October 09, 2023
2296 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
25 Jun 2018 14:04 #276161 by Gregarius

Black Barney wrote: I think most people just want to watch movies as an activity and don’t really care how good it is, they just want entertainment air conditioning.

Think Of how most people watch tv

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2018 23:52 - 27 Jun 2018 23:53 #276448 by Michael Barnes
Pacific Rim: Uprising is super fun- a big ol’ B-movie with some amazing live action super robot/kaiju mayhem. If you didn’t like how all the big battles in the first one were at night in the rain, here they are almost all in broad daylight. The Jaegers are better, the Kaiju are better, and it develops the PR world a little more.

But all of the human stuff is a notch below the first film- the Del Toro quirk isn’t there, and the tone comes off as more “off” than cartoony. That said, Burn Gorman is a national treasure who should be in every gothic horror movie made going forward. Preferably always named Gottlieb.

I guess it tanked pretty bad at the box office...which is sad, because it is 1000 times better than any given Transformers movie.
Last edit: 27 Jun 2018 23:53 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons, engineer Al, WadeMonnig

More
28 Jun 2018 00:48 - 28 Jun 2018 00:48 #276449 by WadeMonnig

Michael Barnes wrote: That said, Burn Gorman is a national treasure who should be in every gothic horror movie made going forward. Preferably always named Gottlieb.

Loved him in the Torchwood series. Just saw him recently in a Western with Karen Gillian and John Travolta. The Movie had serious issues but Burn was great as the alcoholic priest.

Insert pinball pun about Gottlieb here.
Last edit: 28 Jun 2018 00:48 by WadeMonnig.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
28 Jun 2018 02:36 #276453 by JMcL63
Finally saw Solo last night. I liked it. It was a good action adventure with fine performances from all the main cast. About thirty minutes in I realised I couldn't see Alden Ehrenreich, just Han Solo, which pleased me. I also enjoyed the fan service callbacks to the original trilogy- "I've got a good feeling about this". One minor complaint is that it was a beat too long: I got third act drag I'm afraid. My favourite of the new Star Wars movies all the same.
The following user(s) said Thank You: WadeMonnig

More
28 Jun 2018 08:12 #276463 by hotseatgames
I watched Escape from New York after having not seen it in a LONG time. I loved, loved, loved this movie as a kid.

I have terrible news: it does not hold up. I'd go so far as to say that if they did a remake of this movie, it could be actually good. Hell, this premise has been used a lot, so you could argue that many remakes exist.

Snake's line delivery is just bad. And there isn't a single character who gets a dramatic death. One second they are there, the next they are not. Maybe that's more realistic in this cruel world, but it's not very cinematic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
28 Jun 2018 12:18 #276483 by SebastianBludd
I saw Upgrade a couple weeks ago and it was really good. It's like the world of Robocop projected into the future crossed with an episode of Black Mirror. It's about a man who's rendered a quadriplegic in an attack on him and his wife. His wife is killed, and through coincidence he meets some visionary Bill Gates type that hooks him up with a prototypical microchip that is fused to his spine to help him move his limbs. It turns out that the chip has an AI that can talk to him, JARVIS-style, and it can help him track down the men who attacked him. Complications ensue and things get very violent.

However, if you have any interest in this movie at all, DO NOT WATCH ANY TRAILERS FOR THIS FILM. The trailers for this movie have the spoileriest spoilers that have ever been spoiled. They showed significant parts of every major action setpiece from the film - including the climax of several of them - to the point where the impact of the film was severely diminished for me on first watch. It's a shame, too, because it's a great, concise movie with a cool aesthetic and some really neat ideas.

My family and also saw Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. I2 was good but not as good as the original. The climax of the film seemed a little low key as compared to the Omnidroid and the movie itself felt disjointed with Helen's new job and Bob's domestic adventures clashing in tone and being almost completely separate. I want to see it again because there's a lot I like about it but its impact was tempered by my inflated expectations for the sequel.

As for Jurassic World, oof, what a turd. I took my son for his birthday and even he, Jurassic Park series superfan that he is, said it was merely "okay" and placed it at the bottom of his ranking of the series. Where to begin? They're only on the island for a little while, Jeff Goldblum is only in two very short scenes, there are arguments about humans meddling in God's domain that they've been rehashing since 1993, the Indoraptor is a tired retread of the Indominus Rex (which wasn't all that amazing itself), plus some other issues I'm forgetting. There are some interesting and clever bits but when it returned to riffing on previous JP movies everything seemed to slow to a crawl and my interest waned. At least the first Jurassic World was ripping off Jurassic Park. When you're ripping off The Lost World, you're going to have issues.

More
28 Jun 2018 12:31 #276485 by Colorcrayons

hotseatgames wrote: I watched Escape from New York after having not seen it in a LONG time. I loved, loved, loved this movie as a kid.

I have terrible news: it does not hold up. I'd go so far as to say that if they did a remake of this movie, it could be actually good. Hell, this premise has been used a lot, so you could argue that many remakes exist.

Snake's line delivery is just bad. And there isn't a single character who gets a dramatic death. One second they are there, the next they are not. Maybe that's more realistic in this cruel world, but it's not very cinematic.

I think you're right, if one we're to take this as serious as was intended. But I too watched it again fairly recently, and like you, this was a childhood fave.

I think it still carries charm. Plisken's lines are delivered in a humorous way now. So to me, it's now a fun movie set in a Horribad time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
28 Jun 2018 12:47 #276487 by Michael Barnes
Ha. I kind of forgot I saw Incredibles 2.

You know, it’s weird. When the first one came out, it was the best superhero movie to date. It was before Nolan’s Batman films, which is strange to think about. I remember talking about it with friends and we all thought it was as close to a Watchmen movie we’d ever get- granted, a lot less dark and more universally accessible. But it had that “behind the cowl” sensibility, it questioned the role of superheroes, and it even had this idea of heroes changing over time.

But with 2, a lot has changed. Good comic book movies come out once a month. They aren’t one out of a hundred attempts. But the Incredibles kind of stayed the same.

I did like it, and I loved elements of it. I loved that it starts right where the last one left off. I love that Tony Ridinger (“Tonyloaf”) is a key player in it all. I love that it still touches on the “history” of heroes. I loved getting some other heroes involved in it beyond the Parrs and Frozone.

Above all, I loved the over the top mid century modern design. That house was incredible, the star of the show.

But some of it just felt flat. Screenslaver was a bad villian, and way too on the nose in terms of satire. The twist reveal was really not surprising at all. Some of the domestic antics were pretty lame (the whole raccoon gag seems like more of a Blue Sky thing than a Pixar thing). The battles weren’t particularly compelling- I can’t even remember anything Dash actually did with his powers.

I hate to say it, but it also feels too late. Kids that saw the first movie when they were 10 are in their mid-20s now. So it missed the whole generational impact of Toy Story, which led to 3 being one of the best animated movies ever made.

So I dunno, it’s hard to bag on it because I do have a lot of goodwill toward the brand but it also kind of just seemed to hit par. HIYO

More
28 Jun 2018 12:58 #276490 by SuperflyPete
I saw Singularity (John Cusack et al) last night.

Imagine you were a star and had a cousin with a shit script. Now imagine that script was a portmanteau of The Matrix, Hunger Games, and Terminator (sans time travel). Now imagine it’s more boring and worse written than you could have expected.

There’s the Singularity.

I think this film is an in-joke pun. “Take all the major sci fi films from the 90’s/00’s and mush them into one single film: Singularity.

More
28 Jun 2018 13:03 #276491 by lj1983
I started watching singularity on the bus ride home....after about 15 minutes I turned it off and took a nap.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 Jun 2018 14:04 #276497 by Gregarius

SebastianBludd wrote: My family and also saw Incredibles 2 and Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. I2 was good but not as good as the original. The climax of the film seemed a little low key as compared to the Omnidroid and the movie itself felt disjointed with Helen's new job and Bob's domestic adventures clashing in tone and being almost completely separate. I want to see it again because there's a lot I like about it but its impact was tempered by my inflated expectations for the sequel.

I saw Incredibles 2 last night, and I agree.

The first one is a nearly flawless film, but this second one can't really justify its existence. The animation is great, some of the action set pieces are fantastic, but overall there just wasn't anything very new or compelling about it. Barnes' take sums it up pretty well.

More
28 Jun 2018 14:10 #276498 by the_jake_1973
My wife is playing the Incredibles Lego game and I feel I've seen enough of the movie in the game.

More
28 Jun 2018 18:47 #276527 by quozl
I enjoyed Incredibles 2 more than the first because I'm a fan of comedy and 2 was very funny.

More
01 Jul 2018 14:37 #276664 by hotseatgames
I just watched Kingsman 2: The Golden Circle on HBO. Holy shit, I can't remember the last time a movie brought me this much joy. Just an absolute triumph from start to finish. It's like there must have been a rule that nothing was too crazy.

If you have not seen this, or the first one, you need to rectify that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries, Colorcrayons

More
01 Jul 2018 15:06 - 01 Jul 2018 15:13 #276668 by Colorcrayons
I finally got a chance to sit down and watch Annihilation.

This is a Lovecraft movie, through and through.

Shades of "The Colour out of Space" is obvious. This, like "Polaris" are among his few truly sci fi stories.

It hits all the usual Lovecraftian notes though (Mankind's true cosmic insignificance, an investigator wrestling with their own sanity and straining to keep the notion of their humanity, metamorphosis, desolation and a overbearing sense of despair, playing on our fear of the unknown, etc.), and personally I view it as a contemporary film adaptation of "Colour".

Quite good. Lovecraft would be both proud and envious.
Last edit: 01 Jul 2018 15:13 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, hotseatgames

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.035 seconds