October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What KICKSTARTER(S) are you BACKING and WHY?

More
29 Apr 2018 20:55 - 29 Apr 2018 20:56 #272217 by ratpfink
Occasional FAT/TWBG forum poster Unicron has his game No Motherland Without: North Korea 1953 - Present on kickstarter: www.kickstarter.com/projects/296650755/n...ject&term=motherland - that I've backed not just because I have playtested but because it's a good game.

Fans of Twilight Struggle or Labyrinth should check it out. It's a lighter, traditional CDG(cards played for ops or events, opponent events are triggered when you play for ops), plays in an hour or two. You feel terrible the whole time, in the good way due to the tension that there are three things you need to do to stave off disaster but you can only pick one of them.
Last edit: 29 Apr 2018 20:56 by ratpfink.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Frohike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2018 09:15 #274041 by Legomancer
So it looks like the company that raised $722,000 for an Evil Dead 2 board game because "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" has taken that money and shut up. They also got $220,000 for a similarly no-show Terminator game.

They raked in a cool million despite having produced zero board games in the past (and in the present, I guess) because nerds can't help themselves when it comes to shit from their childhoods. Will anyone learn from this when some fly-by-night company that somehow got the board game rights to Escape from New York or Fraggle Rock or some shit shows up with beautiful sculpts of Gobo and Boober? I'm guessing no.

Think with your ENTIRE brain, nerds, not just the part that fires off when you see a thing you like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, allismom3, ChristopherMD, Msample, Frohike, Colorcrayons, stoic

More
25 May 2018 09:42 #274044 by Michael Barnes
Hold up- am I reading this right that they ran a SECOND campaign to raise equity to get the game made???????

And it was initially funded almost TWO YEARS ago?

Ha ha ha ha ha!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 May 2018 09:51 #274048 by hotseatgames
Wow. Just, wow.

More
25 May 2018 09:52 #274050 by Shellhead
gotta Kick those Suckers.

More
25 May 2018 11:18 #274061 by Space Ghost

Legomancer wrote: So it looks like the company that raised $722,000 for an Evil Dead 2 board game because "SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!" has taken that money and shut up. They also got $220,000 for a similarly no-show Terminator game.

They raked in a cool million despite having produced zero board games in the past (and in the present, I guess) because nerds can't help themselves when it comes to shit from their childhoods. Will anyone learn from this when some fly-by-night company that somehow got the board game rights to Escape from New York or Fraggle Rock or some shit shows up with beautiful sculpts of Gobo and Boober? I'm guessing no.

Think with your ENTIRE brain, nerds, not just the part that fires off when you see a thing you like.

TSR already has an excellent Escape from New York game -- probably won't go over to well due to the fact that it has a paper mat, but it is out there and people who are a fan of Snake Plissken should track it down.

More
25 May 2018 11:22 #274062 by charlest

Michael Barnes wrote: Hold up- am I reading this right that they ran a SECOND campaign to raise equity to get the game made???????

Ha ha ha ha ha!

It's not a Kickstarter, they're actually trying to raise equity with people buying into shares of the company. They're valuing themselves at 5 million, despite the fact they have no product or assets. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in this hobby. No one is really falling for it though and this company is going under.

More
25 May 2018 11:36 - 25 May 2018 11:39 #274063 by Sagrilarus

charlest wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote: Hold up- am I reading this right that they ran a SECOND campaign to raise equity to get the game made???????

Ha ha ha ha ha!

It's not a Kickstarter, they're actually trying to raise equity with people buying into shares of the company. They're valuing themselves at 5 million, despite the fact they have no product or assets. It's one of the most ridiculous things I've seen in this hobby. No one is really falling for it though and this company is going under.

This is an American company, valuing itself at $5M, selling equity via a Kickstarter IPO? A guy at the SEC just sat upright in his chair, cold shiver bolting down his spine, he doesn't know why.

Link please. I'd love to see the 40 page disclaimer on this one.

In the Project Risks section of the page -- "we're pretty damn sure this is illegal as hell."

That said, if they open a KS on a Fraggle Rock game, I'm in, sight unseen.

Looked up the Evil Dead 2 KS and it looks like a game to me. Stet, all appears to be back under control.
Last edit: 25 May 2018 11:39 by Sagrilarus.

More
25 May 2018 11:54 #274066 by Colorcrayons
Did somebody say Fraggle Rock!?!

*No longer able to think rationally. Lays out Social Security and bank account numbers for any passerby to take while I lay in a puddle of my own drool.*

The Trash Heap has spoken! Nyaaaaaaaah!

More
25 May 2018 13:01 #274067 by cdennett

charlest wrote:

Ha ha ha ha ha!

Best part is that, according to folks over on BGG, they realized their Kickstarter money as revenue back in 2016 and also claim they have no liabilities related to those Kickstarters, despite having the published policy of not recognizing revenue until a product is delivered. I don't blame them for playing the "Kickstarter is not a store" game with their finances when trying to get new investors, but sure would hate to be a backer of this...

In other news, I'm sensing market demand and am starting work on getting the board game rights for Fraggle Rock...could almost do something "Vast" style.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
02 Jun 2018 11:06 #274518 by Legomancer
I have lost my fucking mind.

I'm already in for a whopping (for me) SIX kickstarters at the moment. They are all either solid publishers with a known product or small card games that won't kill me if they go astray.

And now I'm looking at a seventh!

www.kickstarter.com/projects/853413964/bloc-by-bloc-2nd-edition

I love the theme, it's a second edition so again, this is a likely to deliver product, and the reactions to the first edition are pretty good. Just found out I won't be able to make Fal-Con later this year, so I think I'm going in on this as well.

I don't know what's next. Waking up in a bathtub filled with ice, with THANK YOU FOR BACKING written on the mirror in lipstick?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SebastianBludd, Not Sure, Frohike

More
02 Jun 2018 11:19 #274519 by Gary Sax
That one does look pretty cool!

I don't have any kickstarters waiting to fulfill, oddly, all of mine came and I've been a Good Boy.

More
02 Jun 2018 14:16 #274528 by hotseatgames
I was being good, until the last day of the Brook City campaign when they added fake Dexter Morgan as a playable cop. That, and Charlie's enthusiasm for Street Masters pushed me to jump in. I'll be snagging Street Masters first chance I get, too.

More
02 Jun 2018 14:24 #274530 by Not Sure
Bloc by Bloc looks pretty good to me as well, but it would practically be "Off Topic/RSP" with anyone around me.

Toady toad toad. I sure don't need another.

I caved on Root during the BackerKit extension, but that's the only Kickstarter I have pending.

More
02 Jun 2018 14:37 #274532 by Gary Sax
I was close on root too. Guaranteed toad, of course, but maybe an pbem game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.337 seconds