Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

TOPIC: What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 15 Oct 2018 13:02 #283110

SebastianBludd wrote:
It's strange to say about this TV-show-turned-movie, but it was nice to see a mutually-devoted couple in a film without some bullshit contrivances in the script to make them fight or hate each other until the third act.
I don't think that's weird, Sebastian. Actually, lots of people feel the same. It's refreshing to see a family that is not just functional but actually great. The Addams don't fight, they love their children, they have an active sex life, their own hobbies, understand each other, etc. They support each other and do activies together. They are quite literally the opposite of the average fiction couple which exists to provide an excuse for two characters to be nasty to each other.

#RelationshipGoals man.
  • Erik Twice
  • NOW ONLINE
  • D8
  • Needs explosions
  • Thank you received: 1294
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, SebastianBludd, Ancient_of_MuMu, Nodens

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 16 Oct 2018 17:10 #283160

Got some plane viewing in going to Mexico.

Hereditary- I have extremely mixed feelings about this one.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Toni Collette was great it in it regardless- a tough, challenging performance.

A Quiet Place- Bad. A total gimmick horror movie. And it didn't work, because the gimmick introduced so many wildly illogical and implausible problems.
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Wow, I did not like this film at all. I can't think of a single thing I actually liked about it. I was hoping that the filmmakers would use it as an opportunity to do something with really cool, really smart sound design...but they didn't bother. Contrived, boring, and much dumber than you'd expect.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • HYPOCRITE
  • Thank you received: 7666
Last Edit: 16 Oct 2018 17:13 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 16 Oct 2018 17:25 #283163

interesting mix of movies Barnes. One that is better the less you think, and one that is better the more you think about it
  • Black Barney
  • D20
  • 10k Club
  • Thank you received: 3363
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 16 Oct 2018 18:38 #283167

Ha! Yes, that is absolutely the case. Hereditary has definitely stuck with me and I’ve been thinking about it constantly...it does linger.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • HYPOCRITE

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 17 Oct 2018 12:27 #283209

I saw mother! the other day. Did we already talk about this one here? Man, what a wild ride! I loved that Aronofsky wasn't afraid to just go completely wall-to-wall bonkers with it. I can see why it was very divisive, but I liked it quite a bit. I could say more, but I don't feel like dealing with spoiler text. Check it out if you're in the mood for something different.
  • Gregarius
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 750

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 17 Oct 2018 12:50 #283210

I had a post a couple years ago about it, Barnes posted about it buried somewhere in this thread and we chatted. It was completely OTT, I actually appreciated that its metaphor was not some sort of locked box that was difficult to understand. I'm sort of out of love with the conceit "here's something weird, spend hours online debating what it *really* means out of scraps I put in the film."
  • Gary Sax
  • Shelf Toad King
  • Thank you received: 3340
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 17 Oct 2018 17:00 #283227

I watched the Spielberg War of the Worlds last night. It is still my favourite 'person surviving the apocalypse' movie as I feel it handles crowd panic and tough survival decision really well. I think the final third once Tim Robbins appears is a bit poorly paced, but I can never put my finger on why as when I watch it there isn't a moment of that sequence I think should be cut. The ending is handled much better in the 50's version than in the this version, which is the only really weak part of the film.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 17 Oct 2018 17:15 #283229

I think that WotW is really quite underrated- I’m not quite sure why it didn’t find an audience...maybe too soon after 9/11?

Mother! Is amazing. That’s a great point that it is so blunt...it’s not cryptic or obscure. It’s metaphors and semiology is very blunt and up-front.
  • Michael Barnes
  • NOW ONLINE
  • Mountebank
  • HYPOCRITE

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 17 Oct 2018 17:40 #283230

I hate the son so much in WotW that it’s hard to overcome. I also don’t like that they bring him back. I think losing him would be a better ending when the mom comes out and sees Dakota fanning only and then she and cruise have a moment dealing with loss. It’s a little too clean.

And yeah I don’t like the Tim Robbins stuff either.

I’m a really huge fan of the original so that should be taken into consideration. I think Cruise gets better at those types of roles later on, but I don’t think he ever makes for a convincing parent.
  • Black Barney
  • D20
  • 10k Club
  • Thank you received: 3363
"We must let go of the life we had planned, so as to accept the one that is waiting for us." - Joseph Campbell

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 18 Oct 2018 12:12 #283289

Watching Cruise's character sing Little Deuce Coupe makes me cringe every time.
  • Hex Sinister
  • D8
  • Thank you received: 601

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching? 18 Oct 2018 14:35 #283306

Finally saw Bridget Jones' Diary. I lost my job two weeks ago, and see all kinds of analogies between job interviews and first dates. So it seems reasonable to catch up on romantic comedies right now. I am totally not the target audience for Bridget Jones' Diary, but it was a moderately entertaining way to pass the time. Everybody did a fine job, but the story was a bit simple. My favorite part was the end credits with the flashback to the leads as kids at a birthday party, set to the tune of a Rat Pack swing number.
  • Shellhead
  • D20
  • Thank you received: 3621
Time to create page: 0.547 seconds