October 09, 2023
2423 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2632 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
23 Jun 2015 09:02 #204817 by Legomancer

Black Barney wrote: I'Mad dog, after you saw Phantom Menace the first time, you didn't want to see it again?

After I saw Phantom Menace the first time I wished I hadn't seen it at all.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, lj1983

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2015 15:59 #204833 by Disgustipater

Black Barney wrote: speaking of which did anyone see that Jake Lloyd just got arrested?

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
23 Jun 2015 16:02 #204834 by charlest
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik

More
23 Jun 2015 16:03 #204835 by Black Barney
I wonder if he's asking the policewoman photographer if she's an angel.

Hey so I decided to see a flick tomorrow night with my buddy flying in from Toronto. I did a quick scope of what's playing and I was amazed by the number of good (or great) movies playing in my city. I quickly put together an order of preference and before I knew what had happened, i had listed NINETEEN flicks. Jeez... what to see...

1. Midsummer Night’s Dream
2. Inside Out
3. Mad Max 3D – totally don’t mind seeing it again, figure the 5th time should be in 3D since I haven't done that yet
4. Wild Tales – don’t mind seeing that again either
5. Phoenix
6. Iris
7. Gueros
8. Spy
9. Salt of the Earth
10. I’ll See You in My Dreams
11. Ex Machina – supposed to be great
12. Love & Mercy
13. Far From the Maddening Crowd
14. Testament of Youth
15. Me & Earl & the Dying Girl
16. Moulin Rouge
17. Borrowed Identity
18. Avengers: Age of Ultron
19. Jurassic World

More
23 Jun 2015 16:29 #204837 by Hex Sinister
This is the same method Barney uses to decide what's for dinner.

More
23 Jun 2015 16:35 #204838 by jeb
I just watched EDGE OF TOMORROW (dumb name) on HBO Go last night. I was pretty good, especially as Tom Cruise vehicles go. He seemed willing to back off the schmaltz and let the cool idea play out. (Mind you, he does some schmaltz). In some ways, watching him die over and over satisfies on the same level as that looping GIF of Tyrion slapping Joffrey. The aliens looked cool, and GROUNDHOG DAY is great, so there was a lot of upside. I wanted Bill {Pax|Pull}man to have more to do that be a dumb Master Sergeant though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
23 Jun 2015 16:40 #204840 by Shellhead
Barney, that is too many movies. You are over the limit. You should play more boardgames.

More
23 Jun 2015 16:42 #204841 by OldHippy
Barney, watch Inside Out... I'm curious about that one as I'm considering taking my son to see it with me.

Granted, there may be other criteria outside of 'how can I make Jacob and his son's life a little better', but I'll be damned if I can think of any.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney

More
23 Jun 2015 19:51 #204850 by iguanaDitty

Black Barney wrote: 16. Moulin Rouge

I loooved this movie when I saw it the first time. But every successive viewing made me like it less and less and by the 3rd time when I was no longer surprised by anything it wasn't fun anymore. The 'Like a Virgin' scene was still good though. Actually any scene with Jim Broadbent was still good.

More
23 Jun 2015 21:27 #204851 by Black Barney
Jakob, I'm sure it's fantastic. I'd give it a stamp of approval without even seeing it. I really want to see it. Love Pixar.

Yeah, I saw Moulin Rouge was playing on the big screen again for some reason and I only so-so dug it the first time through and never gave it a second chance. Some people still talk about it so I felt like I should see it again. If memory serves, there was only one song I actually liked. That Nicole Kidman has like zero range too.

Shellhead, I don't have any board games anymore! (save for Seven Wonders). But yeah, that's way too many movies to see. I feel guilty for seeing Mad Max four times not realizing at the time all this other stuff was playing. .....nah, I don't feel guilty, I want to see it again.

Jeb, you think that movie title is dumb? They changed it to Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow. I'm not kidding.

More
23 Jun 2015 21:33 #204852 by ChristopherMD

Black Barney wrote: Jeb, you think that movie title is dumb? They changed it to Live, Die, Repeat: Edge of Tomorrow. I'm not kidding.

The book was called All You Need Is Kill so either way its an improvement.

More
24 Jun 2015 12:20 #204882 by Gary Sax
Saw two movies on the red eye to Europe.

I have not hated a movie as much as I hated Birdman for quite some time. Probably since... maybe Vanilla Sky? HATED IT. Boring, pointless, inside baseball for theater people with very stilted and unconvincing dialog. Didn't think anyone did an especially bad acting job either, just a horrendous script of unlikeable and uninteresting characters masquerading as deep.

Then I watched the Kingsmen. Total trash but weird enough to be entertaining. The 5-10 minute long murder scene is bizarre. And the way Samuel L. decides to play the villian. What?

More
25 Jun 2015 10:27 #204912 by Black Barney
Hehe, i liked both Birdman and Vanilla Sky :)

So of those 19 movies I listed, I ended up going to see... MAD MAX for a FIFTH time in theatres! Except this time, I finally got around to seeing it in 3D (expecting not to be impressed). Turns out the 3D was REALLY good and added a ton to the visual style of the movie. It's not gimmicky 3D (except for the guitar popping out at ya) but just really good transposition and giving certain scenes a REALLY different look and feel. Like when the bullet farm chief has gone blind and is holding two submachine guns, quoting some sort of bizarre scripture and he lets bullets fly into the darkness.... that scene in 3D was really eerie and powerful.

Just as one other example, at one point Immortan Joe slams his shifter forward in the last chase sequence, the focus on the skull because of the 3D makes a really snazzy visual moment. Loved it. Also most of Furiosa's scenes were augmented with the 3D.

Again noticed some stuff I had missed the first four times:
- The car in the shop that Max vaults over in the beginning as he's running away from getting tattoo'd was his car (already getting reworked, them warboys is quick).
- When Immortan Joe is getting prepped before speaking to the masses in the beginning, the ritual that some of the warpups are doing in front of him is almost identifical to altar boys serving a head priest, cool stuff.

My buddy that I took to the movie was just blown away. He had goosebumps for most of the flick. His last movie in theatres was Avatar so I knew this would be special :)

I know we're beyond talking about this flick but it's just so insanely good. I really recommend it in 3D

More
25 Jun 2015 11:05 - 25 Jun 2015 11:07 #204916 by ChristopherMD
I watched some of Fury Road at home last night (it leaked) and noticed a lot of stuff I didn't in the theater. Like Max was seeing ghosts of a bunch of people including some aboriginal dude, not just the little kid. They tattooed Road Warrior onto his back underneath his blood type too. Coma Doof was still fun the second time. I'll probably watch this every week this summer.

Also watched Cinderella the other night. Disney really needs to use this as a blueprint for every live-action retelling they do from now on. No surprise twists or attempts to make the villain cool or add some girl power message. Anything new was just to give the characters a little more depth. Not my favorite fairy tale, but I've seen many versions of it in my lifetime and this is probably the best.
Last edit: 25 Jun 2015 11:07 by ChristopherMD.

More
25 Jun 2015 14:40 #204932 by Cranberries
Black Barney only has one game.

I've been wanting to see MMFR again. The first time I was stressed about life and walked to the theater in a small sandstorm with my sons, so it affected my suspension of disbelief somehow because I was in Dad mode or something.

The wrong job can seep into your everyday life and warp your perspective.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.407 seconds