October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
25 Nov 2018 21:05 #286814 by Scott Rogers
Just finished up The Haunting of Hill House. I enjoyed it although it kind isn't really a ghost story... sort of....

Also watched a couple of episodes of the new season of the Great British Bake Off. Fuck you. It's good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Nov 2018 12:58 #286866 by cdennett

Scott Rogers wrote: Also watched a couple of episodes of the new season of the Great British Bake Off. Fuck you. It's good.

No, Fuck you, it's great. (though I do miss the original hosts, but don't miss Mary)

More
26 Nov 2018 14:28 #286877 by jpat
I guess I'm just in a disappoint-me mood.

Creed II might as well have been Creed 11, as far as I was concerned, because it was about that much of a drop-off from the first movie. Creed II is certainly a competent Rocky IV-II, but whatever was fresh and interesting about Creed has been flushed out for the paint-by-numbers sequel.

I was ok with Can You Ever Forgive Me?, which could very well contain, for all I know, the best Melissa McCarthy performance to date, but I'd rate it at no better than the second-best movie of 2018 featuring a heist from a university archive (the other being the admittedly much different American Animals). Like Creed, CYEFG? (?!) has good performances and a highly predictable, by-the-numbers structure that involves a misanthrope learning valuable lessons while falling short of full redemption.

I did quite enjoy Widows, which offered strong characterization and interesting situations if not always ones as shocking or surprising as the filmmakers might assume they would've been.

Did I miss the post where people weighed in on the new Suspiria? I thought it was ambitious and interesting if not really a film I got much out of or cared much for despite liking the first one and being open to a remake.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
26 Nov 2018 14:33 #286878 by Black Barney

jpat wrote:
I was ok with Can You Ever Forgive Me?, which could very well contain, for all I know, the best Melissa McCarthy performance to date, but I'd rate it at no better than the second-best movie of 2018

two things here:

1) How hard is it to have the best Melissa McCarthy performance to date? Seems like her first attempted drama should tick that box automatically.

2) rating it no better than the second best 2018 movie is pretty high praise!! This is a year we had Won't You Be My Neighbour, Eighth Grade, Paddington 2, Leave No Trace, Free Solo, The Rider, BlackKklansman.... and even super fun stuff like A Quiet Place, Black Panther, Death of Stalin and Hereditary! 2nd best movie of the year would have to be PRETTY DAMN GOOD. This is still the movie I want to see the most right now. i hope i don't miss it. i love dramatic breakout roles...
The following user(s) said Thank You: jpat

More
26 Nov 2018 15:02 #286885 by Shellhead

Scott Rogers wrote: Just finished up The Haunting of Hill House. I enjoyed it although it kind isn't really a ghost story... sort of....

Which one did you see? The 1963 movie or the 1999 movie?

More
26 Nov 2018 15:17 #286888 by ubarose

cdennett wrote:

Scott Rogers wrote: Also watched a couple of episodes of the new season of the Great British Bake Off. Fuck you. It's good.

No, Fuck you, it's great. (though I do miss the original hosts, but don't miss Mary)

Binge watched an entire season over the Thanksgiving break. I miss Sue.

More
26 Nov 2018 21:55 #286925 by Not Sure

ubarose wrote:

cdennett wrote:

Binge watched an entire season over the Thanksgiving break. I miss Sue.

If you have Hulu and need more Sue Perkins, I cannot recommend The Supersizers enough. A British food critic and Sue adventure through the various eras of Britain: living the lifestyle, wearing the clothes, and eating the food.

It drops off a bit in S2, but the first season is glorious.

(or it's also on YouTube, just sayin...)

More
26 Nov 2018 22:11 #286928 by Not Sure
We wanted to see a movie as a family, and I was outvoted about Ralph Breaks The Internet so we saw Fantastic Beasts instead. This prompted a round of "this is why you listen to Dad..." at the end, because that movie pretty much sucked.

The first half of the film was full of dubious camera choices, where it seemed that the camera was trying to get right in the face of whoever was talking, and the depth of field was about six inches. I guess it has to do with filming for 3D and squashing to 2D, but if you can't keep both ends of a fucking sitting room in focus in a shot, there's something wrong. Then cut to a super-blurry action scene with no real story beyond "look what SFX dreamed up!"

Then it's right back to "shot so close it cuts off the actors forehead" (literally), which is a bit more than necessary. The camera calms down a bit later on, but the movie gets to dumber and bigger random magic spells after that. Maybe it's that a theory of magic isn't really built up in school, but adult wizards appear to be able to do whatever the fuck they want, as long as it looks cool on a screen.

Makes the duels in the HP movies looks sort of silly, though. Why is everyone doing the same three curses when you can surround yourself with blue fire or smash buildings?

More
26 Nov 2018 22:22 #286929 by Gary Sax
I posted about it about ten pages back, jpat, but no one had really seen it yet...

More
27 Nov 2018 09:16 #286948 by hotseatgames
I watched Blackjack on Amazon Prime. This is an '80s / '90s anime about a black market surgeon that gets caught up in a web of intrigue. It's a really fun movie, except for one scene where he gets really mad and almost punches a woman in the face. She did threaten the entire population of the world, but still.

Anyway, I'm always on the lookout for feature-length anime films from this era. Stuff like Akira, Ninja Scroll, Fist of the North Star. Bring on your suggestions.

More
27 Nov 2018 16:23 - 27 Nov 2018 16:32 #286982 by jpat

Black Barney wrote: two things here:

1) How hard is it to have the best Melissa McCarthy performance to date? Seems like her first attempted drama should tick that box automatically.

You got me there.

2) rating it no better than the second best 2018 movie is pretty high praise!! This is a year we had Won't You Be My Neighbour, Eighth Grade, Paddington 2, Leave No Trace, Free Solo, The Rider, BlackKklansman.... and even super fun stuff like A Quiet Place, Black Panther, Death of Stalin and Hereditary! 2nd best movie of the year would have to be PRETTY DAMN GOOD. This is still the movie I want to see the most right now. i hope i don't miss it. i love dramatic breakout roles...

I was trying to be funny. I was saying it was the second-best movie of 2018 to feature a particular theme (stealing from a university archive).

I hope other people like. I may have just been in a blah mood.

I'm not ready (or qualified) to do a best-of, and I haven't seen Eighth Grade, Leave No Trace, or The Rider, but I'd pretty much endorse the rest and add the aforementioned American Animals, Sorry to Bother You, probably First Reformed, and, heck, maybe even Overlord.
Last edit: 27 Nov 2018 16:32 by jpat.

More
27 Nov 2018 18:17 #286989 by Black Barney
Oh man... Overlord... haven’t seen that but want to. How is it?

Im embarrassed I missed your obvious joke :(

More
28 Nov 2018 00:07 #286999 by Gary Sax

jpat wrote: Creed II might as well have been Creed 11, as far as I was concerned, because it was about that much of a drop-off from the first movie. Creed II is certainly a competent Rocky IV-II, but whatever was fresh and interesting about Creed has been flushed out for the paint-by-numbers sequel.

Saw this tonight. This comment is basically completely right but I liked it quite a bit more than jpat. It is one of those films where the cast made the average plot work.

More
28 Nov 2018 07:59 - 28 Nov 2018 08:08 #287003 by Cranberries

jpat wrote: Did I miss the post where people weighed in on the new Suspiria? I thought it was ambitious and interesting if not really a film I got much out of or cared much for despite liking the first one and being open to a remake.

Gary Sax wrote: I posted about it about ten pages back, jpat, but no one had really seen it yet...

October:

Gary Sax wrote: Just saw an advanced screening of Suspiria. It's extremely good. If you like horror (I generally don't) absolutely you have to see it in the theater.

From Wired:

OF ALL THE weird, blood-soaked thriller-horror flicks Italian director Dario Argento ever made, Suspiria is the one cinephiles most often like to name-drop. With good reason: It looks somewhat ham-fisted now, but it’s a brilliant piece, full of twisted witchcraft themes and an electric color palette that’s still eye-catching four decades later. With director Luca Guadagnino’s Suspiria set to hit theaters this week, it’s tempting to watch the 1977 original before seeing its modern reimagining. One piece of advice, though: Don’t.

www.wired.com/story/suspiria-movie-review/
Last edit: 28 Nov 2018 08:08 by Cranberries.

More
28 Nov 2018 09:51 #287014 by Shellhead
Jonny Mnemonic was better than I remembered. When I saw it back in the mid-'90s, I was disappointed by the low budget, the weak acting, and the vast distortion of the original story by William Gibson. I was also very disappointed that the sleek, raven-haired cyberpunk named Molly Millions was replaced with a relatively plain brunette called Jane. No mirrorshade implant, no deadly claws in her fingertips, just some quick HTH moves and attitude. And they added a new villain who was a towering Jesus freak allegedly loaded up with cybernetics, which felt like an affront to cyberpunk as a genre.

Seeing it again with fresh eyes, I realize that they did a heroic job with a small budget ($25 million), and the story was a reasonable adaptation given that Hollywood needed this to be an action movie. The acting is so-so, but the cast features Keanu Reeves, Ice-T, Dolph Lundgren, and Henry Rollins. Though Rollins has generally done over the top performances in bad movies, he works well in this one, threatening to steal scenes from Reeves at every chance. At one point, Lundgren's villain is torturing Rollins for information, asking "Who is Jones?" Rollins delivers his reply with panache: "Jones is the guy who is f***ing your mother." Even Jane is okay with me this time around. She is no Molly Millions, but she is plucky and her piercing gaze is alert and wary. As for the changes to the story, I saw in the credits that Gibson wrote this screenplay, so I can't complain about his story being handled poorly.

The concept remains relatively novel in a movie industry loaded with cliches and remakes. Jonny is a data courier who has overloaded his 160 gigabyte cranial implant with 320 gigabytes of data for his current run. A corporate black ops team attacks and disrupts the transmission of the three digital images that the receiver will need to unlock the data. Now people are desperate to extract that data from Jonny's head by any means necessary. Good pacing, plenty of action, low budgets fx and stunts that are adequate, and a story that is worth telling. On a scale of 1 to 10, I would call Jonny Mnemonic a weak seven. Watch it if it's convenient, but don't go out of your way to see it.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 1.640 seconds