October 09, 2023
2286 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What BEER(s) have you been drinking?

More
22 Sep 2010 18:05 - 23 Sep 2010 05:47 #74791 by SleightOfHand12
Gary Sax wrote:

Corn is cheaper because of asinine US domestic policy protecting farmers. You can thank the US senate for that one.

Truth. (And he's done a lot of other great articles besides.)

Unfortunately, "eat organic!" is a lot catchier than "if it doesn't look basically like it did when it came out of the earth, don't eat it!", and that kind of sloganeering leads us into hair-splitting arguments about organically- versus commercially-grown produce when the real issue should be teaching people to eat fresh fruits and veggies instead of TV dinners.

It's easy to tell folks to stop eating junk food and a little more complicated to explain why they should avoid being suckered by "health" food. But teaching people to eat real food - and it's a travesty that "real food" isn't an oxymoron in U.S. culture - is tricky. Tell the average American to stop consuming anything that comes from a restaurant or out of a package, box, or bag, and he's going to have no clue what to eat. (And "eating organic" can be as damaging to our diet than no dietary advice at all.) Who's picking up that slack in the food advisory channels, eh?

Michael Barnes wrote:

I don't think anyone with a lick of intellegence eats organic/natural because of the assumption that nutritional quality is higher.

That said ...
Last edit: 23 Sep 2010 05:47 by SleightOfHand12. Reason: Wow, I edited this EXTREMELY poorly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2010 18:05 #74792 by SleightOfHand12
Organically-grown anything does taste better than commercially-grown stuff, for the record.

More
22 Sep 2010 18:25 #74794 by Gary Sax
It's not your congressperson you should be upset at, but your senator. Most of the most absurd policies in the United States originate from the institution where a minuscule proportion of Americans' reps in rural states can hold any bill hostage.

More
22 Sep 2010 19:19 - 22 Sep 2010 19:25 #74799 by Not Sure
Gary Sax wrote:

It's not your congressperson you should be upset at, but your senator. Most of the most absurd policies in the United States originate from the institution where a minuscule proportion of Americans' reps in rural states can hold any bill hostage.

"Congresspeople" was meant to be a lumping together of both, not another term for Representative. Being from a state that's waaaay down there in the population density index, I'm going to have to disagree. If it wasn't for the non-proportional representation of the Senate, we'd never get jack shit. It's only recently that our House Reps outnumbered our Senators.

My issue isn't that Midwest Senators are sticking up for Farmer Ted in his overalls, it's that ADM and their ilk are paying for them to vote their line, which is effectively bad for everyone, including and especially Farmer Ted.

Also, with half the country upset at my Senator (hint, he's the Majority leader at the moment), I'd have to get in a very long line to register any disapproval. (the other is no better, he got caught in an affair while running on a family values/morals religious hardliner ticket...)

edit: on second thought, I have plenty of hate to go around, no time to be stingy. Although I'm pissed off at the corporate goons for pissing their moneystream in government, I suppose I should also dish out a helping to the bastards that are taking it, too. I guess Ted Stevens shows just how cheaply you can buy one.

Fuck this, I'm going home to get a BEER.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2010 19:25 by Not Sure.

More
22 Sep 2010 21:33 #74807 by ChristopherMD
Just had a Shlafly Pumpkin Ale. Fucking smooth. Has the right spices for me, particularly the aroma. The pumpkin flavor is a little weak, but the beer flavor is top notch. This is so far the best pumpkin ale of 2010. I also bought a bottle of Southern Tier's Pumking, which I had a few years ago and was excellent so that's definitely a contender too. Then I just have to track down Shipyard's Smashed Pumpkin and maybe one other to try this year.

More
22 Sep 2010 23:23 #74828 by Space Ghost
Don't get your hopes up for the Shipyard Pumpkin Ale....very watery tasting.

More
22 Sep 2010 23:36 #74830 by ChristopherMD
Space Ghost wrote:

Don't get your hopes up for the Shipyard Pumpkin Ale....very watery tasting.

They make one called Pumpkinhead Ale which is commonly found and not great (I've had it too), but also another called Smashed Pumpkin that's supposed to be a lot better.

More
22 Sep 2010 23:56 #74831 by Space Ghost
Smashed Pumpkin has to be better...if I can find it, I will give it a try.

More
28 Sep 2010 23:05 #75316 by Stan Leer
I have trying to stick as local as possible. Being in central Illinois I tend to focus either St. Louis or Chicago microbrews.

I have tried Schafly and been underwhelmed. I used to go predominantly Goose Island but Two Brother brewery did a tasting down in Champaign Urbana and they had great stuff.

I have since switched to drinking predominantly Two Brothers. My current preferences are Bitter End and Domaine DuPage.

I used to enjoy a light crisp wheat but now the citrus notes bug me for some reason. I have come round to wanting a more bitter and hoppy beer than I used to prefer.

More
28 Sep 2010 23:26 - 28 Sep 2010 23:28 #75317 by Gary Sax
Schlafly wheat is pretty good, esp on tap and for the price. Schlafly is fairly hit or miss in general though.
Last edit: 28 Sep 2010 23:28 by Gary Sax.

More
30 Sep 2010 12:01 #75524 by ChristopherMD
Had a couple Dogfish Head Punkin Ales that were generally good. Also the Southern Tier Pumking, which is the most pumpkin-tasting pumpkin beer I've had. If someone mixed the pumpkin flavor from that and the spices from Schlafly it would be the perfect pumpkin beer.

More
04 Oct 2010 10:27 #75842 by Columbob
Went to Beau's Oktoberfest in Vankleek Hill (little town in Eastern Ontario) on Saturday and tried all of their exclusives on site, pretty fun. Last year they had over 5000 people show up and weren't expecting so many, this year they were better prepared and expecting 7000 over the weekend.

Too bad they didn't have any darker or stronger beers though, they were all around the 5% mark. Their fall seasonal beer Night Marzen was a nice amber and I'm looking forward to having some more this season in local pubs.

Their one offs:
Happy Pils, self explanatory, brewed with local hops and 25 % local grains and
Opa's Gose, a german style wheat beer with sea salt and coriander, very nice
Late Night in Sleepy Dunkel, a darker wheat beer (6.3%), good malty taste
and their Lug Tread WTF? for wheat fermented, a variation on their flagship Lug Tread lagered ale. Bought a 4-pack if this one (in 600 ml bottles).

There were some tasting kegs brought from BarVolo in Toronto (from their wide selection of kegs for their upcoming Cask Days in late october) with some other micros from the province.

Church Key's Like Water for Chocolate Porter (8%) was unfortunately not so good, with a sour finale. Too bad, as it was the strongest beer and only porter on site.

Ottawa's own Clocktower brewpub had a seasonal light pumpkin ale (4.5%) which smelled great, tons of spices, however the taste didn't hold up and was kind of watery. St-Ambroise's seasonal pumpkin ale which I bought last week is a lot better.

Flying Monkey's Smash Bomb IPA (7.5%) was a highlight, lots of citrus flavours, I should have gotten some more of that.

More
04 Oct 2010 11:00 #75844 by Da Bid Dabid
Like most nights my beer of primary consumption is the best beer made in Michigan Bell's Two Hearted. Work is supposedly getting a few new taps soon so hopefully some fall brew goodness will be coming my way.

Also it was 3 weeks ago but attended our second annual UP Beerfest. My pick of the lot: Short's Brewing Rich's Rye. Second place was Dragonsmead's Double Black. Short's is seemingly becoming my favorite MI brewery.

More
04 Oct 2010 11:30 #75845 by bfkiller
Last night I drank an Indian pale ale called 606 from Paddockwood micro-brewery out of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Tasted very much like mosquito repellant.

More
07 Feb 2013 15:33 #143506 by Da Bid Dabid
Why the hell did this thread die?

For the Superbowl I picked up a growler of Kuhnhenn's DRIPA. Which is insanely easy drinking for how strong of a beer it is making it a good choice to bring to a party, although not sure what the rice adds to it. Overall I'll stick to Hopslam as my DIPA of choice, more so since it's available right now.

What caused me to seek this out this thread was finding that one of my favorite bars right outside of school just put Lagunitas Sucks on tap. I had tracked down two 6 packs when it was released last month and figured that was all I was gonna get my hands on this year as stores around here now seem to be all out and tell me they could get about one case each. I've read they plan on making this a year round beer, but if you have some available near you and you enjoy IPAs at all go pick some up. Just a fantastic beer.

Also I've been thinking about delving perhaps into the beer trading world to get my hands on some things that are tough to come by here. Anyone have any experience (or even perhaps an interest) in that realm?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds