October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
13 Sep 2018 02:33 #281518 by mc
"They call me Chance, because my mother took one," - Hard Target.

It's going on for 25 years, I haven't seen it since, and something about that line still cracks me up.

I must watch High Fidelity again, similar stories to above. Loved it, loved the book, might cut close these days.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2018 08:37 #281523 by ChristopherMD
Coco - Kind of predictable but it was still good. Could have been great though if they had added a lot more music to it. I know the plot is his family doesn't want him to play but I was genuinely surprised this didn't have a fuller soundtrack.

More
15 Sep 2018 15:36 #281676 by SebastianBludd
My boys and I caught a matinee of The Predator yesterday and it was disappointing. The first part of the movie was good, as was the climactic fight, but the middle was a directionless, sloppy mess. It also didn't help that the Predator was mostly absent during the saggy middle, where instead we were treated to a lot of good-humans-vs-bad-humans intrigue that is not nearly as interesting as people trying to survive against an alien big game hunter. The dialogue was clever but it tended to go on too long and the fact that the middle was so meandering made it feel like it was just killing time. I also think Shane Black is trying to make "shut the fuck up!" the official catchphrase of the movie but it was just annoying after the fourth time someone said it.

And when there were action scenes with the Predator there was too much CGI and quick cutting, making it sometimes hard to follow what the Predator was doing, and the CGI Predator didn't look very good in general. This was also easily the most violent Predator movie but the fact that most of it was CGI was distracting when it was used in places where practical effects would have worked.

As for performances, I didn't really care for the protagonist but Thomas Jane and Keegan-Michael Key were fun. Olivia Munn was actually pretty decent and the script gave her things to do, which was a pleasant surprise. I think I was one of dozens of people nationwide who was excited to see Jake Busey show up, only to be disappointed that he wasn't in the movie and was gone after the first act (which also might be the first time anyone's said that about Jake Busey).

Of the non AVP Predator films, I would put this one last after Predator, Predator 2 and Predators. It's the sort of movie that, once it makes its way to TV, people will convince themselves is better than it is because they can leave the movie on in the background and play on their phone during the boring, formless middle of the film.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, lj1983, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
15 Sep 2018 19:50 #281682 by Black Barney
Thanks for seeing it instead of us!!

I finally got around to seeing Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, i was amazed at how good Gene Wilder was at doing Wonka and how much fun it was. I feel super guilty for never haven seen it until now. Now I find Depps Wonka just plain ol obnoxious
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
15 Sep 2018 20:37 #281685 by SebastianBludd

Black Barney wrote: Thanks for seeing it instead of us!!

I had a feeling it was going to be a stink burger so I made sure to get off work in time to get the cheaper matinee tickets. I primarily went because it was a chance to see a theatrical Predator film with my sons, so in that respect it was a good time.

Black Barney wrote: I finally got around to seeing Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, i was amazed at how good Gene Wilder was at doing Wonka and how much fun it was. I feel super guilty for never haven seen it until now. Now I find Depps Wonka just plain ol obnoxious

Gene Wilder's portrayal of Wonka is brilliant where, in addition to the eccentricities and aloofness, he infused his performance with a touch of melancholia to round out the character. After Wilder, Depp's Wonka comes off as a shallow, goofy dipshit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Black Barney, lj1983

More
15 Sep 2018 21:51 #281688 by Shellhead
The box for Hardcore Henry promised that it was the best action movie since Fury Road, but that turned out to be false advertising. I only lasted 20 minutes before giving up on. It wanted to be Robocop, but fell short in terms of story, actors, and budget. There is one gimmick, which is that there really isn't an actor playing Henry, it's just a POV camera with people just out of site awkwardly manipulating two unreasonably long arms. There was a lot of action, but all the awkward POV nonsense kept pushing me out of the movie. A couple minutes in, I remembered that I saw a trailer for Hardcore Henry a while back, and it didn't interest me then, either.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
15 Sep 2018 23:34 #281693 by Michael Barnes
Willy Wonka is a perfect film, and Wilder is perfect in it. It just totally blows the Tim Burton one out of the water in every single level except for the fact that the original does not have Christopher Lee proclaiming “no son of mine will grow up to be a CHOCLATIER!”

There are so many great moments...the tumble, the guy fussing with the computer, Mike Teevee’s parents, the opening song, and of course the fucking boat ride, where the film suddenly becomes maliciously psychedelic...

I would actually probably put it on a top 20 of all time list.

Hardcore Henry was just dumb. I watched it only because I like things Timur Bembabektov has been involved in. This was just stupid. Sharlto Copley likely shouldn’t be in films, I think.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
16 Sep 2018 06:50 #281698 by repoman

I finally got around to seeing Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory, i was amazed at how good Gene Wilder was at doing Wonka and how much fun it was. I feel super guilty for never haven seen it until now. Now I find Depps Wonka just plain ol obnoxious

That is the single most remarkable thing I've ever seen you post. How on earth did you manage to avoid seeing it? Like not having seen The Wizard of Oz. Seems like they aired it twice a year on TV for 50 years. Maybe it was during maple syrup season up in Canada and you were too busy tapping trees?

Anyway, it's utterly brilliant. Wilder is amazing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Disgustipater, Gregarius

More
16 Sep 2018 08:39 - 16 Sep 2018 08:55 #281700 by GorillaGrody
Finally saw Nick-Cage-insane-vengeance movie Mandy. I went in skeptically, because usually movies that lean too heavily or self-consciously into Mondo Midnite Movie territory wind up being a bit undercooked and disappointing.

My verdict? This movie is Cave Evil, utilizing every color within (and a few just just outside of) the human ocular spectrum. It's dumb, but so is staring for too long at a sunset. It's beautiful. It's really, really violent. It's probably a must see, especially for TWBG regulars.

Edit, Post Script, possible spoiler, and an example of what this movie's all about: The narrative really kicks into high gear at the moment Nick Cage samples the mescalin that the demons have been chugging throughout the movie.

Another Edit, Post Post Script: Opening track by King Crimson.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2018 08:55 by GorillaGrody.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, ChristopherMD, Hex Sinister, Colorcrayons

More
16 Sep 2018 10:27 #281704 by WadeMonnig

repoman wrote:

That is the single most remarkable thing I've ever seen you post. How on earth did you manage to avoid seeing it? Like not having seen The Wizard of Oz. Seems like they aired it twice a year on TV for 50 years. Maybe it was during maple syrup season up in Canada and you were too busy tapping trees?

Anyway, it's utterly brilliant. Wilder is amazing.

It's wild that with the innovation of hundreds of channels, EVENT t.v. has faded away. It was literally an event when Willy Wonka was on when I was little. Same with the afore mentioned Wizard of Oz. Or going out to see TRHPS. Who didn't watch The Day After when it debuted.

More
16 Sep 2018 12:02 - 16 Sep 2018 12:03 #281706 by Michael Barnes
Re: Mandy- I really really want to see this. The director also did Beyond the Black Rainbow, which is freaking awesome. It as in Netflix but I don’t think it is anymore. If you’ve ever wondered what kinds of films I had planned on making back when I was in film school...Beyond the Black Rainbow is pretty much square on the sort of things I was writing and planning.

Re: event TV- “Kids, come in, Thriller is coming on”...that’s what my friend’s mom would yell out into the neighborhood and we’d all run in to watch it.

I miss event TV. All those miniseries that were a BIG DEAL like V, Amerika, Shogun...special airings of films that at the time weren’t available to see any other way or only on expensive VHS tapes...the holiday stuff is really impacted by this. It used to be you could watch Rudolph ONE time a year and you had to catch it when it was on unless you taped it. Now, the kids watch it 5-6 times and it doesn’t have that ephemeral, transient quality any more.u

Also miss stuff like ABC Sunday Night at the Movies...”viewer discretion...is advised”.
Last edit: 16 Sep 2018 12:03 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius, WadeMonnig

More
16 Sep 2018 12:16 #281708 by Shellhead
I watched High Fidelity again with a friend. Just after he headed out, I took a look at the special features and found the deleted scenes. Sometimes the deleted scenes can be boring, as they are just longer or slightly different takes of scenes still in the movie. And when a deleted scene is unique, it is usually clear why it was left out. But the deleted scenes in High Fidelity were different and not bad.

One particular deleted scene really got to me. The main character was big on lists, and he had already given us a short list of horrible things that he did to his ex:

1. Cheated on her...
2. ... while she was pregnant...
3. ... causing her to get an abortion.
4. Borrowed $4,000 from her, and never paid it back.
5. Said that he could see himself dating somebody else.

So during the movie, that's the moment where everybody realizes that this guy is kind of an asshole and deserves to be dumped. But this one deleted scene is title The Five Worst Things, and I mistakenly thought it was going to be an alternate take. Instead, Cusack looks at the camera and challenges the viewer to think about the five worst things that he did to his significant other. I put the scene on pause, and genuinely reflected upon it. My list:

1. Threw her laptop, which broke on my driveway.
2. Cheated on her.
3. Suggested that she move out of my house at least a half dozen times in the last year worth of arguments.
4. Ditched her at a store in the middle of a public argument, leaving her to walk home.
5. Grabbed the steering wheel to force her to the side of the road, when she was refusing to give me back my own car. We were travelling 30 mph at the time, but I startled her into slowing down and then stopping.

I re-start the movie, and Cusack talks for another minute, and then says "Pencils down." He challenges the viewers to compare our lists with his, and then realize that maybe we shouldn't judge him so harshly. Like Cusack's character, I had my reasons and excuses, but have to admit that it looks bad. This scene really should have stayed in the movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: hotseatgames, Frohike

More
19 Sep 2018 19:51 - 19 Sep 2018 22:46 #281921 by Gary Sax
I just saw Mandy as well. It was super extra and I don't really have that much concrete stuff to say about it. It was good, not great? I consistently admire Nic Cage for not giving a shit. Like, if you pay him what he asks, his films suggest you can basically have him do whatever you want, no matter how degrading, stupidly written, or uncomfortable. He is like a rental. Sometimes this creates Con Air, sometimes it creates a thoroughly weird and unsettling film like Mandy or The Wicker Man. There is a scene in a bathroom in this movie that is just sort of uncomfortable and super unflattering but really worked for me, and it's shocking that Big Name would do a bunch of the scenes in this movie.

I found it especially interesting that it was super committed to ultra-violence but it was also not very exciting at all... all the action scenes and whatnot are clumsy and analog. Most of the final scenes are not really tense in terms of a "who is going to win and prevail?" kind of way that most action movies today are really going for. The violence is more like a motif, which fits with the heavy metal stuff.

It is super up lots of TWBG alley in terms of anyone who has metal in their blood at all.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2018 22:46 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries

More
19 Sep 2018 22:34 #281935 by Jackwraith
Saw White Boy Rick tonight. Meh. They tried to cram way too much story into two hours, so parts of it really dragged, and they changed pace multiple times, wandering off on tangents for a while, and then coming back to the main story of the moment. It didn't really have a central theme, other than Rick got into a lot of trouble and couldn't get out. And the sound editing was really poor, making us have to strain to hear dialogue, at times. The performances were average, at best. My recommendation is a hard pass in the theater. Maybe catch it on Amazon or something like that.

More
24 Sep 2018 10:01 #282157 by hotseatgames
I saw Batman Ninja. Ever since seeing the trailer, I was super excited to check this out.

What a disappointment. :/

Visually, it's fantastic. Everything looks cool. Everything. Except for Bruce Wayne's face, I suppose. It seems overly large. But the story.... sucks. They set up this "plot" that allows them to have multiple Batman villains all in the same film, but frankly only two of them matter. The others barely do or say anything, and could have been excised for the better.

This would have made a much better video game than it did a film.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.920 seconds