminals. What is the point of super-gluing one Carnifex and leaving half of the plastic you paid for on sprues in the box? Especially when the rules change as quickly as they do...

(The huge wings on the newest Hive Tyrant model make him look like he's actually capable of flight, but I still like the dramatic angle of my old HT, whose wings I plucked off a toy dragon from the dollar store.)
Last edit: 18 Mar 2019 13:41 by Virabhadra.

More
18 Mar 2019 18:56 #294006 by Michael Barnes
I don’t know, I like having all of those extra parts. They go on eBay. I’ve made quite a bit of money selling my unused pieces rather than dumping them in a bits box. I keep anything that can be used for Gaslands, sell the rest.
When I’m through with building all my AT stuff (down to a Warlord, two Reavers, and a kit of Knights) I’m selling all the parts left over. Since the kits are meant for both Loyalist and Trader builds, there are a lot of armorials, heads, and other elements that go unused. And some weapons, because only the Warlords’ weapons and the Reavers’ carapace hardpoint have the magnet cutout. And I’m not countersinking them into the Warhound/Reaver arm joints.

The magnet spaces are odd. They are kind of an unadvertised thing, almost as if the sculptors just kind of snuck them into the mold. There is nothing in the instructions about using magnets, and nothing in the GW content online that mentions them. But sure enough, they are exactly the right size for a 5mm magnet. I do wish the other models had them, but I’ll take the courtesy of them being available at all.

More
19 Mar 2019 22:35 #294089 by Sevej
Since I don't play, so I never magnetize. If I really like the options, it's more likely to me to buy multiples of it. I sort of consider each minis to be an individual, so no part change. This dude got X. That's it.\

But yeah, if you're an active player, magnetizing helps immensely.

More
20 Mar 2019 19:10 #294146 by birdman37
We've fallen for Kill Team in a big way in this household, so now I've added a detachment of Ork Boyz to the painting queue. I'm testing out a potential colour scheme with the ladz from the cheap easy-assemble "pack of 4" sprue. Blocking is now done, and looks... OK. We'll see how it goes once I've added metallics, shaded and highlighted.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, Hadik

More
21 Mar 2019 10:31 #294174 by hotseatgames
I know they announced a 40k version of Gorechosen, but did they also announce a 40k version of Underworlds?

More
21 Mar 2019 10:57 #294177 by charlest
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
22 Mar 2019 05:25 #294224 by Matt Thrower
I really miss proper, old fashioned fantasy adventure miniatures. So I had a plan to use some of my old Mordheim figures to make up a proxy Underworlds warband.

I was going to go with the Darkoath Hunt, since the stats and the mix of figures are about right for a squishy human adventuring party. But I'd need one or two more figures to do it, so I looked them up on Ebay.

Having seen the prices, I'm now thinking I'm best off selling my remaining Mordheim figures.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3

More
24 Mar 2019 06:52 #294357 by Sevej
You'd better off getting some Frostgrave or Oathmark plastics. The Frostgrave soldier set (both male/female) is great.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds