October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
01 Jul 2018 20:31 #276683 by SuperflyPete
Watched the Netflix original “Revolt”. Typical Alien Invasion fare with the focus on two characters, not unlike Monsters.

Entertaining, an interestingish backstory which made me want more information but it wasn’t provided.

Worth a bored time watch while adjusting the pickups on 6 guitars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2018 22:07 #276691 by Jackwraith

Colorcrayons wrote: Shades of "The Colour out of Space" is obvious. This, like "Polaris" are among his few truly sci fi stories.

That's what I said: therewillbe.games/articles-five-second-r...n-echoes-of-the-past
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
01 Jul 2018 23:15 #276692 by Michael Barnes
Just saw Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Not surprised opinions are mixed/low about it.

But I really liked it, and I would say that it’s probably the second best of the series. The basic outline of man messes with nature/nature eats man is the same...but there were some other themes going on surrounding the -humane- treatment of the animals that I appreciated.

And it got WEIRD.

Warning: Spoiler!

But the nerd reaction- “why didn’t they...”

I did actually like...

My kids...

More
02 Jul 2018 01:50 #276696 by Colorcrayons

Jackwraith wrote:

Colorcrayons wrote: Shades of "The Colour out of Space" is obvious. This, like "Polaris" are among his few truly sci fi stories.

That's what I said: therewillbe.games/articles-five-second-r...n-echoes-of-the-past

Aye, it would indeed seem that the correlation is obvious.

I'll respond further in your thread.

More
02 Jul 2018 05:18 - 02 Jul 2018 09:09 #276699 by sornars
My favourite pithy review was:
. I thought Jurassic World was dumb but fun. I enjoyed it but part of the problem was being in the same series as Jurassic Park to which no other movie featuring dinosaurs can compare.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2018 09:09 by sornars.

More
02 Jul 2018 11:47 - 02 Jul 2018 11:48 #276720 by jpat
If "Ex Machina" and "The OA" had a love-child, it would probably look something like Netflix's "Tau," which is a reasonable space filler. Elsewhere, I saw it described as an Ex Machina/Fifty Shades crossover, but the latter seems entirely superficial based on the styling and the look/demeanor of the male lead.

Finally got around to seeing "The Witch," in an attempt to round out my good-modern-horror viewing. I would've preferred to have seen it on a bigish screen rather than on my iPad, but it was still quite effective. When horror is more like this, "The Babadook," and "Heredity" than it is to slashing and jump scares, I'm kinda in to it.

I guess I'm just jaded or it was lost on me, but "Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call--New Orleans" (or however the hell it's punctuated) was something of a letdown. It's better Cage crazy than some, but it felt overlong, and the redemptive arc wasn't that appealing to me. But it was probably better than "Mom and Dad," the more recent Nic Cage/Selma Blair in which parents start attacking their children, attempts at hilarity ensuing. I get that it's mostly a metaphor, but I found it neither funny nor horrifying.
Last edit: 02 Jul 2018 11:48 by jpat.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
02 Jul 2018 20:50 - 02 Jul 2018 20:56 #276764 by Cranberries

hotseatgames wrote: I just watched Kingsman 2: The Golden Circle on HBO. Holy shit, I can't remember the last time a movie brought me this much joy. Just an absolute triumph from start to finish. It's like there must have been a rule that nothing was too crazy.

If you have not seen this, or the first one, you need to rectify that.

Just so you know, I watched this today, off and on, because of your comments. It's like a weird, violent, frat boy/men's magazine fantasy with a bunch of f-bombs and surprisingly little sexy time. I enjoyed the times when they just went over the top, and those robot dogs were straight out of Snow Crash. In fact, I found myself wishing that the same directory had made Snow Crash instead. But it was cartoony fun and I don't hate myself for watching it. Also, the cameo by that one famous musician being forced to play his old songs is pretty funny.

Attachments:
Last edit: 02 Jul 2018 20:56 by Cranberries.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames

More
More
05 Jul 2018 23:24 - 05 Jul 2018 23:24 #276961 by Grudunza
With expectations on very low, I had a lot of fun with JW2. The first half was outstanding in terms of cool shots and dino action and thrills, and though most of the characters are forgettably typical, their dialogue is pretty decent. The premise of the second half is dumb dumb dumb, but once I let out a groan or two, that was pretty fun, too. I think this one, more than any of the other sequels, embraces its pulpy nature, and that helps. I had the same thought about sornars second spoiler, but that somehow added to its absurd charm. Okay, why not? I wouldn't say it's a great movie, but the director seemed to know better with this one as far as making it work for what it is.
Last edit: 05 Jul 2018 23:24 by Grudunza.

More
09 Jul 2018 11:33 #277163 by Michael Barnes
Last night I watched Mother!, Darren Arronofsky’s latest film with Jennifer Lawrence and Javier Bardem. Rather famously, it got an F “Cinemascore”, whatever that means.

It is absolutely not a mainstream film in any way, shape, or form and in fact it is probably the most transgressive and artistically singular film released by a major film studio and featuring major stars since...I don’t know when. It is kind of a surrealist horror film...if I had to point to things it reminds me of, the most would be:

- Polanski’s Repulsion and Rosemary’s Baby
- Maya Deren’s Meshes of the Afternoon
- Luis Bunuel’s Exterminating Angel
- The video for Kate Bush’s “Hounds of Love”

It’s pretentious, absurd, and obnoxious. But it is also audacious, fearless, and profound. It’s also shocking, aggressive, and inflammatory. But it is never nonsensical, confusing, or pointless.

There’s not much that can be discussed without spoiling it, but I will say that you should watch it with subtitles on...because characters don’t have names, they have “roles”, and they are not spoken in the film. A lot of meaning is in these roles.

As for what it’s about and what it all means...I’ll just say that it is very much a film about today in quite a few different ways. One thing I will spoil slightly is that one of the themes is actually, of all things, toxic fandom and the entitlement of creator-worshippers.

I think it’s a masterpiece- it’s difficult and fussy, and it is the kind of movie that would not have been out of place in cinemas circa 1972, 1973. I think it may be the best “auteur” film I’ve seen since There Will Be Blood.

But you probably aren’t going to like it, so maybe don’t bother with it.

More
09 Jul 2018 11:57 #277166 by Gary Sax
I posted a review of that way back in the thread, I should find it again. It was alright? I thought the alegory was a bit thin and heavy handed.

More
09 Jul 2018 12:00 #277167 by Gary Sax

Gary Sax wrote: Saw Aronofsky's Mother! this evening. It was like a combination cosmic horror/body horror/bad relationship movie depending on your read. It's pretty good but exhausting and dragged a bit for me. It's so laughably intense that I literally started laughing out loud in the theater when

I find that although Aronofsky's movies are impeccably made, as I get older I am less and less curious to unravel a director's elaborate metaphors, even when they're reasonably straightforward. By 1/3 of the way through the movie I found myself thinking that I wish he'd just get to the part where he wraps up and gives us some clues about what the whole thing meant so I could get to repiecing the film together in my head.

Ah, there it is. Sounds like we agreed but largely differ on how much patience we have for the symbolism aspect. I do find myself pretty tired of puzzle films these days, I used to be way into them. Funny because I'm totally still ok with puzzle narrative games like dark souls, I wonder why I'm out of love with the movie version.

More
09 Jul 2018 12:18 - 09 Jul 2018 12:19 #277173 by Michael Barnes
Well, see, I didn’t feel like there was any puzzle to it at all- I thought the symbolism and metaphors were REALLY blatant. I didn’t feel like I was having to figure it out.

The part in your spoiler

It’s OK to laugh...years ago I went to see Jeff Koons speak. River was really little and I had to take him out for a minute and this lady was outside and I talked to her for a minute. She said “I feel really bad about it, but some of his stuff I can’t help but laugh at.” Now, this is a dude that does stuff like giant balloon animals, pieces with Popeye and the Pink Panther, he did this sculpture of Michael Jackson and Bubbles, things with lobster pool floats. So I told the lady “I’m pretty sure he thinks this stuff is pretty funny too.” It’s like she just suddenly had this revelation after I said it, realizing that sometimes art is absurd, and silly, and ridiculous and it’s OK when it is because that is part of the expression.

I laughed at that part because it was just so over the top and...well, it was kind of like Bayonetta, it just keeps escalating and escalating until you’re at the point where you can’t really do anything else but go that one step too far. And that IS funny when it happens.
Last edit: 09 Jul 2018 12:19 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody

More
10 Jul 2018 14:28 #277242 by boothwah
Ant man and the Wasp was great. Style tone, it's what the FF movies should have been.

More
11 Jul 2018 08:34 #277290 by charlest
Sicario 2 certainly wasn't up to the standards of the first due to the absence of Villeneuve and Blunt, but it still proved an entertaining military thriller with a couple of really fantastic scenes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.653 seconds