October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What Board Game have you been playing? ARCHIVE

More
03 Jun 2009 12:39 - 24 Aug 2011 14:20 #31253 by sydo
As i have been learning for my graduation for the past 2 weeks, we have been playing only Micro Mutants lately - just beer and fun ;)
Last edit: 24 Aug 2011 14:20 by ubarose.
The topic has been locked.
More
03 Jun 2009 12:48 #31254 by Shellhead
Thanks to Thaadd, I got to play a couple of games of Arkham Horror with the Innsmouth expansion before it was available in stores. And when a recent session of Call of Cthulhu ended early, some of the group stayed awhile and played a game of Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Otherwise, I have been playing a lot of Vampire: the Eternal Struggle, playtesting the large expansion that I have been working on with my co-designer in Australia. There is a reliable Wednesday night group that has recently doubled in size, plus I have arranged a few games on weekends in recent weeks. And now the playtesting is on hold as my co-designed reworks a bunch of issues identified by playtesters.

I want to get back to just playing boardgames soon. Playtesting is never as much fun as I expect it to be.
More
03 Jun 2009 12:54 #31255 by Aarontu
Great thread idea. Last night, I had my brother and a couple friends over.

Ca$h 'n Gun$ - Turned out to be awesome.
1st round: everybody points at me, I point at my brother. They all try to intimidate me, but I stay in. They all had Clicks, I had a BANG. Great times.

2nd round: everybody has a gun pointing at them. Friend 2 pulls out his grenade. No one ducks, my vengeful brother shoots me and Friend 1 shoots Friend 2. Everybody gets wounded and the money pile grows to epic proportions.

3rd round: friend 1 and 2 get shot and my brother and I split the huge pot.

4th round: everybody has 2 wounds except me with 1 at this point, and everybody else points it out and says I'm "winning". Guns end up pointing at every one. My brother, Friend 2, and I all decide to duck out, leaving friend 1 to take all the money! DANGIT

5th round: people die. My brother and I shoot friends 1 and 2 and I use my power to take one of their guns. Now I got 2 guns and 6 bullet cards left, to my brother's 3 cards.

6th round: Me vs. my brother. My 2 guns vs his one. My hand was: clic clic clic clic clic clic. GREAT. I act intimidating, but my brother shoots me with a BANG BANG BANG card and takes the money pile. Now we both have 2 wounds.

7th round: He is intimidated by my guns and ducks out. Too bad the bills were all small this round.

8th round: AGAIN he ducks out and I take the whole pot. We count up our money and both have $165,000. I am about to declare victory because I have less shame, but he pulls his special power which gives him $10k for each killed player and wins!

We also played some TALISMAn afterwards. My brother, as Wizard, pulls the warhorse, orb of knowledge, runesword, magic ring, and more. He ends up getting a lot of crap stolen by the Sorceress, who looks to be in the lead until she gets killed by a series of unfortunate events. Wishing we had the new Dungeon right now, as the wizard or sorceress could have PWNT the Lord of Darkness easily, though their actual base stats weren't that high. We ended the game early because it was getting late and we have work early in the morning.

GREAT TIMES
More
03 Jun 2009 13:00 #31256 by mikoyan
Last two weeks we played Starfarers of Catan.
More
03 Jun 2009 13:20 #31257 by ubarose
My neighbor Francie got that llama game, Princeses of Pikachoo, or something like that. I made a deal with her that I would play her game if she played Merchant of Venus with me. So, she played MoV, but it took like 3 hours (learning game), so she said that wasn't fair, and I had to play 3 hours of the llama game with her. So I have been playing a lot of the llama game.

It's a Euro pick up and deliver, where you have to collect T-Shirts, Pot, and Coke, and trade them for Virgins. Then the Virgin's kill the llamas, which allow you to get cards.
More
03 Jun 2009 13:20 #31258 by MattFantastic
We've been playing a ton of Talisman. This particular group is dudes I play D&D with usually, but they are also way into 40k and this was supposed to be our 40k RPG campaign, but it's pretty much devolved into constant Talisman.

I've also been playing tons of Shadow Hunters with lots of different people. Dudes really need to get into this game. I think it's easily one of the best of the last few years and is on it's way to maybe becoming an all time favorite.
More
03 Jun 2009 13:20 #31259 by southernman
Nothing. My little club is, unfortunately, populated mainly by Bloodbowl and Warhammer players. We used to get enough boardgame-keen guys and the odd roleplayer or minis guy each week to get games going, but we're down to about 3 or 4 and they are more interested in short-mid length euros so I just go home - thus my AT-friendly collection sits on the shelf.

The BSG forum game here has been my only gaming in the last month ... and it's been great.
More
03 Jun 2009 13:28 #31260 by Shellhead
MattLoter wrote:

I've also been playing tons of Shadow Hunters with lots of different people. Dudes really need to get into this game. I think it's easily one of the best of the last few years and is on it's way to maybe becoming an all time favorite.

I've had my eye on Shadow Hunters for a while, and now my local game store has one copy on hand. I want to buy it, but realistically, I haven't had much time for boardgames in recent months, so it might not get played much anytime soon.
More
03 Jun 2009 13:34 #31261 by NeonPeon
Why Cosmic Encounter of course.
More
03 Jun 2009 13:38 #31262 by Bullwinkle
I played through the first two scenarios of Field Commander: Alexander around three or four weeks ago. Otherwise, nothing. Well, also a few WTF am I doing? sessions of Realmspeak, if that counts.
More
03 Jun 2009 13:45 #31263 by ubarose
MattLoter wrote:

Shadow Hunters is great, but it is soooo hard to convince people to play it for the first time. However, once I get people to grudgingly agree to play, as soon as we finish, they immediately want to play again. I think the name, the box art, and the fact it is me who brought the game gives people the wrong impression of the game.
More
03 Jun 2009 13:53 #31264 by Hex Sinister
Middle Earth: The Wizards
Trying to pick up where we left off 10(?) years ago. Dumbass buddy lost his site deck and at least a hundred other important cards.

Black Goat of the Woods w/ herald
Finally beat this one which is the first victory since November. Squeal, Eihort!

Oblivion on 360
The Grey Fox? He's just a myth! I hear the beggars are his eyes and ears. The reason we haven't been doing much boardgaming lately. Love this game.

Agricola
My first euro.
More
03 Jun 2009 14:00 #31266 by ubarose
Hex Sinister wrote:

Agricola
My first euro.

I played Agricola a few days ago. It's kind of cute, like Harvest Moon. At the very least, it made more sense than the llama game. That's kind of the thing with Euros and me - finding the lesser of two evils to play with my Euro-loving pals.
More
03 Jun 2009 14:11 - 03 Jun 2009 14:12 #31270 by Amontillado
This is my first FA post.

I just ran a game day for boys 10-13. We played Nexus Ops, and most of them seemed to really enjoy it. We're going to make this kind of a regular gig, but I'm considering changing to cooperative games in the future. I just traded on BGG for Last Night on Earth and hoping that's a winner with the group.

My intention is to introduce it this way,

(Showing them closed paper bag) "Ok, today I've got a new game. It's called "I'm a Sweet Fairy Princess." You have to collect as many hugs, kisses, and valentines as you can, and the winner gets a basket of kittens. Watch out that you don't get stuck in cotton candy bushes or get lost in the lollipop forest! Ok, lets, oh...wait. No, see what I brought was actually this other game you probably won't want to play. This one you have to decapitate the necrotic heads of the shambling zombie horde before nightfall. What a shame. Shall I go get "I'm a Sweet Fairy Princess?" Yes?

You get the picture.
Last edit: 03 Jun 2009 14:12 by Amontillado.
More
03 Jun 2009 14:12 - 03 Jun 2009 14:15 #31272 by Hex Sinister

I played Agricola a few days ago. It's kind of cute, like Harvest Moon. At the very least, it made more sense than the llama game. That's kind of the thing with Euros and me - finding the lesser of two evils to play with my Euro-loving pals.

It's pretty good, we're enjoying it. I wanted something without trading and that would play well with two players, which it does. When I brought it over to play with the guys they seemed to like it and were amazed because we were able to finish a game. We never finish our games...
Last edit: 03 Jun 2009 14:15 by Hex Sinister. Reason: added quote
Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.979 seconds