October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

Games Workshop--what are you buying, selling, playing, or painting?

More
06 Oct 2018 00:27 - 06 Oct 2018 00:28 #282786 by Dr. Lao

Michael Barnes wrote: Mixing Gellerpox with DG is ILLEGAL. Something about the keywords doesn’t match up or something despite “Nurgle”.

I do not believe you are correct.

When you create your roster you pick 20 models that share a common Keyword (Nurgle). When you select your Kill Team you pick a 100 points which must include one Leader and all share the same Keyword (Nurgle).

But what you lose by picking Nurgle as your Keyword is access to the Death Guard specific Strategems.

So you could have a roster that consists of Harlequins and Wyches and field those as a Battle Forged Kill Team but you lose access to their specific strategems.
Last edit: 06 Oct 2018 00:28 by Dr. Lao.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2018 21:46 #282819 by Hadik
After months (and months) of buying building painting we finally got around to playing our first game of 8th edition... our first game of *real* 40k. It was fun. We squeezed into an open table section at the nearby GW store and squared off: AM v the Necrons... 500 pts.

The store manager got us under sail (he’s been offering to give us a teaching game) but after many bouts of Killteam it was all very natural. The set piece battle was my Russ against his barge and he came out on top. The rest was interesting but heavily tilted in his favor. His 15 year old brain had been absorbing his codex and selecting the right leader and strategizing this game for some time. He deserved it.

My 52 year old brain, however, was just happy to be along for the ride. “What are we doing?” “What do I need to roll?” I had some nice looking models on the table and for once I was doing more in the GW store than just shelling out money. And my Psyker kicked ass for a while. It was a hoot. The 15-year old was elated. It was a good day.

Also... everybody was super nice. The other players watched and helped and were friendly.

I’d like to get better at playing and will have to stick my nose into the books and watch some videos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, birdman37, GorillaGrody

More
09 Oct 2018 15:13 #282904 by rafcordero

Dr. Lao wrote: When you create your roster you pick 20 models that share a common Keyword (Nurgle). When you select your Kill Team you pick a 100 points which must include one Leader and all share the same Keyword (Nurgle).

Almost correct. If you're playing Open Play, you can do whatever you want. However, for a Matched Play game your Kill Team must be Battle Forged. To be Battle Forged, all models must share a Faction Keyword, not just a Keyword. Death Guard only have 1 Faction Keyword: Death Guard. Gellerpox only have 1 Faction Keyword: Gellerpox Mutants.

I've been playing a ton of Kill Team recently. I joined the official organized play at the local shop and am currently sitting pretty at 4-0. My team is Death Guard. Usually run a Plasma Leader, Heavy Blight Launcher, Demo Plague Spewer, Flail Zealot, and a motley crew of Poxwalkers. My last game was at 150 and I was able to use a second Flail and Launcher against Drukhari.

Kill Team is excellent. Like Barnes I'm thinking of culling my collection of plastic down. I may hold on to my Orks to have a 2000 point squad, but think the rest will go. I painted a Plague Burst Crawler when I had visions of running a full DG army but now maybe I'll just keep it for display or terrain since I love the paint job.

I'm going to grab some Necrons for a Kill Team next, and I've always wanted to paint Harlequins so now I have a great excuse.

Nightvault warbands are fun but I've got my eye on the Gitz coming this weekend. And Speed Freeks.

I basically only play non Games Workshop games begrudgingly these days, or because of review commitments.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
09 Oct 2018 15:36 #282906 by Space Ghost
With respect to Kill Team, are the models from the Shadow War Armageddon useable?

Also, is Necromunda worth keeping?

Basically, I'm deciding whether to go all in on Kill Team or not.

More
09 Oct 2018 15:40 #282907 by charlest

Space Ghost wrote: With respect to Kill Team, are the models from the Shadow War Armageddon useable?

Yes, both Ork and Space Marine scout squads would make fine Kill Teams. You may need to supplement them a tiny bit.

More
09 Oct 2018 16:01 #282911 by Michael Barnes
Scouts are OK but you will want some Marines to back them up. I think Primaris, even without Plasma and not much AP, are a better way to go. I have scouts but don’t run them, my Astartes team is five Space Wolves Reivers and two Intercessors with Stalker bolt rifles.

Orks are fun. But bear in mind they are really more choppy than shooty. The classic boyz kit works just fine. If you haven’t built it, you can actually get a Burna Boyz/Lootas Kit and make 5 Burnaz, 5 Lootas, and 5 Boyz. Everything is interchangeable.

Raf running two flails...he is totally the WAC dude at his shop I bet!

I don’t think Necromunda is worth keeping, TBH. Kill Team is so much better. It’s a tough call because I love Necromunda, I love the gangs and all...but it’s just outclassed now. I am keeping the terrain and tiles out of the box from my set because you can totally run KT games on them. Maybe those Tau Breachers will stand a chance on those tiles...

I keep waffling about seriously downsizing my 40k collection...problem is I love this stuff and I love having it. But do I need 3000 points of Tzeentch Daemons and 2500 of Tyranids? I have like Apocalypse-level forces here.

More
09 Oct 2018 16:05 #282912 by Space Ghost
Any chance for a Necromunda-Kill Team crossover (gangs going into Kill Team, obviously).

More
09 Oct 2018 16:17 #282914 by rafcordero

Michael Barnes wrote:
Raf running two flails...he is totally the WAC dude at his shop I bet!

Their nerf was needed...the difference between D2 and D1 was impactful. Still a great weapon, but doesn't feel as cheesy.

I'm worried I am the WAAC guy at the shop, though I don't mean to be. I was playing a Drukhari player in my last match and we had a nice scrum going in round 2. In round 3 I fell back with all my melee people, and when I explained that his Wyches now could only stand still or fall back, no charge, no ready, etc he got That Look and i was like 'oh shit'. At what point does "rule specificity" become WAAC?

More
09 Oct 2018 17:00 #282916 by Michael Barnes
Hey, rules is rules!

If there is a crossover, it would probably be a White Dwarf thing. Interestingly, Necromunda models are actually a little over scale.

You can totally run Escher as Drukhari or AM- just suss out what wargear matches up. Goliath can easily proxy for Heretic Astartes.

I played against a dude that did that with Escher, they were all guardsmen/scions and he painted them in Cadian colors. Pretty neat.

More
25 Oct 2018 11:55 #284660 by Mr. White
The following user(s) said Thank You: panzerattack, hotseatgames, Sevej, birdman37, Hadik, GorillaGrody

More
25 Oct 2018 13:15 #284670 by Disgustipater
I just started in a Necromunda Underhive campaign with 6 other people. I’m playing Orlock and just got my models primed and ready to paint.
My first game went poorly from a scenario standpoint, but my OOA guys got off very light.

I’ll probably get two or three games played in the next several days. We have both 2D and 3D tables available. Here’s a pic of one of the 3D tables:

The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr. White, lj1983, panzerattack, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, Sevej, birdman37, Hadik

More
25 Oct 2018 23:29 #284736 by Mr. White
My gut tells me the Blitz Bowl DE cards were more for marketing than support, but I hope to see nurgle and this amazing undead squad get Blitz rosters.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
26 Oct 2018 00:45 #284740 by Colorcrayons
I see a ghoul, 2 zambies, 3 skelliea and a mummy.

I'm guessing the mummy is a Blitzer. I wonder if everyone else is just linemen.

Regardless, I need these in blitz bowl.

More
26 Oct 2018 09:04 #284751 by Mr. White
Existing teams seem to follow their 3rd ed counterpart. That looks the same here, so I'm guessing this is one of two sprues in a team box. both sprues containing:

1 ghoul - runner
2 zombies - linemen
2 skeletons - linemen
1 mummy - blocker
1 wight - blitzer

And yes, I'm more excited to field these in Blitz Bowl than BB proper.

More
26 Oct 2018 09:32 #284756 by Mr. White
BB undead video, Troggoth Underworlds warband, and new AoS licensed boardgame revealed.

www.warhammer-community.com/2018/10/26/2...lgw-homepage-post-1/

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.359 seconds