October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Use the stickied threads for short updates.

Please consider adding your quick impressions and your rating to the game entry in our Board Game Directory after you post your thoughts so others can find them!

Please start new threads in the appropriate category for mini-session reports, discussions of specific games or other discussion starting posts.

What MOVIE(s) have you been....seeing? watching?

More
07 Jan 2019 11:11 #289347 by RobertB
My daughter and I watched a double bill Friday night; The VVitch and Airplane!.

We both liked The VVitch. I got a kick out of the 17th-century dialog, and that whole slow-burn horror thing, and she likes demonic horror films like The Exorcist or The Conjuring. I think that it would have been even creepier in a theater.

Afterwards, we watched Airplane!. I've seen it several times, but she had never seen it. We laughed at all the expected spots. I'll have to tell her sometime that it's the first, and arguably the best, of that sort of comedy.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Jan 2019 15:37 #289373 by Michael Barnes
The VVItch and Airplane...wow.

Recent viewing:

Venom- Good campy fun? Horribly dated junk? Both? Neither? I have no idea, this movie has me flummoxed. It appears to be awful, but it has an amiability that I kind of admire. And it is sort of crappily entertaining. Maybe it’s Tom Hardy impersonating Jeremy Renner? It really feels like a mid 90s comic book movie, which is kind of appropriate. I can’t really get next to this thing with Venom having nothing to do with Spider-Man, that’s just weird to me.

Bird Box- fucking horrible. Do not understand why it’s such a thing. It’s an oddly cruel, gruesome movie with a wagonload of postapocalypse tropes...all anchored to one of those idiot plots that makes the soft-headed wonder “OMG what if this really happened”. Dumb, boring, and with almost no redeeming qualities.

House with a Clock in its Walls- I thought this was pretty fun, sort of interesting to see Roth really kind of push it on some of the more Satanic-y elements but as in Sabrina, I liked that it didn’t shy away from diabolism. I like Cate Blanchett and Kyle MacLachlan in anything so they helped this picture’s case. Could do without the juvenile potty humor though.

Pokémon: I Choose You- kids were watching it and I was half asleep. It seemed like everyone was crying the entire time and there lots of unconscious Pokémon. Then a rainbow bird flew over them. The movie made me feel old.

Space Battleship Yamato- somehow I never saw the live action movie of the best anime series of all time. It starts off really well- it looks right, sounds right...I especially liked some of the direct visual interpolations, like Okita sitting at his command station with his hat over his eyes. And the costumes were almost perfect. When they fired the Wave Motion gun, it was just like the anime- with the stupid gun-like trigger that Kodai/Wildstar gets to pull after everyone puts on the goggles. But an hour in, I was thinking “where the hell is Desslar/Desslock”. He shows up and the Gamilas/Gamilons are some kind of spidery aliens and not blue people as Matsumoto intended. So from then on I watched the movie frowning.

Christine- I realized I had somehow never seen this Carpenter film from ‘83. I made it through 20 minutes of incredibly lame high school locker room talk before I tuned it out completely. It seems like just about any movie where teenage boys that look like they are 30 talk about how “we’re gonna get you laid” is bound to be terrible.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
07 Jan 2019 15:43 #289374 by Black Barney
I'm tired of people putting together such obvious double-bills like VVitch and Airplane! Show some creativity for crissakes
The following user(s) said Thank You: RobertB, sornars, GorillaGrody

More
07 Jan 2019 16:04 #289375 by RobertB
Tom Hardy talking to himself as Venom saves that movie.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
08 Jan 2019 10:20 #289411 by repoman
A Bridge Too Far seems to survive in popular culture because people think they should like it, not because they do. It is long but The Longest Day, the movie A Bridge Too Far is trying to replicate, is also long but you don't notice because it's a great film.

I think the real problem is that it doesn't effectively convey what the battle is about our what is going on so the viewer has no investment in the stakes. They try to explain it through exposition but even so, if you had no prior knowledge of the conflict, would you understand it after watching this film? I don't think so.

It has it's good moments. The very opening credits with the French woman's voice over gives me goosebumps. Elliot Gould's sequences around the blown up bridge are pretty good.

I also think that scene where Robert Redford berates the British tank commander for stopping for tea instead of rushing to Arnham is complete bullshit. Such a disservice to the Brits who would have been crushed if they advanced down that road without infantry support. A reflection of 1960's American arrogance perhaps.

Bird Box was utter garbage. I generally hate post apocalyptic movies but even among them this one is weak.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
08 Jan 2019 11:51 #289419 by hotseatgames
I finally got to see Annihilation. It's on Prime now. That movie is really good. It was late and I intended to watch part of it and pick it up today, but I ended up staying up and watching the whole thing.

If you like weird sci-fi, definitely check it out.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Cranberries, Gregarius

More
08 Jan 2019 13:28 #289425 by jeb

repoman wrote: A Bridge Too Far seems to survive in popular culture because people think they should like it, not because they do. It is long but The Longest Day, the movie A Bridge Too Far is trying to replicate, is also long but you don't notice because it's a great film.

I also think that scene where Robert Redford berates the British tank commander for stopping for tea instead of rushing to Arnham is complete bullshit. Such a disservice to the Brits who would have been crushed if they advanced down that road without infantry support. A reflection of 1960's American arrogance perhaps.

The idea that "if only" he hadn't stopped for tea meant that we'd take Arnhem and win the war in two weeks is also insulting. There was a LOT wrong with mission planning and execution for Market Garden; one guy taking a tea break wasn't going to be the thing that fucked it up. The whole idea of Market Garden is flawed. Montgomery wanted to end the war in twenty minutes and despite every other fucking general telling him it won't work, he tried it anyway. But only after screwing up logistics like nine different ways. The idea was bad. The planning, bad. The execution, bad. But yeah, let's carve out some time in a movie about it to make it seem like some guy taking ten minutes off from A WAR was why the op failed.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Black Barney, Jackwraith

More
09 Jan 2019 19:32 #289682 by Black Barney
Just rewatched ADVENTURELAND. In this movie Kristen Stewart looks like she doesn’t give a shit.

About to rewatch MIDNIGHT SPECIAL

More
09 Jan 2019 19:46 #289683 by hotseatgames
Another night, another movie on Amazon Prime. This time it's You Were Never Really Here, starring Joaquin Phoenix.

He plays a veteran who makes his living recovering kids from human traffickers. His weapon of choice is a ball-peen hammer. Most of the violence happens off camera. This movie was pretty tense and the sex crime stuff was uncomfortable, but frankly if this movie doesn't make you uncomfortable you are a monster. It's good though. Recommended.

More
13 Jan 2019 16:20 #289905 by Cranberries
So last night at BYU's International Cinema (which is free, if you happen to be in Provo), I finally saw "Won't You Be My Neighbor." They showed remarkable restraint in only obliquely mentioning the chaos and anxiety of the Trump era. They also depicted Mr. Rogers' evolving attitude towards a gay cast member (surprisingly, *not* Mr. McFeely). Fred Rogers comes off as markedly weirder, more gentle and interesting than I would have imagined. At one point I looked over at my wife and tears were running down her face. I am in my early fifties, and my wife and I were raised by Mr. Rogers. I also recalled pretty quickly that I used to have a real crush on Lady Aberlin. I also got the impression that those crew members who did go on camera were holding back some of the better stories.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney, Gregarius

More
13 Jan 2019 16:26 #289906 by Gary Sax
I would have a hard time watching because I'd probably be like your spouse. I grew up on him too while my peers were into fraggle rock and sesame street. I've always been uncool.

More
13 Jan 2019 16:37 #289907 by Black Barney
I’m pretty sure that’s the best movie of the year but it’s close. I had lots of tears too, it was nuts

More
14 Jan 2019 10:53 #289966 by BaronDonut
Favorite movies of 2018:

1. Sorry to Bother You
2. Annihilation
3. Into the Spiderverse
4. The Death of Stalin
5. Hereditary
6. Roma
7. The Favourite
8. Suspiria
9. Black Panther
10. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
The following user(s) said Thank You: GorillaGrody, JonathanVolk

More
14 Jan 2019 15:28 #289989 by Gregarius
Yeah, I went into Won't You Be My Neighbor? knowing full well that I'd be weeping at least once during the movie. It was rather freeing, actually. Fortunately, I restrained myself from the full-on, bawling, ugly-cry.

More
14 Jan 2019 20:02 #290002 by repoman
Solo: A Star Wars Story is streaming on Netflix. Having suffered through The Last Jedi, I had no impetus to go to the theater when this was current but in the luxury of my own home I figured why not.

I fell asleep about 35 minutes in. I watched for a little while longer and then figured I'd do the dishes. This movie, the parts I was awake for, weren't all that bad but they weren't good either. They were just there and the movie seemed to fall into that category of action films where it's just one chase scene after another.

I will say that Alden Ehrenreich didn't' seem to have much personal charisma nor did there seem to be any chemistry between him and Emilia Clarke who played Qi'Ra (?) nor with Donald Glover as Lando.

If you're bored and want something to play in the background as you paint minis or something, I suppose it'd be ok but it just has no heart to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.619 seconds