October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
15 Oct 2018 15:02 #283110 by Erik Twice

SebastianBludd wrote: It's strange to say about this TV-show-turned-movie, but it was nice to see a mutually-devoted couple in a film without some bullshit contrivances in the script to make them fight or hate each other until the third act.

I don't think that's weird, Sebastian. Actually, lots of people feel the same. It's refreshing to see a family that is not just functional but actually great. The Addams don't fight, they love their children, they have an active sex life, their own hobbies, understand each other, etc. They support each other and do activies together. They are quite literally the opposite of the average fiction couple which exists to provide an excuse for two characters to be nasty to each other.

#RelationshipGoals man.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Cranberries, SebastianBludd, Ancient_of_MuMu, Nodens

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Oct 2018 19:10 - 16 Oct 2018 19:13 #283160 by Michael Barnes
Got some plane viewing in going to Mexico.

Hereditary- I have extremely mixed feelings about this one.
Warning: Spoiler!

Toni Collette was great it in it regardless- a tough, challenging performance.

A Quiet Place- Bad. A total gimmick horror movie. And it didn't work, because the gimmick introduced so many wildly illogical and implausible problems.
Warning: Spoiler!

Wow, I did not like this film at all. I can't think of a single thing I actually liked about it. I was hoping that the filmmakers would use it as an opportunity to do something with really cool, really smart sound design...but they didn't bother. Contrived, boring, and much dumber than you'd expect.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2018 19:13 by Michael Barnes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
16 Oct 2018 19:25 #283163 by Black Barney
interesting mix of movies Barnes. One that is better the less you think, and one that is better the more you think about it
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
16 Oct 2018 20:38 #283167 by Michael Barnes
Ha! Yes, that is absolutely the case. Hereditary has definitely stuck with me and I’ve been thinking about it constantly...it does linger.

More
17 Oct 2018 14:27 #283209 by Gregarius
I saw mother! the other day. Did we already talk about this one here? Man, what a wild ride! I loved that Aronofsky wasn't afraid to just go completely wall-to-wall bonkers with it. I can see why it was very divisive, but I liked it quite a bit. I could say more, but I don't feel like dealing with spoiler text. Check it out if you're in the mood for something different.

More
17 Oct 2018 14:50 #283210 by Gary Sax
I had a post a couple years ago about it, Barnes posted about it buried somewhere in this thread and we chatted. It was completely OTT, I actually appreciated that its metaphor was not some sort of locked box that was difficult to understand. I'm sort of out of love with the conceit "here's something weird, spend hours online debating what it *really* means out of scraps I put in the film."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
17 Oct 2018 19:00 #283227 by Ancient_of_MuMu
I watched the Spielberg War of the Worlds last night. It is still my favourite 'person surviving the apocalypse' movie as I feel it handles crowd panic and tough survival decision really well. I think the final third once Tim Robbins appears is a bit poorly paced, but I can never put my finger on why as when I watch it there isn't a moment of that sequence I think should be cut. The ending is handled much better in the 50's version than in the this version, which is the only really weak part of the film.

More
17 Oct 2018 19:15 #283229 by Michael Barnes
I think that WotW is really quite underrated- I’m not quite sure why it didn’t find an audience...maybe too soon after 9/11?

Mother! Is amazing. That’s a great point that it is so blunt...it’s not cryptic or obscure. It’s metaphors and semiology is very blunt and up-front.

More
17 Oct 2018 19:40 #283230 by Black Barney
I hate the son so much in WotW that it’s hard to overcome. I also don’t like that they bring him back. I think losing him would be a better ending when the mom comes out and sees Dakota fanning only and then she and cruise have a moment dealing with loss. It’s a little too clean.

And yeah I don’t like the Tim Robbins stuff either.

I’m a really huge fan of the original so that should be taken into consideration. I think Cruise gets better at those types of roles later on, but I don’t think he ever makes for a convincing parent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB

More
18 Oct 2018 14:12 #283289 by Hex Sinister
Watching Cruise's character sing Little Deuce Coupe makes me cringe every time.

More
18 Oct 2018 16:35 #283306 by Shellhead
Finally saw Bridget Jones' Diary. I lost my job two weeks ago, and see all kinds of analogies between job interviews and first dates. So it seems reasonable to catch up on romantic comedies right now. I am totally not the target audience for Bridget Jones' Diary, but it was a moderately entertaining way to pass the time. Everybody did a fine job, but the story was a bit simple. My favorite part was the end credits with the flashback to the leads as kids at a birthday party, set to the tune of a Rat Pack swing number.

More
19 Oct 2018 13:01 #283356 by Hex Sinister

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: The ending is handled much better in the 50's version than in the this version, which is the only really weak part of the film.

I can't understand why a technologically advanced civilization would stage a full-on planetary assault without first conducting an environmental study.

More
19 Oct 2018 13:50 #283359 by ChristopherMD

Hex Sinister wrote:

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: The ending is handled much better in the 50's version than in the this version, which is the only really weak part of the film.

I can't understand why a technologically advanced civilization would stage a full-on planetary assault without first conducting an environmental study.

Don't watch Signs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, Hex Sinister, Black Barney, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
19 Oct 2018 15:08 - 19 Oct 2018 15:29 #283366 by Josh Look
I saw the new HALLOWEEN last night and I have yet to shake it from my head. From a purely objective standpoint, it might be the best slasher film ever made, but don’t let the overwhelmingly positive reviews fool you, it’s still a slasher film. It still relies on the time-tested scare tactics and wastesyour time with ultimately disposable, at times annoying characters, but it also has some incredible acting, some fascinating role reversal stuff, and it’s eager to explore its themes, some of those explorations are great and one leaves you scratching your head. None of it isn’t anything we haven’t seen before, but it’s the most enjoyable the genre has been in ages, possibly ever. Carpenter’s atmosphere is missed and there’s one twist that is straight of a fever dream, but fans of this stuff should be very, very happy. I was.
Last edit: 19 Oct 2018 15:29 by Josh Look.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Michael Barnes, hotseatgames, Colorcrayons, engineer Al

More
19 Oct 2018 19:51 #283386 by Michael Barnes
Wow Josh- coming from you, a fellow horror fan of taste and dignity...now I’m interested.

I’m watching Ermenntari or whatever it is in Netflix. Spanish horror/dark fantasy. Like it quite a lot- reminds me of Jim Henson’s Storyteller. The demon in it is a full on demon with a pointy tail, pitchfork, the whole thing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.105 seconds